Reply: 10 - 62
Mikey_345
April 9, 2024, 11:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,502
Gold Stars: 107
Lots of possession first half, should have made more of it. Punished in the second half then tried to force it too much with a lot of aimless long balls.

It was a really poor game but think a point wouldn’t have been unfair and in truth the difference was a wonder strike.

Granted that’s a depressing place to be, to be thinking a point would have been a decent result at Harrogate but we have to judge with the context we find ourselves in.

Tiny step forward with the gap been the same and one less game available to FGR (who I think are done in terms of catching us) and Colchester (who I think stay up).

Saturday a big day now, I’m keeping my eye on that Harrogate Sutton game as much as ours. They fail to get something - it’s going to be tough to pull us back from there. An upside (yes, hurts me to even say it) Harrogate now within 4 of the playoffs so may fancy a late sniff of getting in there so might not be on the beach quite yet.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
ska face
April 9, 2024, 11:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,750
Gold Stars: 851
So, so, so bad on every level. Never seen a side so incapable of looking after the ball. Honestly don’t think we managed three consecutive passes in that second half. Mullarkey might as well have sent some of his passes by carrier pigeon as they’d have got there quicker.

Special mention for Holohan who surely has played himself out of a contract offer tonight, Thompson seemed a yard off the pace but Holohan was two yards behind that. Missed two golden opportunities to cap off an awful display. Describing Andrews’ performance would be a waste of valuable internet space. Just junk all round.

The second half was píssed away as the management refused to make any attacking change until gone 70mins for some reason - our efforts best summed up when defensive midfielder Green slid a ball down the line for Centre-half Rogers to chase, and it was shepherded out of play.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Abdul19
April 9, 2024, 11:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Absolutely mental that we were favourites to win that, just rubbish. Thought Eastwood could've done better with the goal but I was sat about 120 metres away and will probably never watch the highlights.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
thornemariner
April 9, 2024, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from barralad
The wind made it a  game of two halves. The outstanding difference was that Harrogate were prepared to shoot.
First half we pressed well but unfortunately we are relying on a 20 year old rookie to hold the ball up until we can get numbers up there.
Being in the side stand near the half way line I couldn't comment on the disallowed goal but it sèmed harsh.
Second half they used the wind to fire shots in from all over the place. Eastwood could maybe have done better with the goal but he was allowed to shoot.
There was a sense of ineviitability about the result once Town went behind. Plenty of effort to win the ball only to give it back with some shocking decision making and passing.
The subs made no real difference and Harrogste saw the game out fairly comfortably. Eastwood atoned for any blame for the goal with three or four really good saves.
Thsrme and Thompson battled well but overall the game panned out like too many this season.

Agree with everything you say Barra. Enjoyed your company tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
thornemariner
April 9, 2024, 11:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from moosey_club
Biggest influence on that result was Artell. Overly defensive set up with no guile at all wasted a great opportunity to grab safety with a win.
Obikwu absolutely awful, sorry but he just was, how the hell he avoided the hook for so long before he finally went off I don't know...Artell's choice though.
Despite watching them all season I was still somehow shocked tonight by how poor the majority of the squad is.
Artells choice of starting 11 restricted us massively, hesitation in changing it up gave the subs little chance.

Crap all round.

I've said that I'm often surprised at how poor we are despite seeing them plenty of times this season. Can't wait for the campaign to end.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
pontoonlew
April 9, 2024, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 178
Brought along a non town supporter tonight and felt embarrassed that was the standard we served up. It was atrocious from start to finish in terms of quality, neither side deserved to win. The officials also did their bit to ensure everyone who stepped on the pitch was as shite as each other.

Agreed on Obikwu, he gets into decent positions to score but he’s absolutely bloody awful with the ball at his feet. I remember him doing one good turn tonight when it dawned on me that’s the only time I’ve seen him adequately control a football in weeks. He’s young and learning but my god we look poor with him in the side.

Crewe away next weekend then I’m done watching for a few months, cannot wait.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
chaos33
April 9, 2024, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
Agree with everything written. All I’d add is….
Thought the game summed up why we are where we are.
In so many ways.

We have a crying need for players who are an upgrade technically. The glaring inability to control and pass the ball with any consistency is absolutely stark and was contrasted in basic terms by Harrogate’s second half performance in spells. At no point in the whole game did we show any creativity, guile or real skill. First half we had more ball retention and impetus, but, as always, failed to capitalise. The one chance we fashioned, we fluffed.
I’d have to see the footage of the disallowed goal to judge the decision.

If we want to do better next season - and we must - then I only saw 4 or 5 players on the pitch tonight who should be here next season. That’s the truth.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
davmariner
April 9, 2024, 11:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,957
Gold Stars: 79
Keen to draw a line under this one and move on. The less said about it the better. When will some of them realise that they’re effectively playing for their professional careers? Special mention for Hume who was simply awful when he came on.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
trickeymickey
April 9, 2024, 11:58pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from pontoonlew
Brought along a non town supporter tonight and felt embarrassed that was the standard we served up. It was atrocious from start to finish in terms of quality, neither side deserved to win. The officials also did their bit to ensure everyone who stepped on the pitch was as shite as each other.

Agreed on Obikwu, he gets into decent positions to score but he’s absolutely bloody awful with the ball at his feet. I remember him doing one good turn tonight when it dawned on me that’s the only time I’ve seen him adequately control a football in weeks. He’s young and learning but my god we look poor with him in the side.

Crewe away next weekend then I’m done watching for a few months, cannot wait.

Look on the bright side.  The Alex are struggling to get a side out.  10 injured last week and a red card tonight.
I think you will just scrape through.  Best of luck - you dont want to go down again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.