Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

JS where are you.!!!!

This thread currently has 13,896 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 30, 2024, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,701
Gold Stars: 189
I'm not talking about the current situation. It's the bizarre theory that Stockwood and Pettit only bought the club as a vanity project. It's only 5 minutes since the new ownership was being praised as a breath of fresh air. Now they are somehow conning us?

Utter nonsense, I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 182
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2024, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Like everyone else, I’m hoping that a couple of decent results this week seals our EFL future but the season, as a whole, has been a fking shambles. Rumours that Shrewsbury tapped up Hurst in the summer, uncertainty over the signings, ownership input into playing style, it just looks muddled and disorganised. We were told, after promotion, that this wouldn’t happen again.

Let’s be honest, apart from a bit of painting and a new Ponny roof (both cosmetic), we’re not much better off than we were when they took over- a lot of talk but no substance.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 182
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2024, 9:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,807
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from mariner91

Their vision hasn't helped. But the bulk of the blame lies squarely with Hurst who put together an unbalanced, unathletic and incompetent squad. We weren't brilliant last season most of the time and after a reasonable start when on a run in the league of winning only 4 games from mid September until the end of January. Only the signings of Lloyd and to a lesser extent Emmanuel stopped the rot and if you look at points won after January there's only one game where our goals weren't either scored or assisted by players we lost in the summer notably Lloyd, McAtee, Orsi and Emmanuel.

The midfield was poor last season, there was an issue at left back where teams were targeting us, Waterfall's legs were starting to fail him, Smith would go back and we'd lose the bulk of our attacking threat in McAtee and Lloyd. The midfield wasn't improved other than Conteh but it's a sad situation if you're reliant on a 20 year old in his first full FL season. Clifton, Holohan and Green have no quality on the ball. Hunt is ineffective and something isn't right there. And we signed Andrews who is too green without some competent experienced help around him. The left back situation wasn't rectified and to make matters worse Hurst signed a left winger who may as well not be on the pitch when out of possession. Waterfall wasn't replaced and Rodgers being signed on a three year deal was an abysmal decision. To make matters worse at the back he also signed a first choice right back who is just about competent as a right sided centre back with two others alongside him but gets regularly rinsed at right back and  Hurst replaced a competent goalkeeper with two who are just nowhere near good enough. The only area of recruitment that wasn't completely wretched was up front where without Rose we'd have been relegated weeks ago but even then our number 9 can't play as a central striker, had been played as a wing back for the last two seasons and had managed a grand total of 8 FL goals when he signed for us at the age of 25. Even if you include his goals scored in the NL he'd managed 13 goals in the professional game which equals less than two a season since he started.

Ultimately the squad had severe limitations after the end of last season, existing issues weren't solved and new problems were created from poor recruitment. Why the recruitment was so bad I don't think we'll ever know for sure but if we go down it is more Hurst's fault than anyone else. The worst pre-season recruitment we've ever seen other than Holloway's Covid madness.

It was a shocking recruitment process as you say, but I still think the desire to shift to a more data led recruitment process has brought more problems than its worth. Most of those signings go against common sense, and let's be honest Paul Hurst on his own would not have signed that imbalanced,  slow and unathletic squad.

Obviously he had some input, particularly the players he has previously worked with but if you have owners who have stuck by you who are obsessed with data led decisions it is difficult to say no.

The blend is what matters, and any experienced manager would put together a better squad than this without outside interference from a spread sheet.

Things may have been compounded by a lack of budget, but nobody knows what that was.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 182
friskneymariner
March 30, 2024, 9:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not talking about the current situation. It's the bizarre theory that Stockwood and Pettit only bought the club as a vanity project. It's only 5 minutes since the new ownership was being praised as a breath of fresh air. Now they are somehow conning us?

Utter nonsense, I'm afraid.

Time will tell

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 182
marinerjase
March 30, 2024, 9:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,705
Gold Stars: 156
Absolute rubbish.

I’ll reiterate.. what is there to gain from being ‘in power’ at a club like Grimsby??

Nothing.

You won’t get a return on your investment, in fact you’ll forever be paying out. And you’ll have thousands telling to what you should be doing.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 182
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2024, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
People are waking up to realise we have been conned on a massive scale. I sincerely believe this was a vanity project by  Stockwood from the outset,it has badly misfired on him .I realise it's not a comfortable feeling to realise that you have been conned ,but there you have it.

I've no idea whether you will be proved right, but I haven't warmed to Stockwood at all. He always sound condescending to me, and always talks in such general terms it's not worth listening to.

We know his philosophy; we don't need it repeating ad infinitum but being a practical sort of chap I am interested how his philosophy actually works in practice. You might be right, perhaps it is a vanity project in the sense that he is trying to prove a football club can be run and be successful in using his values as a template but I suppose any owner wants his methods enacted.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 182
mariner91
March 30, 2024, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,834
Gold Stars: 264

It was a shocking recruitment process as you say, but I still think the desire to shift to a more data led recruitment process has brought more problems than its worth. Most of those signings go against common sense, and let's be honest Paul Hurst on his own would not have signed that imbalanced,  slow and unathletic squad.

Obviously he had some input, particularly the players he has previously worked with but if you have owners who have stuck by you who are obsessed with data led decisions it is difficult to say no.

The blend is what matters, and any experienced manager would put together a better squad than this without outside interference from a spread sheet.

Things may have been compounded by a lack of budget, but nobody knows what that was.

The only player we know for sure that had a large or almost entire input from the Head of Recruitment was Conteh. Who is one of the two good signings we made and who without, we'd have struggled signficantly more this season. And every man and his dog knows that Danny Rose is a good striker for L2.

Vernam and Mullarkey were previous targets of Hurst's before the head of recruitment came in, only one of them is FL standard and he's regularly out injured. Eisa and Eastwood had both worked with Hurst before. Hurst is also one of the most stubborn feckers you'll ever come across and I highly doubt he'd allow a player to be signed that he didn't want. And it's a total nonsense to suggest he wouldn't have put together a squad that was so poor on his own, he'd done exactly that the season before. Left to his own devices he'd done things as daft as paying a transfer fee for Kieran Green and giving him a three year contract. And in the 2016/17 season had signed players like James Berrett, Sean McAllister, Andrew Boyce, Ashley Chambers, Tom Bolarinwa and Rhys Browne who were all utterly dreadful. He replaced Padraig Amond with Scott Vernon! I know you have an irrational hatred of data but the fact is that virtually every time Paul Hurst had a transfer window in the FL with Town, his recruitment was beyond woeful. The odd actually quality player like Danny Andrews, Danny Collins and Jay Matete but in the main mostly shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 182
MuddyWaters
March 30, 2024, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236

I've no idea whether you will be proved right, but I haven't warmed to Stockwood at all. He always sound condescending to me, and always talks in such general terms it's not worth listening to.

We know his philosophy; we don't need it repeating ad infinitum but being a practical sort of chap I am interested how his philosophy actually works in practice. You might be right, perhaps it is a vanity project in the sense that he is trying to prove a football club can be run and be successful in using his values as a template but I suppose any owner wants his methods enacted.

He’s doubtless a very talented businessman within his field but he’s made his money from businesses that have had few variables. He very quickly, as a result of his interviews, earned the nickname Billy Bulls**t in our house. He talks a very good game but, in truth, he’s out of his comfort zone.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 182
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2024, 10:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,050
Gold Stars: 235

Do you actually know how the data is actually utilised? You consistently seem very dismissive of that approach so clearly you have an informed view?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 182
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2024, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Do you actually know how the data is actually utilised? You consistently seem very dismissive of that approach so clearly you have an informed view?

All data is flawed. You can  interpret it any way you like, and the parameters for collecting it are either too narrow or too broad. I learned that aged 16 at College and have never forgotten it!

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 182
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.