4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Really interesting interview from the guys at NotTheTop20 Pod with Omar Chaudhuri who is the Chief Information Officer at Twenty First Group - https://podfollow.com/1112915286/episode/bc62c8b31898b20e02e5456039effbef84364818/view

I think it's fair to say we've not yet seen any impact from the link up with Twenty First Group so far (not saying stuff isn't happening) but lots and lots of talk in the interview about the lack of League One and League Two clubs taking advantage of the refreshed and relaxed rules around bringing in foreign players.

Good conversation around why this is generally the case (mainly high risk, lack of re-sale market if unsuccessful etc.) but this and a couple of comments from Artell make me think we'll see a bit of activity in this arena this summer.  The question will be in which market.  Chaudhuri was prompted for which are the untapped markets but he was quite guarded (as expected) about that but gave a good insight in that it's not a simple of case of targeting just a region or a league (huge difference in quality at the top end to the bottom end of the Eredivisie for example).

Anyway, well worth 50 minutes of your listening.
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
March 27, 2024, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,711
Gold Stars: 236
Obviously the bulk of our summer business will be done within the more normal channels- players who have previously played under the manager, agents "recommendations" and scouting possible signings but we might be able to pick up the odd gem.

Might being the operative word there as it is just as much a lottery, perhaps more so.

I'm sure we understand we need a solid league 2 squad for next season who weren't brought in to play out of position, have a terrible injury record, have relegation in their DNA and have the pace of a geriatric tortoise.

It's a big, big summer coming up assuming we stay up.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Croxton
March 27, 2024, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Obviously the bulk of our summer business will be done within the more normal channels- players who have previously played under the manager, agents "recommendations" and scouting possible signings but we might be able to pick up the odd gem.

Might being the operative word there as it is just as much a lottery, perhaps more so.

I'm sure we understand we need a solid league 2 squad for next season who weren't brought in to play out of position, have a terrible injury record, have relegation in their DNA and have the pace of a geriatric tortoise.

Good post. As far as pace goes, I can't think of the last genuine quickie we signed in the last five years. Plenty arrive with the 'pacy' label attached, e.g Obikwu,  but it is soon apparent that the opposite is true.

I make no assumptions at this stage. The form guide, ppg, our record against Barrow are all irrelevant. I'll be there in hope but not expectation. As Chaos and Ginny know, The Lakes is an unpredictable destination.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Poojah
March 27, 2024, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500

It’ll be even bigger if we don’t.

I think the notion of us looking further afield is an interesting one. Evidently, if you can identify some targets capable of playing at our standard that aren’t being tracked by other English clubs, it should in theory make attracting them that bit easier. Fair to say our record with foreign imports has been patchy to say the least this past 25 years. Off the top of my head:

Jason Batty
David Neilsen
Knut Anders Fostervold
Menno Willems
Zhang Enhua
JP Kalala
JP Akpa-Akpro
Mickael Buscher
Ludvig Ohman
Seb Ring
Moses Ogbu

I’ve probably missed a couple of names, but most of the above are pretty forgettable (Neilsen and Enhua the obvious exceptions). Of course, they each arrived under different circumstances and in very different eras, but there’s a natural degradation of available data on players the more obscure into Europe and beyond you go, which makes accurate recruitment a lot more challenging.

I remain to be convinced we can make this kind of thing work, but time may tell.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 27, 2024, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
If they are any good and of international standard, we need to have a few internationals in the squad otherwise we could be without them for 6-8 games over the course of the season which could be have a huge bearing on our final position.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm not convinced we'll be getting internationals in.  I imagine it will be more the unearthed diamonds from the Belgium 3rd tier or something like that.

In the interview Barnsley were cited as the only lower league club who have dabbled consistently in the overseas market, with a bit of a nod towards Lincoln and Fleetwood for their Irish signings.  There's part of me that thinks that's a huge area of potential, but then the cynic in me thinks that might be the case for a reason.   I think probably there is scope to get in there and find a few rough diamonds and smooth them off.

I know it didn't go to plan but it's another example of Michael Jolley trying something that could have been really impressive.  Ohman, Ring and Ogbu all coming over from the Swedish leagues was a bit of a throw back to Lennie Lawrence's time.  Ring never looked up to the hustle and bustle of League Two but Ohman in particular started incredibly well whereas Ogbu had moments where he was just unplayable (Mansfield away very early in the Holloway era, might have been his first game actually and Exeter away).  

I think the thing is that we've got to be prepared, should we go down this path, to accept the wins and losses.  Just like in the domestic market, there's good bits of business and bad bits.  It just feels the scrutiny and expectation is more for foreign signings.  Not all will work, but it doesn't that some won't.   I'm really eager to see what level of advantage we get from Twenty First Group in this link-up.  Another really interesting point was the two lads from the podcast (Ali and George) are linking up with TFG in a partnership focused on the EFL.  It was loosely described as a bit of blend between the data from TFG and more of that knowledge/feel perspective from the 'experts' in the EFL.  A very, very clear message that football isn't just played on a spreadsheet.  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
sam gy
March 27, 2024, 4:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Poojah

It’ll be even bigger if we don’t.

I think the notion of us looking further afield is an interesting one. Evidently, if you can identify some targets capable of playing at our standard that aren’t being tracked by other English clubs, it should in theory make attracting them that bit easier. Fair to say our record with foreign imports has been patchy to say the least this past 25 years. Off the top of my head:

Jason Batty
David Neilsen
Knut Anders Fostervold
Menno Willems
Zhang Enhua
JP Kalala
JP Akpa-Akpro
Mickael Buscher
Ludvig Ohman
Seb Ring
Moses Ogbu

I’ve probably missed a couple of names, but most of the above are pretty forgettable (Neilsen and Enhua the obvious exceptions). Of course, they each arrived under different circumstances and in very different eras, but there’s a natural degradation of available data on players the more obscure into Europe and beyond you go, which makes accurate recruitment a lot more challenging.

I remain to be convinced we can make this kind of thing work, but time may tell.

Put some respect on Hamish Watson's name!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 4:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Knut Anders Fostervold did go onto have some serious success after his spell with us.

It was as a professional cyclist mind.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
diehardmariner
March 27, 2024, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Good post. As far as pace goes, I can't think of the last genuine quickie we signed in the last five years. Plenty arrive with the 'pacy' label attached, e.g Obikwu,  but it is soon apparent that the opposite is true.

Tom Bolarinwa?

Owura Edwards was pretty quick but I wouldn't say lightning fast.  I didn't realise he joined Colchester on a permanent deal last summer. Looks to have had a few serious injury issues and only just getting back into the run of it, just in time to play us...
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 27, 2024, 5:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
We had an Italian bloke who did alright...

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Twenty First Group / Overseas Market

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.