toontown
March 27, 2024, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm not convinced we'll be getting internationals in.  I imagine it will be more the unearthed diamonds from the Belgium 3rd tier or something like that.

In the interview Barnsley were cited as the only lower league club who have dabbled consistently in the overseas market, with a bit of a nod towards Lincoln and Fleetwood for their Irish signings.  There's part of me that thinks that's a huge area of potential, but then the cynic in me thinks that might be the case for a reason.   I think probably there is scope to get in there and find a few rough diamonds and smooth them off.

I know it didn't go to plan but it's another example of Michael Jolley trying something that could have been really impressive.  Ohman, Ring and Ogbu all coming over from the Swedish leagues was a bit of a throw back to Lennie Lawrence's time.  Ring never looked up to the hustle and bustle of League Two but Ohman in particular started incredibly well whereas Ogbu had moments where he was just unplayable (Mansfield away very early in the Holloway era, might have been his first game actually and Exeter away).  

I think the thing is that we've got to be prepared, should we go down this path, to accept the wins and losses.  Just like in the domestic market, there's good bits of business and bad bits.  It just feels the scrutiny and expectation is more for foreign signings.  Not all will work, but it doesn't that some won't.   I'm really eager to see what level of advantage we get from Twenty First Group in this link-up.  Another really interesting point was the two lads from the podcast (Ali and George) are linking up with TFG in a partnership focused on the EFL.  It was loosely described as a bit of blend between the data from TFG and more of that knowledge/feel perspective from the 'experts' in the EFL.  A very, very clear message that football isn't just played on a spreadsheet.  

I seem to remember that moses performance at Mansfield divided peoples opinion, although not Holloway's he got rid of him pretty soon after if I remember. In fact he divided opinion generally, definitely an unusual player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
male private Nale
March 27, 2024, 6:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
More bloody foreigners, no thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
forza ivano
March 27, 2024, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from male private Nale
More bloody foreigners, no thanks

your user name sums you up                                            tw*t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Yarborough Vaults
March 27, 2024, 6:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Thomas Pinault. One minute a genius, the next 'The French man was a disgrace'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Swansea_Mariner
March 27, 2024, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I guess it's the same risk reward model as taking and developing bigger club cast offs, some will work out like Conteh others like Hunt.

One thing to consider though is the levels within different systems and league 2 is probably on par with a fair few nations top leagues (bar the top few clubs).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
jamesgtfc
March 27, 2024, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I guess it's the same risk reward model as taking and developing bigger club cast offs, some will work out like Conteh others like Hunt.

One thing to consider though is the levels within different systems and league 2 is probably on par with a fair few nations top leagues (bar the top few clubs).

I think the easiest way to judge the quality of a league and likelihood of players being good enough is to see what level that league signs English players from. The SPL, for example, seems to sign a fair few players from the National League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Meza
March 27, 2024, 7:03pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Poojah

It’ll be even bigger if we don’t.

I think the notion of us looking further afield is an interesting one. Evidently, if you can identify some targets capable of playing at our standard that aren’t being tracked by other English clubs, it should in theory make attracting them that bit easier. Fair to say our record with foreign imports has been patchy to say the least this past 25 years. Off the top of my head:

Jason Batty
David Neilsen
Knut Anders Fostervold
Menno Willems
Zhang Enhua
JP Kalala
JP Akpa-Akpro
Mickael Buscher
Ludvig Ohman
Seb Ring
Moses Ogbu

I’ve probably missed a couple of names, but most of the above are pretty forgettable (Neilsen and Enhua the obvious exceptions). Of course, they each arrived under different circumstances and in very different eras, but there’s a natural degradation of available data on players the more obscure into Europe and beyond you go, which makes accurate recruitment a lot more challenging.

I remain to be convinced we can make this kind of thing work, but time may tell.

No Ivano, i know you said some might be missing but Ivano, c'mon Poojah have a word   

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
HerveJosse
March 27, 2024, 7:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Most of those obviously not all were able to come and work in the uk on the  back of EU passports. Presumably that is no longer the case?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Theimperialcoroner
March 27, 2024, 7:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,212
Gold Stars: 102
In one of his recent pressers DA did mention something about looking further afield for players to come in. Suggested this is going on now. I think we will see more of an impact with him in charge linked to the recruitment dude than we did under Hurst given the latters preference of working with someone beforehand.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 27, 2024, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Meza

No Ivano, i know you said some might be missing but Ivano, c'mon Poojah have a word   

I thought crocombe would be an obvious one too

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Twenty First Group / Overseas Market

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.