4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
March 27, 2024, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Thought last nights game was quite entertaining & competitive for a meaningless friendly that in reality you can't judge any side on. We had quite a few chances that with better finishes would have been converted. Also on a few occasions players tried to score when there where better options in space.

If you read between the lines I think this will be Gareth's last tournament, as I said above overall in terms of culture and engagement he's made the England squad a better place to be for players but it certainly feels like someone new now needs to come in to truly get the best out of the talent we have.  

Who takes the reigns next is a bit of a conundrum to be honest as I don't think they have to necessarily be English but my belief is they should have had to have won something,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Mappers
March 27, 2024, 8:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer
We played some good stuff at times last night, but the number of times we were tip-tapping at the edge of their box (or inside it), yet didn't get a shot away was really frustrating. I'm comparison, they got a shot on goal or a cross in almost every time they entered our box.

Terrible errors from the defence for their goals. No idea what Pickford was doing and I've no idea why Dunk panicked and lunged in to try and clear that ball. He was ahead of Lukaku and could have tapped it out easily if he'd taken another pace or two. A beautiful cross from Lukaku for the goal after that, however.

A very inexperienced defence in international terms once Stones went off, and Gomez just isn't up to it as a full-back. Chilwell did OK after an apparently poor performance on Saturday night (only caught the odd snatch of that game). Toney took the penalty well, managed a couple of decent runs but otherwise didn't do a great deal, albeit against a very solid defence.

Watkins did well to stop the ball going out for the equaliser but I don't think he's near being a top-quality international striker. If Kane is injured, we'll struggle as Toney, Watkins and Rashford aren't good enough reliably enough in my opinion.

We've got some very talented midfielders (Mainoo looked very capable last night for such a young lad), but I'm not sure that will be quite enough unless someone like Bellingham has a fantastic tournament.

Just as long as Henderson doesn't get near the squad...

I really like John Stones , on the admitted small sample size of games I have seen him as I don't watch many of either England or City - I thought the few times I saw him for City as a midfield player he looked brilliant - have they tried him there alongside Rice ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Maringer
March 27, 2024, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
We need Stones in defence. For the first time that I can remember, we've got loads of decent central midfielders available. Relatively speaking, of course. We badly need Walker back and fit because we've got nobody else who can play on the right side of defence/right back who is anywhere near as good at present. Unless Ben White comes back in from the cold.

It's difficult, though, because Bellingham has apparently been playing a more advanced role for Real (hence the 20 goals scored so far), but I think we're probably going to see him playing a bit deeper than that for England. He was trying to do both jobs last night and overcooked it a bit at times, but still scored the important goal, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
supertown
March 27, 2024, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
The defence is the biggest worry . I would take quasnah, he looks quality. We are lacking in reliable centre half’s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Maringer
March 27, 2024, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
Is Shaw going to be fit? He's by far the best left-back we have.

That said, Chilwell didn't do bad last night, so a decent replacement if necessary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Sigone
March 27, 2024, 1:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Who takes the reigns next is a bit of a conundrum to be honest as I don't think they have to necessarily be English but my belief is they should have had to have won something,

Southgate will take the Manure job (pmsl) and Klopp will take the England job..so my tea leaves said this morning..or it could be that my PG tips bag just broke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
HertsGTFC
March 27, 2024, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Sigone

Southgate will take the Manure job (pmsl) and Klopp will take the England job..so my tea leaves said this morning..or it could be that my PG tips bag just broke.

Klopp would be well set up for international football as he already thinks the World is against him.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Posh Harry
March 27, 2024, 1:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Maringer
Is Shaw going to be fit? He's by far the best left-back we have.

That said, Chilwell didn't do bad last night, so a decent replacement if necessary.

In theory shaw will be fit but unlikely to be able to play all the games in a short space of time.

I actually thought chilwell has been poor in both games. His distribution going forward is really poor and you must have quality in those positions at international level. Interestingly, the longer the game went on the less his colleagues passed to him as they were chasing the game and didn’t trust him.

That whole defence is a worry, Maguire looked better when not playing for manure than he does now so the whole left side of defence is a real issue
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
Gaffer58
March 27, 2024, 3:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Stop worrying, Southgate has it all planned out, Henderson playing in front of the back 4, in fact when Southgate gets the manure job Henderson will be his first signing on a 5 year contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Heisenberg
March 27, 2024, 4:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,068
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Posh Harry

In theory shaw will be fit but unlikely to be able to play all the games in a short space of time.

I actually thought chilwell has been poor in both games. His distribution going forward is really poor and you must have quality in those positions at international level. Interestingly, the longer the game went on the less his colleagues passed to him as they were chasing the game and didn’t trust him.

That whole defence is a worry, Maguire looked better when not playing for manure than he does now so the whole left side of defence is a real issue

Chilwell seemed to be scared to go forward, he passed it backwards every time he saw an opponent anywhere near him.

I would have liked to see Levi Colwill given a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › England v Brazil / Belgium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.