dapperz fun pub
March 24, 2024, 8:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,955
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from pen penfras

But he's achieved more in knockout tournaments than any other manager in the last 30 years with arguably the worst talent pool to pick from. Be fair, he's done alright

He’s had very easy runs to get him to these semi finals /finals and the moment we’ve played anyone any good we’ve lost ( we did beat a average German team I admit ) I’m not convinced by him and if going deep into tournaments is success rather than winning them Gareth’s ur man  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
pontoonlew
March 24, 2024, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from pen penfras

But he's achieved more in knockout tournaments than any other manager in the last 30 years with arguably the worst talent pool to pick from. Be fair, he's done alright

The worst talent pool? It can be strongly argued that he’s had the best IMO.

The golden generation of Gerrard, Beckham etc was a fantastic starting lineup, the players that Southgate has represents a very good 26 man squad, something we’ve never had before.

I’m not sure last night was really down to Southgate, but I’m definitely in the camp of not rating him. I read a stat last week that said he’d won 4 games from 24 fixtures versus teams in the top 10 at the time of playing, last night makes that 4 in 25. That’s an absolutely dreadful stat for a side that should be challenging for the top prizes now and I can name multiple games where Southgate has been directly at fault for it (I’ll never forgive that Euros final).

I’m going to the Euros this year and I’m buzzing for it, but last night slightly dampened that optimism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Hagrid
March 24, 2024, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 534
Had 12 Regulars missing didnt they? I dont follow the National team but is a loss to Brazil with most of the first 11 missing really an issue in a friendly? Not too sure it is.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
pen penfras
March 24, 2024, 9:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from pontoonlew

The worst talent pool? It can be strongly argued that he’s had the best IMO.

The golden generation of Gerrard, Beckham etc was a fantastic starting lineup, the players that Southgate has represents a very good 26 man squad, something we’ve never had before.

I’m not sure last night was really down to Southgate, but I’m definitely in the camp of not rating him. I read a stat last week that said he’d won 4 games from 24 fixtures versus teams in the top 10 at the time of playing, last night makes that 4 in 25. That’s an absolutely dreadful stat for a side that should be challenging for the top prizes now and I can name multiple games where Southgate has been directly at fault for it (I’ll never forgive that Euros final).

I’m going to the Euros this year and I’m buzzing for it, but last night slightly dampened that optimism.

Having a squad with similar quality good players isn't better than a team with about 12 exceptional players and poor backup. It's the first choice 11 that you put out and ours is nowhere near the best teams. Our back 5 is the worst I can remember.

A manager's performance should be judged on how far you go vs where your team should be. Whether we had lucky runs or not, we've only ever done better than Southgate once and a lot more than half the country weren't born when that happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
1mickylyons
March 24, 2024, 9:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
GS is a perfect fit for the FA but not for a team wanting to win tournaments hes got no pedigree or killer instinct. The only thing is who on earth can you bring in to win something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
HertsGTFC
March 24, 2024, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 1mickylyons
GS is a perfect fit for the FA but not for a team wanting to win tournaments hes got no pedigree or killer instinct. The only thing is who on earth can you bring in to win something?

For the job that needed doing Southgate was absolutely the right appointment at that time as too many good players couldn’t care less about playing for England as the culture & environment was so poor.

Southgate has fixed that & players at varying stages of their careers want to be part of the set up, respect the manager & have pride in the shirt again.

Gareth has completed his objective but it now needs someone to come in after the euros to take tte hand brake off and maximise the talent at their disposal, I have now idea who but I suspect it will be Eddie Howe.

The other thing is you have to take international football in the context it is. It’s not like the club game in that you’re not going for 4 trophies a season, you play for one trophy every two years and a lot has to go right at several levels for a number of years to win a tournament, maybe England are still on that journey and just need someone new to guide them home.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2024, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
A comment in the papers today that good club players are often not sure of their England role.  They come from clubs who play different football and tactics.

Not sure about this.  Surely say Spanish and Italian players have the same issues?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
Manchester Mariner
March 24, 2024, 12:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I don't rate Southgate that much and think he's benefitted from easy tournament draws, until they face one of the strong nations and inevitably get knocked out. England should've won the delayed 2020 Euro's, again benefitting from a relatively straight forward draw and also apart from the Ukraine match all their games at Wembley. Who knows though? England on paper look like one of the top teams for the forthcoming Euros, especially in attack.

I think we'll ultimately see how good a manager Southgate is when he goes back into club management. His pre-England managerial record wasn't much to write home about.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
1mickylyons
March 24, 2024, 12:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC

For the job that needed doing Southgate was absolutely the right appointment at that time as too many good players couldn’t care less about playing for England as the culture & environment was so poor.

Southgate has fixed that & players at varying stages of their careers want to be part of the set up, respect the manager & have pride in the shirt again.

Gareth has completed his objective but it now needs someone to come in after the euros to take tte hand brake off and maximise the talent at their disposal, I have now idea who but I suspect it will be Eddie Howe.

The other thing is you have to take international football in the context it is. It’s not like the club game in that you’re not going for 4 trophies a season, you play for one trophy every two years and a lot has to go right at several levels for a number of years to win a tournament, maybe England are still on that journey and just need someone new to guide them home.

Sorry pal anybody who picks and plays Henderson constantly over the likes of Foden,Grealish,Maddison amongst others is never going to win anything. If England picked there best eleven you'd need two foitballs even Brazil would struggle to get the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Heisenberg
March 24, 2024, 1:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I don't rate Southgate that much and think he's benefitted from easy tournament draws, until they face one of the strong nations and inevitably get knocked out. England should've won the delayed 2020 Euro's, again benefitting from a relatively straight forward draw and also apart from the Ukraine match all their games at Wembley. Who knows though? England on paper look like one of the top teams for the forthcoming Euros, especially in attack.

I think we'll ultimately see how good a manager Southgate is when he goes back into club management. His pre-England managerial record wasn't much to write home about.

I do agree with most of that, but it is fair to point out tbat Southgate has competitive wins against Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark…….
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › England v Brazil / Belgium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.