Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunny sack manager.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Scunny sack manager.

This thread currently has 7,569 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
supertown
March 6, 2024, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,459
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’d believe that, judging by the rumours about their total wage bill. I really hope they stay down, then they’ll HAVE to trim that wage bill. But, if we stay up and they go up, that combination wouldn’t bother me at all. They’re gonna up one one year, they’ll not stay down there forever (although, if Carlsberg did non-league stint scenarios….).

It will get trimmed , most are out of contract at the end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Captaincod
March 6, 2024, 10:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from cannylad65
I'm led to believe from a Scunthorpe supporter friend, that 2 players are on £2500 a week, and one on £2000 a week.

Dave Fivenames could afford to offer what ever contracts the players asked for because he had no intention of paying them !
If you think the abuse of our players is bad check this out, and they are still 2nd in the league .

Tweet 1765145675174465927 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
ex-merseymariner
March 7, 2024, 6:49am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HerveJosse

Our nearest geographical neighbours . Clee Town may take offence at that.

Dhm posted 'rivals' and you misquoted ' neighbours'. Clee Town are our neighbours but not our rivals, due to the gap between us.

So provided Clee Town can read, they won't take offence 😛

Scunny remain our nearest geographical rivals, although that's more dubious the longer they spend in NLN I admit 😀

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
HertsGTFC
March 7, 2024, 8:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Captaincod

Dave Fivenames could afford to offer what ever contracts the players asked for because he had no intention of paying them !
If you think the abuse of our players is bad check this out, and they are still 2nd in the league .

Tweet 1765145675174465927 will appear here...

Wow, I get it but at the start of the season they nearly never had a club, generally getting out of that level needs everyone on the same page.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
1mickylyons
March 7, 2024, 8:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
That was us at Braintree when we lost 5-0 its the shock and utter despair .The fans love the Club and sadly a lot of players just don't care.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Mappers
March 7, 2024, 9:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
With this new TV deal the gap between NL and league 2 will get bigger you would have thought , it's emptied out of the bankrolled clubs now , but there are  still a few that will always be substantially more well backed than Scunny .

That gap from league 2 to NLN must be much much more significant in terms of turnover and ability to attact player (unless you are willing to pay them high end league 2 wages that you have not got like Dodgy Dave ) .

They won't be a FL club for a long long time if ever again , unless someone is willing to bankroll them which seems unlikely .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from cannylad65
I'm led to believe from a Scunthorpe supporter friend, that 2 players are on £2500 a week, and one on £2000 a week.

Cal Roberts will be one of those high earners.  He was one of the best players in the Conference at County before moving to Aberdeen on a 3-year-deal.  Just a year into that he agreed a move to the Conference North.  His one year in the SPL was injury riddled, but he's not going to rip up the remaining 2-years of his contract for pennies.

Their excrement or bust approach always had high risk to really screw them over, which is only increasing the more likely they fail to get automatic promotion.  Failure to get out that league will be severe for them.  Their current average of pretty much smack on 4000 a gate needs a 25% boost to reach that 5000 figure that 'It Bites' talks about.  They've reached that figure on 3 occasions out of 19, one of which was the community day against Chester.  The previous 3 games prior that drew an average of 3400.

Fail to go up and they won't get those gates next season.  Not a chance.  Still have the likes of Roberts (who has a further year to run on his contract) and no-one is going to be shelling out £2000-2500 a week for a player who has managed 628 league minutes this season on the back of just 85 in the SPL the year before.

Even if they go up.  Are their gates ever going to reach 5000?  Probably not.  They were averaging around 4000 in League One.

I hope, for their sake, that they can find a way to be sustainable but Hilton's approach has potentially lumbered them with a massive burden.  Lesser gates, still got high earners so you have to cut the cloth elsewhere (in all areas).  On the pitch that can only mean lower wages for everyone else which more often than not equals lower quality, therefore less chance of success, less fans coming through the gates, less money to spend....very, very vicious circle.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 9:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
oh they've had it if they dont go up via the play offs, some of the wages they're paying is crazy. They'll rot in regional football for a long time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Mariner_09
March 7, 2024, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Do NLN play off games get televised?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
toontown
March 7, 2024, 12:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner_09
Do NLN play off games get televised?

Some were last year I seem to remember, may have just been final but probs all of them I'd have thought nowadays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Scunny sack manager.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.