Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is this the biggest game in our history.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Is this the biggest game in our history.?

This thread currently has 2,369 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
March 2, 2024, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,574
Gold Stars: 1,501
Let’s break it down shall we? I am convinced that relegation this season would be the single most disastrous thing to have happened in the club’s 146 year history. I’ve laid out the reasons for that previously; the argument for that being the case is absolutely unquestionable in my mind. Relegation to non-league for a third time would be magnitudes more damaging that the previous two occasions - and not just because it would be the third time.

Others are right to point out that nothing will be decided today. No one gets relegated on the basis of today’s result; we won’t even be in the relegation zone barring defeat by a 6-goal margin (and no, I’m not ruling that out as a complete impossibility).

But the contrast in prognoses between a win and a defeat are profound. Win, and we have a 6 point cushion, plus a better goal difference. It certainly wouldn’t be a case of “job done”, but it would be a commanding position from which we really ought to avoid relegation. Lose however, and we are toast imo. I don’t believe we have the psychological chops to recover from finding ourselves neck and neck with a Forest Green side who a few weeks ago were light years behind us in points terms.

So I’ll put my neck on the line and say “yes”. Yes, I do think this is the biggest game in the club’s history. Win, and we can breathe a small sigh of relief. Lose, and I believe it sets into motion the beginning of long, slow death for Grimsby Town Football Club.

The owners, manager, players and fans should be under no illusions as to what is at stake this afternoon. It’s absolutely fúcking MASSIVE.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
1mickylyons
March 2, 2024, 11:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
.Must agree with Poojah. The mood from most Town fans is utter dismay at how this Season has gone were way beyond disappointment. The team must find a way and we must stay up this time around no matter what.As fans all we can do is go and get behind them and try and stick with it for as long as humanly possible. A win today will be massive for all concerned a draw disappointing but acceptable a defeat well.............Artell Out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
JK47
March 2, 2024, 11:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
If we lose today, surely there cannot be any reason at all for the manager to still be in position by 5:30?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
1mickylyons
March 2, 2024, 11:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Let's get into em on and off the pitch. We need a high tempo fast start and better still an early Town goal crowd will do the rest.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
diehardmariner
March 2, 2024, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from promotion plaice

Nothing decided today so no.

Exactly this.

It's big, ain't no hiding from that. But Artell summed it up in his pre-match interview by saying he'd take a defeat against FGR if it meant we win the following 5. If it was a guarantee I'd take that too, of course I would prefer we simply win the next 6 regardless.

Even a defeat today leaves it well within our hands with a shed load of points to play for. This is far from a definitive game.

Football isn't that simple though and psychologically we need to win.  We need to shut down FGR's pursuit of us and give ourselves a boost, both in terms of points and confidence wise. Defeat absolutely shatters our already fragile confidence and is a huge shot in the arm to FGR (and others down there).

I want us to start like a house on fire and absolutely batter them to within an inch of their lives today.  The players need that and so do we as fans.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Yoda
March 2, 2024, 11:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Poojah is spot on i believe a defeat would be terminal and i don’t think we will recover for years if ever.
Financially it would be huge with league 2 money going up this year we would be missing out on serious money.
Not to mention the collapse of season ticket sales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
It Bites
March 2, 2024, 11:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,205
Gold Stars: 265
Yeah Poojah covers everything perfectly as always . Take all my emotions away and to me it’s important we don’t lose and a clean sheet if possible to help build confidence. After today there is still gonna be lots of twists and turns but we have to start today with a positive outcome
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Yoda
March 2, 2024, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Never been so nervous about a game just praying we don’t lose would take a draw before kick off as they seem to have hit a bit of form and have a decent manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
Chrisblor
March 2, 2024, 11:36am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,854
Gold Stars: 235
Hope the players aren't shitting themselves over the prospect of today as much as some fans seem to be

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
1mickylyons
March 2, 2024, 11:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hope the players aren't shitting themselves over the prospect of today as much as some fans seem to be

Thing is Chris in the past I have seen bits where I see wins coming from .This team I'm struggling to see where we win games but I'll take anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Is this the biggest game in our history.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.