Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Yoda, March 2, 2024, 10:33am
With what is on the line today is this the biggest game in the clubs history a win we are looking good to stay up.
A heavy defeat like other games i don’t think we will recover from that and could spiral into non league oblivion.
With big contracts on players who are not performing financially it could kill us.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 2, 2024, 10:35am; Reply: 1
I'm already bracing for the deluge of "Artells out"
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 2, 2024, 10:36am; Reply: 2

Nothing decided today so no.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), March 2, 2024, 10:40am; Reply: 3
My ârse says yes.
Posted by: GibMariner, March 2, 2024, 10:47am; Reply: 4
Potentially
Posted by: GibMariner, March 2, 2024, 10:47am; Reply: 5
Potentially
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, March 2, 2024, 10:52am; Reply: 6
Definitely not.
Still over a quarter of the season to go.
A win would however be a fantastic boost to fans , players and management alike.
Posted by: pen penfras, March 2, 2024, 10:55am; Reply: 7
No. We've been down twice and came up twice. If we go down again, we'll come back eventually. The first time we went down was more significant in damage to our reputation, now it's in line with our reputation.

I'd put a fair wager on us being shite next season too even if we stay up. The bank of mum and dad has closed and we'll be trying to sign players on similar terms to now whilst the reckless clubs fritter all the extra TV money on wages to sign the best players and we'll be left paying over the odds for the dregs.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, March 2, 2024, 10:57am; Reply: 8
Of course it isn't. flipping drama queen.
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 2, 2024, 10:57am; Reply: 9
Not the biggest in our history but certainly of the season so far. Not must win but certainly don’t want a defeat.
Posted by: Poojah, March 2, 2024, 11:01am; Reply: 10
Let’s break it down shall we? I am convinced that relegation this season would be the single most disastrous thing to have happened in the club’s 146 year history. I’ve laid out the reasons for that previously; the argument for that being the case is absolutely unquestionable in my mind. Relegation to non-league for a third time would be magnitudes more damaging that the previous two occasions - and not just because it would be the third time.

Others are right to point out that nothing will be decided today. No one gets relegated on the basis of today’s result; we won’t even be in the relegation zone barring defeat by a 6-goal margin (and no, I’m not ruling that out as a complete impossibility).

But the contrast in prognoses between a win and a defeat are profound. Win, and we have a 6 point cushion, plus a better goal difference. It certainly wouldn’t be a case of “job done”, but it would be a commanding position from which we really ought to avoid relegation. Lose however, and we are toast imo. I don’t believe we have the psychological chops to recover from finding ourselves neck and neck with a Forest Green side who a few weeks ago were light years behind us in points terms.

So I’ll put my neck on the line and say “yes”. Yes, I do think this is the biggest game in the club’s history. Win, and we can breathe a small sigh of relief. Lose, and I believe it sets into motion the beginning of long, slow death for Grimsby Town Football Club.

The owners, manager, players and fans should be under no illusions as to what is at stake this afternoon. It’s absolutely fúcking MASSIVE.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, March 2, 2024, 11:08am; Reply: 11
.Must agree with Poojah. The mood from most Town fans is utter dismay at how this Season has gone were way beyond disappointment. The team must find a way and we must stay up this time around no matter what.As fans all we can do is go and get behind them and try and stick with it for as long as humanly possible. A win today will be massive for all concerned a draw disappointing but acceptable a defeat well.............Artell Out?
Posted by: JK47, March 2, 2024, 11:11am; Reply: 12
If we lose today, surely there cannot be any reason at all for the manager to still be in position by 5:30?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, March 2, 2024, 11:15am; Reply: 13
Let's get into em on and off the pitch. We need a high tempo fast start and better still an early Town goal crowd will do the rest.UTM
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 2, 2024, 11:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from promotion plaice

Nothing decided today so no.

Exactly this.

It's big, ain't no hiding from that. But Artell summed it up in his pre-match interview by saying he'd take a defeat against FGR if it meant we win the following 5. If it was a guarantee I'd take that too, of course I would prefer we simply win the next 6 regardless.

Even a defeat today leaves it well within our hands with a shed load of points to play for. This is far from a definitive game.

Football isn't that simple though and psychologically we need to win.  We need to shut down FGR's pursuit of us and give ourselves a boost, both in terms of points and confidence wise. Defeat absolutely shatters our already fragile confidence and is a huge shot in the arm to FGR (and others down there).

I want us to start like a house on fire and absolutely batter them to within an inch of their lives today.  The players need that and so do we as fans.
Posted by: Yoda, March 2, 2024, 11:18am; Reply: 15
Poojah is spot on i believe a defeat would be terminal and i don’t think we will recover for years if ever.
Financially it would be huge with league 2 money going up this year we would be missing out on serious money.
Not to mention the collapse of season ticket sales.
Posted by: It Bites, March 2, 2024, 11:27am; Reply: 16
Yeah Poojah covers everything perfectly as always . Take all my emotions away and to me it’s important we don’t lose and a clean sheet if possible to help build confidence. After today there is still gonna be lots of twists and turns but we have to start today with a positive outcome
Posted by: Yoda, March 2, 2024, 11:32am; Reply: 17
Never been so nervous about a game just praying we don’t lose would take a draw before kick off as they seem to have hit a bit of form and have a decent manager.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 2, 2024, 11:36am; Reply: 18
Hope the players aren't shitting themselves over the prospect of today as much as some fans seem to be
Posted by: 1mickylyons, March 2, 2024, 11:39am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hope the players aren't shitting themselves over the prospect of today as much as some fans seem to be

Thing is Chris in the past I have seen bits where I see wins coming from .This team I'm struggling to see where we win games but I'll take anything.
Posted by: Ruston AT, March 2, 2024, 11:43am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Chrisblor

Personally, My opinion is we have players who really care and play for us and the shirt . We have players that are journey men and are coasting, finally we have players who just don't give a f**k. If the last group turn up we stand a chance of turning the Veggies over , if they don't looks like i'm in for a shite weekend.
Posted by: Poojah, March 2, 2024, 11:47am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Chrisblor

I’ll make no apologies for the fact I’m absolutely bricking it.
Posted by: wuffing, March 2, 2024, 11:58am; Reply: 22
We need to build on the performance last week...we need momentum right now...
Posted by: Mayaman, March 2, 2024, 11:58am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Ruston AT

Personally, My opinion is we have players who really care and play for us and the shirt . We have players that are journey men and are coasting, finally we have players who just don't give a f**k. If the last group turn up we stand a chance of turning the Veggies over , if they don't looks like i'm in for a shite weekend.

'
The first group, surely.
Posted by: Mayaman, March 2, 2024, 12:01pm; Reply: 24
Not sure what evidence suggests that relegation will finish the club off.  We've got experience in the non-league now.  We can never predict what's gonna happen to that degree of certainty. Who would have thought to Hollywood stars would swoop into Wrexham and get them out of the mire. Biggest game was surely FA Cup Semi-Final against Wolves.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2024, 12:04pm; Reply: 25
I have lost count of how many times a game has been declared as the biggest in our history. This definitely isn't.
Posted by: CSLM, March 2, 2024, 12:09pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
I have lost count of how many times a game has been declared as the biggest in our history. This definitely isn't.

I agree, if this was winner stays up final game of the season it would be a bit different.

I think the play off final a couple of years ago beats this hands down, especially as we knew Wrexham and Notts. County would be up there the season after.

Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2024, 12:10pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Definitely not.
Still over a quarter of the season to go.
A win would however be a fantastic boost to fans , players and management alike.

I'm not saying it is but I remember comments like yours in 2010.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 2, 2024, 12:13pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Mayaman
Not sure what evidence suggests that relegation will finish the club off.  We've got experience in the non-league now.  We can never predict what's gonna happen to that degree of certainty. Who would have thought to Hollywood stars would swoop into Wrexham and get them out of the mire. Biggest game was surely FA Cup Semi-Final against Wolves.

I very much doubt the owners would be looking forward to losing around 2 million pounds a season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 2, 2024, 12:29pm; Reply: 29
Don’t know about our history but certainly this season & definitely a big game for Artell,
Posted by: HerveJosse, March 2, 2024, 12:36pm; Reply: 30
Biggest game or not with less then three hours to go I haven’t looked forward to a game less in many years. It’s going to be torture.
How can they do this to us?
Posted by: Mariner John, March 2, 2024, 12:54pm; Reply: 31
Nowhere near
Posted by: Marinerdeano, March 2, 2024, 12:54pm; Reply: 32
Got to fine tune your mindset to this being an opportunity rather than a risk. UTM!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 2, 2024, 1:03pm; Reply: 33
My guts are gone,  🙏 for a win today.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, March 2, 2024, 1:26pm; Reply: 34

This board, well certain posters, doesn't help itself sometimes.

Earlier this season you get people insisting that each game against anyone within about a dozen points is a 6 pointer, prematurely.

Then when a genuine 6 pointer DOES occur, its being hyped to the biggest game in the clubs history!
Really?

Appreciated poojah's methodical working out here, but let's just agree that the next game is always the most important.  This being against a rival makes it really important not to lose.  This is a 6 pointer.

Wouldn't it be nice to keep our first home clean sheet for an absolute age for a start.

Posted by: Freemoash88, March 2, 2024, 1:31pm; Reply: 35
It's a big game but not our biggest and don't think our season will be defined after todays result. There are plenty of games left to play and if we can keep our away performances up under DA and get the odd home win (bizarre I know) I think we will be fine.
Posted by: Perkins, March 2, 2024, 1:34pm; Reply: 36
Simply, No
Posted by: chaos33, March 2, 2024, 1:38pm; Reply: 37
What a load of utter cobblers. Biggest game in our history? My *rse.

That said, we NEED to win.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 2, 2024, 1:43pm; Reply: 38
It would be very GTFC to win the biggest game in our history and still get relegated.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, March 2, 2024, 1:48pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Abdul19
It would be very GTFC to win the biggest game in our history and still get relegated.

Or earn a reprieve when  Man City or Chelsea or both get deducted 1million points at the season end.

Posted by: HerveJosse, March 2, 2024, 1:56pm; Reply: 40
Need to come to our senses now . Bricking it because we are playing at home to the 91st team in the EFl isn’t a good look and a village in Gloucestershire to boot.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2024, 2:46pm; Reply: 41
The other dubious claim that you often read is something like: "in x years of watching GTFC that was the worst performance I have ever seen". Simple fact is memories quickly fade and the present always seems more significant than it is.
Posted by: GibMariner, March 2, 2024, 2:49pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GrimRob
The other dubious claim that you often read is something like: "in x years of watching GTFC that was the worst performance I have ever seen". Simple fact is memories quickly fade and the present always seems more significant than it is.

and or distort.
Posted by: toontown, March 2, 2024, 5:11pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

Yeah lose count of how many times you hear that old chestnut trotted out!
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 9:18am