It Bites
March 1, 2024, 5:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,203
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from David Frazer
Oh dear it doesent sound to good does it ! If only Fenty had taken up the grants available to rebuild ,but never mind you were all happy he kept you in budget/small profit each year,but the reality is he left you with a rotten,cesspit of a ground which is barely fit for purpose and noose round your necks for future progress !

Good luck for saturday versus plastic green rovers!

U T I

Boring inbred simpleton
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 171
Northbank Mariner
March 1, 2024, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,470
Gold Stars: 171
[quote=141276]Oh dear it doesent sound to good does it ! If only Fenty had taken up the grants available to rebuild ,but never mind you were all happy he kept you in budget/small profit each year,but the reality is he left you with a rotten,cesspit of a ground which is barely fit for purpose and noose round your necks for future progress !

Who real cares what you think, apart from you, take it you're about 2'6" because you come across with little man syndrome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 6:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from It Bites

Boring inbred simpleton

He's a pain in the bottom with the goading incoherent nature of his posts , but he's not far off the mark imo.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 171
It Bites
March 1, 2024, 6:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,203
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mappers

He's a pain in the bottom with the goading incoherent nature of his posts , but he's not far off the mark imo.

I think anyone with half a brain knows mate
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 171
scrumble
March 1, 2024, 7:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from David Frazer

U T I

Well that explains why he's spending so much time on here, his sister's got an infection.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from scrumble

Well that explains why he's spending so much time on here, his sister's got an infection.

I thought he just supported Scunthorpe Utd , weird coincidence .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 171
trickeymickey
March 1, 2024, 8:09pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
I had half hour to kill the other day also so had already checked The Alex accounts and Grimsby accounts as they are my 1 and 2 clubs whose fortunes I follow (from the armchair now - I'm 84).
I hope you wont mind me commenting on this post.
"Crewe Alexandra
Turnover: £3.96m
Staff costs: Not published."  They are there but on the Group accounts.
The group has 3 companies. The Stadium and the Car Park are separate companies and they have planning approval for a solar farm above the cars on the car park.
Here is some additional information:
Turnover 2022 £6M 2023 £4M
Profit 2022 £100.000 LOSS 2023 £1.5M
Directors 8 (local business men who spent £3m to buy out our version of Mr F who had "Loaned" himself large amounts of our transfer earnings FROM the club.)  Now nobody is to have more than a 25% shareholding.
Management Coaches and Players  73
Admin 30
Match day staff  136
Total salaries  £4M

You can see what a desperate position Crewe were in as a result of David Artells recruitment as we were relegated.  The directors had to stump up to cover the deficit and avoid folding.

There is a huge Academy and training facility at Reaseheath that was the best outside Premier but is now needing pitches relaying and general refurb.  I thought that the Alex would need more people than Town to staff it but instead Grimsby employ 40 more than Crewe's 247. Do any of you know why?

"That really is pitiful, and somewhere we absolutely have to do better. Yes, all of the above have more modern stadiums than BP, but they ain’t exactly Spurs either. We shouldn’t be getting outdone fourfold by the likes of Crewe and Morecambe, with all due respect. It’s an area we absolutely have to improve and improve markedly; despite the club’s protestations that we’re progressing. We’re not, we’ve gone backwards and it’s costing us."
All the Alex ground improvements were paid for from transfer revenue.  It was a sh--hole before - urinating up railway sleepers.
I have ignored the perceived superiority in that paragraph.  When I worked over there in the 80's I got a lot of ridicule about being a little club follower when Grimsby were now also a little club.  There is more realism on here now - except when people talk about getting players and managers who are out of Grimsbys reach and wouldnt come anyway.

"I say it’s costing us, but the other main takeaway here (based on an admittedly small sample), is that we are in no way getting blown out of the water in terms of staff budget by a core of clubs in League Two. Yes, the above omits some of the league’s bigger spenders (because I don’t have the numbers), but that’s not the point. If Crewe, Walsall, Morecambe and Wimbledon can be making a serious push for promotion on the basis of their financial capabilities, then we can do a damn sight better than our current circumstances (and yes, Forest Green too)."
The staff budgets are about the same.
The Alex have done bettter because we have youngsters coming through and recruitment since Dave Artell left has been spot on.  And there are still 3 youngsters and 2 seniors injured.
I posted elsewhere an estimate I found of players wages. Newport were lowest at £1.4M. Then a bunch at £1.5M including Crewe and Barrow. Grimsby was £1.8M.  Wrexham at £5.4M were top followed byStockport Salford Mansfield and Bradford. I cant recall the order though.

"- Do we (Grimsby) have the right manager (whoever it happens to be at that point)?"
I think that depends on what the owners long term plans envisage.  As far as David Artell goes: if you are following a template of signing lower or non league players or cast offs from Premier and Championship at low or no fee -then you need to be able to sell on sufficient undiscovered diamonds to produce enough money to survive.  I am not sure that will work without directors willing to earn money elsewhere and throw it away on a football club.  Also he does not have a track record in inspired signings.  He hasnt ever set up a succssful youth proramme either but to be fair he knows what one looks like.  But that takes years to bear fruit.
I have some sympathy with those of you who say that perhaps Artell and the football style he favours isn't the right solution for todays problems - unless you are prepared for another relegation.  But I still think that Town can get away with it this season.
If that happens then we have to back off and see if recruitment and further coaching makes a difference next season.
The Alex are third but have key players and youngsters maturing and out of contract this season. Next year roles could easily be reversed.
Get used to it lads - thats where we are now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 171
Mappers
March 1, 2024, 8:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from trickeymickey
I had half hour to kill the other day also so had already checked The Alex accounts and Grimsby accounts as they are my 1 and 2 clubs whose fortunes I follow (from the armchair now - I'm 84).
I hope you wont mind me commenting on this post.
"Crewe Alexandra
Turnover: £3.96m
Staff costs: Not published."  They are there but on the Group accounts.
The group has 3 companies. The Stadium and the Car Park are separate companies and they have planning approval for a solar farm above the cars on the car park.
Here is some additional information:
Turnover 2022 £6M 2023 £4M
Profit 2022 £100.000 LOSS 2023 £1.5M
Directors 8 (local business men who spent £3m to buy out our version of Mr F who had "Loaned" himself large amounts of our transfer earnings FROM the club.)  Now nobody is to have more than a 25% shareholding.
Management Coaches and Players  73
Admin 30
Match day staff  136
Total salaries  £4M

You can see what a desperate position Crewe were in as a result of David Artells recruitment as we were relegated.  The directors had to stump up to cover the deficit and avoid folding.

There is a huge Academy and training facility at Reaseheath that was the best outside Premier but is now needing pitches relaying and general refurb.  I thought that the Alex would need more people than Town to staff it but instead Grimsby employ 40 more than Crewe's 247. Do any of you know why?

"That really is pitiful, and somewhere we absolutely have to do better. Yes, all of the above have more modern stadiums than BP, but they ain’t exactly Spurs either. We shouldn’t be getting outdone fourfold by the likes of Crewe and Morecambe, with all due respect. It’s an area we absolutely have to improve and improve markedly; despite the club’s protestations that we’re progressing. We’re not, we’ve gone backwards and it’s costing us."
All the Alex ground improvements were paid for from transfer revenue.  It was a sh--hole before - urinating up railway sleepers.
I have ignored the perceived superiority in that paragraph.  When I worked over there in the 80's I got a lot of ridicule about being a little club follower when Grimsby were now also a little club.  There is more realism on here now - except when people talk about getting players and managers who are out of Grimsbys reach and wouldnt come anyway.

"I say it’s costing us, but the other main takeaway here (based on an admittedly small sample), is that we are in no way getting blown out of the water in terms of staff budget by a core of clubs in League Two. Yes, the above omits some of the league’s bigger spenders (because I don’t have the numbers), but that’s not the point. If Crewe, Walsall, Morecambe and Wimbledon can be making a serious push for promotion on the basis of their financial capabilities, then we can do a damn sight better than our current circumstances (and yes, Forest Green too)."
The staff budgets are about the same.
The Alex have done bettter because we have youngsters coming through and recruitment since Dave Artell left has been spot on.  And there are still 3 youngsters and 2 seniors injured.
I posted elsewhere an estimate I found of players wages. Newport were lowest at £1.4M. Then a bunch at £1.5M including Crewe and Barrow. Grimsby was £1.8M.  Wrexham at £5.4M were top followed byStockport Salford Mansfield and Bradford. I cant recall the order though.

"- Do we (Grimsby) have the right manager (whoever it happens to be at that point)?"
I think that depends on what the owners long term plans envisage.  As far as David Artell goes: if you are following a template of signing lower or non league players or cast offs from Premier and Championship at low or no fee -then you need to be able to sell on sufficient undiscovered diamonds to produce enough money to survive.  I am not sure that will work without directors willing to earn money elsewhere and throw it away on a football club.  Also he does not have a track record in inspired signings.  He hasnt ever set up a succssful youth proramme either but to be fair he knows what one looks like.  But that takes years to bear fruit.
I have some sympathy with those of you who say that perhaps Artell and the football style he favours isn't the right solution for todays problems - unless you are prepared for another relegation.  But I still think that Town can get away with it this season.
If that happens then we have to back off and see if recruitment and further coaching makes a difference next season.
The Alex are third but have key players and youngsters maturing and out of contract this season. Next year roles could easily be reversed.
Get used to it lads - thats where we are now.

Appreciate your thoughts Trickey always an interesting perspective  , the problem is they always make me fear - is Artell the right fit for us  ?

Our wage budget was/is far higher than that 1.8million though and that is pretty much on record now , it was at least 1 million up on that last season and now a 22% increase which will be well over 3 million . I do feel Crewe is an unfair comparison as I'm sure a hefty piece of the pot is loaded into the youth set-up which Im sure gave Artell the ' I was manager of the year , with the lowest budget in league 2' line although he probably failed to mention he had a bespoke youth setup with high quality players coming out all over the place .

He has not got that here

Hopefully Alex make it up
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 171
RonMariner
March 1, 2024, 8:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Given the platform we had after the cup run, this season has been a disaster- regardless of whether we manage to stay up or not.

We need a complete reset in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 171
Heisenberg
March 1, 2024, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from David Frazer
Oh dear it doesent sound to good does it ! If only Fenty had taken up the grants available to rebuild ,but never mind you were all happy he kept you in budget/small profit each year,but the reality is he left you with a rotten,cesspit of a ground which is barely fit for purpose and noose round your necks for future progress !

U T I

I would swap our current predicament with Lincoln in a heart beat, of course, but the way the Gimps talk about Sincil Bank makes it sounds like the San Siro! It’s equally as cack as Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Club Accounts

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.