DB
February 29, 2024, 12:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Alright one more just for you Dave and all thefishy, before Covid the wonderful and colourful character that is Mr George Kerr would come into the Press Room sit down had a brew and sandwich and chat about Town, mainly about the current team and how his side would run rings this lot.

On one rare occasion he told me about the time Town had been playing away fixture I forget the team, the next day at the training session John Fraser walked up to him  "you illegitimate", George said "what you on about" John replied "you left me behind and I had to get a train back from the game" (for the younger ones this was before mobile phones).

I did say to George have ever thought about writing a book, he said that it would never get to print.

I started watching Town when John Newman was manager, but my first of many memories was watching George Kerr team 1979/80 what a season beating Everton in front of 22,000+ fans, then playing Wolves in quarter finals which went to a 2nd replay losing 2-0 at the Baseball ground. I could not go to the 2nd replay, I was packed off on a coach to Courtaulds Christmas party at the plant, when I went up to Santa for my pressent I asked if he knew the Grimsby score, he said gave out pressents not miracles. In January 1980 we drew Liverpool in the 3rd round of FA cup losing 5-0 I have never seen so many away fans at a match, the whole town must have been Liverpool that day, we took over Anfield & Goodison that day. My dad gave two scouse lads a pound note to ensure we wheels on the car when we returned. To top off the season we battered the Yorkies (Sheff Utd) 4-0 to win the old third division. Klopp, Pep this season we played 59 games and only 1 sub back then on pitches which some were more like paddy fields and it was flipping cold and snowny, the beast from the east, so stopping whinging you have it cosy these days.

So thanks to George Kerr and that team of 1979/80 is the reason why I am still hooked on Grimsby Town after all these memories and years later, so thank you George.

So lucky to have spent time with you in the Press Room and you are missed on matchdays.

All town aren't we

UTM

Thanks for that, I enjoyed it. You also sum George Kerr very well a true legend amongst many Grimsby managers. I do feel sorry for many of today's fans who never saw a team of his play, not to mention the fans who always gave plenty of support. The talk of the day at most home games was not are we going to win, but how many will we win buy. The fans were always worth 1 goal. Those were the days.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Les Brechin
March 1, 2024, 4:38pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Very surprised that there has been no mention of this on the OS.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
The Yard Dog
March 1, 2024, 4:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin
Very surprised that there has been no mention of this on the OS.  

Not impressed with the new media team ,you are dead right Les, nothing from the club is embrassing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
Yoda
March 1, 2024, 6:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,140
Gold Stars: 71
It’s a disgrace not to even mention the great Chris Nicholl.
As you said shame on the media team at gtfc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
The Yard Dog
March 2, 2024, 6:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
I was busy in the Press Room at the start of the game, was their a minute applause for Chris Nicholl?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
It Bites
March 2, 2024, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 265
No minutes silence for Chris . Dreadful by the club
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
TonySmith
March 2, 2024, 7:52pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
That's really disappointing! Chris Nicholl was a giant in the center of the defence in the mid-80's beside Kevin Moore. I guess those of us old enough to remember those days are the only ones who can really appreciate how good we had it then! They managed a minutes silence at the Luton-Villa game, but not at Blundell Park?! I really hope they will put that right at the next home game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
The Yard Dog
March 2, 2024, 9:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
No minutes silence for Chris . Dreadful by the club

Its strange that the club has not made acknowledgement of Chris Nicholl time at Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
grimsby pete
March 2, 2024, 10:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
The Luton v Villa game on sky had a minutes silence for Chris today.

Shame on town for not doing the same.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
DB
March 2, 2024, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
You do have to wonder what the club is up to in the media dept. JS & AP talk of a community club, but when the old community is forgotten about then you have to wonder what they mean.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Chris Nicholl

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.