Chris Nicholl

This thread currently has 4,848 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Sylvom
February 26, 2024, 9:59pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +27
Great player for us, gave it everything in every game I ever saw him play and read the game wonderfully. RIP Chris.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
The Yard Dog
February 26, 2024, 10:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
On Tuesday night a few moon ago Chris Nicholl was a guest of Grimsby Town.
I parked in my usual spot down Ward Street the end near Sidney Park. This smarty dressed guy got out of a jag and asked him if I would assist him to tie up his shoe lace for him, which I did, it was Chis Nicholl.
He asked if I was going to the match (I think my Town top gave it away) and could he walk with me to the ground. as we walked we talked about that night at Goodison which I was fortunate enough to be at, he said that his memory was failing a bit now, but he never been involved in another game like that since that night, the fans were amazing.
I arranged to meet up with him after the game, because his memory was not so good he sometimes struggled to remember where he had parked car, so after the game I walked him back to his car, I did enquire if he was ok getting home, its ok I have a sat nav.
I remember nothing about the game that night expect Chris Nicholl Grimsby Town legend asked me to tie up his lace for him.
That night will stay with me forever, hopefully.

RIP Chris a true gentlemen and a great football legend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
davmariner
February 26, 2024, 11:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from The Yard Dog
On Tuesday night a few moon ago Chris Nicholl was a guest of Grimsby Town.
I parked in my usual spot down Ward Street the end near Sidney Park. This smarty dressed guy got out of a jag and asked him if I would assist him to tie up his shoe lace for him, which I did, it was Chis Nicholl.
He asked if I was going to the match (I think my Town top gave it away) and could he walk with me to the ground. as we walked we talked about that night at Goodison which I was fortunate enough to be at, he said that his memory was failing a bit now, but he never been involved in another game like that since that night, the fans were amazing.
I arranged to meet up with him after the game, because his memory was not so good he sometimes struggled to remember where he had parked car, so after the game I walked him back to his car, I did enquire if he was ok getting home, its ok I have a sat nav.
I remember nothing about the game that night expect Chris Nicholl Grimsby Town legend asked me to tie up his lace for him.
That night will stay with me forever, hopefully.

RIP Chris a true gentlemen and a great football legend.

Great story, thanks for posting that.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
The Yard Dog
February 26, 2024, 11:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Great story, thanks for posting that.

No problem, following Town I have filled up my memory bank full of stories, I have been fortunate during my voluntary work in the Press Room to have meet a lot of ex players and managers along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
DB
February 27, 2024, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from The Yard Dog

No problem, following Town I have filled up my memory bank full of stories, I have been fortunate during my voluntary work in the Press Room to have meet a lot of ex players and managers along the way.

Would you care to share a few memories?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
The Yard Dog
February 28, 2024, 6:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from DB

Would you care to share a few memories?Dave

Hi Dave if i post my stories on thefishy, i will have nothing left to put in my book.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
TownSNAFU5
February 28, 2024, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
In the late 1960s he played for Halifax at BP.  From memory. It was an Easter game and a big crowd.  Around 7,800.  Not sure why the game stuck in my mind,  we do don’t play in front of big crowds.  We lost 1-0 and I think Chris Nicoll scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
DB
February 28, 2024, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,027
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Hi Dave if i post are my stories on thefishy, i will have nothing left to put in my book.

Spoil sport.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 28, 2024, 10:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
In the late 1960s he played for Halifax at BP.  From memory. It was an Easter game and a big crowd.  Around 7,800.  Not sure why the game stuck in my mind,  we do don’t play in front of big crowds.  We lost 1-0 and I think Chris Nicoll scored.

Remember being at that game, a Good Friday I believe, have in my mind a guy called David Shawcross scored for Halifax but I could be talking utter balderdash and yours is a better story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
The Yard Dog
February 28, 2024, 11:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from DB

Spoil sport.

Alright one more just for you Dave and all thefishy, before Covid the wonderful and colourful character that is Mr George Kerr would come into the Press Room sit down had a brew and sandwich and chat about Town, mainly about the current team and how his side would run rings this lot and he was right.

On one rare occasion he told me about the time Town had been playing away fixture I forget the team, the next day at the training session John Fraser walked up to him  "you illegitimate", George said "what you on about" John replied "you left me behind and I had to get a train back from the game" (for the younger ones this was before mobile phones).

I did say to George have ever thought about writing a book, he said that it would never get to print.

I started watching Town when John Newman was manager, but my first of many memories was watching George Kerr team 1979/80 what a season beating Everton in front of 22,000+ fans, then playing Wolves in quarter finals which went to a 2nd replay losing 2-0 at the Baseball ground. I could not go to the 2nd replay, I was packed off on a coach to Courtaulds Christmas party at the plant, when I went up to Santa for my pressent I asked if he knew the Grimsby score, he said gave out pressents not miracles. In January 1980 we drew Liverpool in the 3rd round of FA cup losing 5-0 I have never seen so many away fans at a match, the whole town must have been in Liverpool, we took over Anfield & Goodison that day. My dad gave two scouse lads a pound note to ensure we wheels on the car when we returned. To top off the season we battered the Yorkies (Sheff Utd) 4-0 to win the old third division. Klopp, Pep this season we played 59 games and only 1 sub back then on pitches which some were more like paddy fields and it was flipping cold and snowny, the beast from the east, so stopping whinging you have it cosy these days.

So thanks to George Kerr and that team of 1979/80 is the reason why I am still hooked on Grimsby Town after all these memories and years later, so thank you George.

So lucky to have spent time with him in the Press Room and is missed on matchdays.

All town aren't we

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Chris Nicholl

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.