February 26, 2024, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,010
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Lukeo can we have a ticket watch please

I can't see them bringing many so presumably, the bulk of the Osmond will be for Town fans.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
LH
February 26, 2024, 9:41am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from grimps
Can anyone actually remember the last time we packed the park and won ?
We always let ourselves down at home when its a full house.

Gillingham c2008 in similar circumstances? Maybe Chesterfield c2018 but unsure on crowd numbers that day.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
GibMariner
February 26, 2024, 9:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Poojah

I think the permutations of Saturday’s game are pretty simple; win and we’ll probably stay up, lose and we’ll probably go down. And going down would be absolutely catastrophic.

I posted the maths on here the other day, but relegation is likely to cost the club between £2.5m and £3m next season, money we can’t afford to lose given the players we already have contracted for next season. It’s a compound, viscous circle - we don’t have the money to compete, people are hard up and stop going, we have even less money to compete…it’s a death spiral I don’t see us recovering from.

Go down, and I see us becoming something of a Torquay or Yeovil. Gradually struggling more and more in the National League, before eventually finding ourselves playing regional football.

We just can’t go down. We absolutely mustn’t.

I think we stay up anyway because DA said so.

Don’t get the size of the numbers quoted. Players even on contracts will leave in an effort to stay in FL. Overheads will take a haircut and life will go on, plus our professional investors should fund the cost to charter towards calm waters.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
Son of Cod
February 26, 2024, 10:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from LH

Gillingham c2008 in similar circumstances? Maybe Chesterfield c2018 but unsure on crowd numbers that day.

Stockport in the NL a few seasons ago was almost 8000 I seem to remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
Poojah
February 26, 2024, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Son of Cod

Stockport in the NL a few seasons ago was almost 8000 I seem to remember.

Aye, had a couple of not very sly Stockport fans sat in front of me in the lower Findus. I made absolutely sure to ensure they were right in the thick of the celebrations when Holohan’s winner went in.

One of my favourite games at BP in recent years (not that there have been a great number to choose from).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2024, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

I think the permutations of Saturday’s game are pretty simple; win and we’ll probably stay up, lose and we’ll probably go down. And going down would be absolutely catastrophic.

I posted the maths on here the other day, but relegation is likely to cost the club between £2.5m and £3m next season, money we can’t afford to lose given the players we already have contracted for next season. It’s a compound, viscous circle - we don’t have the money to compete, people are hard up and stop going, we have even less money to compete…it’s a death spiral I don’t see us recovering from.

Go down, and I see us becoming something of a Torquay or Yeovil. Gradually struggling more and more in the National League, before eventually finding ourselves playing regional football.

I noted that Stockwood said on Saturday they will review everything at the end of the season,  or wash up as he called it and if we survive I guess a lot of things will be looked at as to how we got into this mess.

First things first though and as you say we simply have to survive otherwise it is going to be very hard to re energise the fan base. It's in our hands but let's be honest it will also be about the results of FGR, Colchester and Sutton to give us a fighting chance.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
Limerick Mariner
February 26, 2024, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

I agree. Us and Scunny yo-yoing between NL and NLN. The Lincolnshire EFL club will be Lincoln City. We’ll lose all the support in our traditional hinterland base - the arc from Barton to Brigg to Rasen and across to the coast. Kids in that area will support Hull or Lincoln. It just doesn’t bear thinking about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
Poojah
February 26, 2024, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I agree. Us and Scunny yo-yoing between NL and NLN. The Lincolnshire EFL club will be Lincoln City. We’ll lose all the support in our traditional hinterland base - the arc from Barton to Brigg to Rasen and across to the coast. Kids in that area will support Hull or Lincoln. It just doesn’t bear thinking about.

It’s bleak, isn’t it? I know some will think I’m over-egging things and being melodramatic, but I honestly think that a third non-league relegation spells the end of Grimsby Town FC as we know it.

It’s a huge, huge game we’ve got before us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
Limerick Mariner
February 26, 2024, 12:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Poojah

It’s bleak, isn’t it? I know some will think I’m over-egging things and being melodramatic, but I honestly think that a third non-league relegation spells the end of Grimsby Town FC as we know it.

It’s a huge, huge game we’ve got before us.

Yes, without huge investment I can’t see a way back. Again we come back to the millstone of Blundell Park - investors won’t just have to tip in to make up for the shortfall in the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
LH
February 26, 2024, 12:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
We’d been back in the ground a while by that point but that Stockport game was the first game that felt like football was properly back post-pandemic.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pack Out Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.