Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sunderland Manager Sacked After 12 Games in Charge
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Sunderland Manager Sacked After 12 Games in Charge

This thread currently has 2,533 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
February 19, 2024, 2:44pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
Sunderland don't mess about.
Quoted from Sky News
Michael Beale has parted company with Sunderland after just eight weeks in charge.

Beale oversaw just four wins in 12 games after succeeding Tony Mowbray.

The former QPR and Rangers boss' final game in charge was the 2-1 defeat to Birmingham on Saturday.
Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13075643/michael-beale-manager-leaves-sunderland-after-just-eight-weeks-in-charge

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
4 wins from 12 games is a disgrace (and precisely double Artell's record).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
DB
February 19, 2024, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,007
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13075643/michael-beale-manager-leaves-sunderland-after-just-eight-weeks-in-charge

I hope it's reported in the Guardian so Jason can read it, it could give an idea of what to do with Artell.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Vance Warner
February 19, 2024, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from DB

I hope it's reported in the Guardian so Jason can read it, it could give an idea of what to do with Artell.

Very bored by these cheap childish digs. The newspaper our owner chooses to write for has absolutely no bearing on his ability to run a football club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
arryarryarry
February 19, 2024, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
I saw on the highlights he subbed a player and as he was passing Beale to sit on the bench he held out his hand to shake Beale's hand and Beale just blanked him.

I bet that player is laughing his whatsits off now.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
ROKERITE
February 19, 2024, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
We should never have appointed Beale but I'd have given him a little longer before sacking him. Unlike Artell  Beale had nothing concrete on his c.v. to suggest he could do the job. It's back to the caretakers till the season ends when it's to be hoped the owner can make a better choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
DB
February 19, 2024, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,007
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Vance Warner

Very bored by these cheap childish digs. The newspaper our owner chooses to write for has absolutely no bearing on his ability to run a football club.

I believe at the end of each article he has it refers to him as being Chairman of Grimsby, so he draws the club and fans into each word he writes. Jason and Andrew have already admitted they had no knowledge of how to run a football club, so in their words, it is a learning curve for them.

One prime example was the dismissal of PH, whom they had contemplated doing it earlier because of data. When they did it they had no replacement lined up. We are now in a similar situation with Artell, but at a more serious time of the season, relegation to the NL. Sunderland have sacked their manager whose record was better than that of Artell.

We now come to The Fishy. Jason said on RH that he no longer takes notice of the comments on it. So we have The Fishy in meltdown because of Artell's tactics and a chairman who is not going to read it. The Fishy is also, in my opinion, the premier fans site for Mariner supporters and Jason chooses to ignore it.

He then puts out a statement on X, not that all fans have X, stating that we should all dig in. To me a childish statement as he forgets that we have dug in for nearly 20 years. If he had chosen to read comments in The Fishy he probably would have sacked Artell by now.

Finally, if you think I am anti JS & AP, I am not. I am supportive of them but on this occasion, they are very naive, when it comes to footballing matters. So when putting in my post about the Sunderland news it was not childish nor a dig but a logical sensible post given the above.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
MarinerMal
February 19, 2024, 6:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from DB

I believe at the end of each article he has it refers to him as being Chairman of Grimsby, so he draws the club and fans into each word he writes. Jason and Andrew have already admitted they had no knowledge of how to run a football club, so in their words, it is a learning curve for them.

One prime example was the dismissal of PH, whom they had contemplated doing it earlier because of data. When they did it they had no replacement lined up. We are now in a similar situation with Artell, but at a more serious time of the season, relegation to the NL. Sunderland have sacked their manager whose record was better than that of Artell.

We now come to The Fishy. Jason said on RH that he no longer takes notice of the comments on it. So we have The Fishy in meltdown because of Artell's tactics and a chairman who is not going to read it. The Fishy is also, in my opinion, the premier fans site for Mariner supporters and Jason chooses to ignore it.

He then puts out a statement on X, not that all fans have X, stating that we should all dig in. To me a childish statement as he forgets that we have dug in for nearly 20 years. If he had chosen to read comments in The Fishy he probably would have sacked Artell by now.

Finally, if you think I am anti JS & AP, I am not. I am supportive of them but on this occasion, they are very naive, when it comes to footballing matters. So when putting in my post about the Sunderland news it was not childish nor a dig but a logical sensible post given the above.

So what do you know about running a football club to be able to give them such sage advice?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Vance Warner
February 19, 2024, 6:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

None of which explains why you think him writing for the Guardian is a problem so worthy of comment that it is raised on a thread about another club. There’s also a big difference between writing a tweet and taking feedback from the fishy. We’ve had a chairman who logged on the fishy after a glass of red and it certainly didn’t help his decision making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Spurn boy
February 19, 2024, 6:13pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

He was given a 2 and a half year contract the same as Dave Artell but Sunderland are obviously a much more wealthy club than we are and that is the only reason we still have Dave Artell as our manager, the owners cannot afford to pay him off if they sack him.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
arryarryarry
February 19, 2024, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

So what do you know about running a football club to be able to give them such sage advice?

Was DB giving advice, I read it as what has happened.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
February 19, 2024, 7:28pm
Guest User
I know a few Sunderland fans, they’re still astounded the previous manager was sacked…
Reply: 11 - 24
ROKERITE
February 19, 2024, 7:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Spurn boy

He was given a 2 and a half year contract the same as Dave Artell but Sunderland are obviously a much more wealthy club than we are and that is the only reason we still have Dave Artell as our manager, the owners cannot afford to pay him off if they sack him.

We might be a lot wealthier than you but our owner doesn't like spending his money or ours. I'd assume there were clauses in Beale's contract meaning he might get half a year's pay but not the other two.

Beale should never have been appointed but having been it is ridiculous to judge him on twelve matches. But our owner and Sporting Director have been taking a bit of flak recently so what better than to dump an unpopular head-coach.

David Artell is a very different man in a very different situation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Croxton
February 19, 2024, 7:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry

Was DB giving advice, I read it as what has happened.

Exactly. DB is not childish nor does he suggest that writing in The Guardian is a 'problem'. There is an issue, however, in that JS has sometimes conflated comments on The Fishy as 'social media'. It is much more structured and wide ranging than 'X', Facebook or podcasts. The owner's tweet does not speak to me or many other older fans.

Try not to be so easily triggered by a sentence that had the name of your favourite newspaper Vance.

Carry on with your contributions DB!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Vance Warner
February 19, 2024, 9:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Exactly. DB is not childish nor does he suggest that writing in The Guardian is a 'problem'. There is an issue, however, in that JS has sometimes conflated comments on The Fishy as 'social media'. It is much more structured and wide ranging than 'X', Facebook or podcasts. The owner's tweet does not speak to me or many other older fans.

Try not to be so easily triggered by a sentence that had the name of your favourite newspaper Vance.

Carry on with your contributions DB!

If writing in the Guardian is not being portrayed as a problem why is it being raised in a thread about Sunderland sacking their manager?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Azimuth
February 19, 2024, 9:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Vance Warner

If writing in the Guardian is not being portrayed as a problem why is it being raised in a thread about Sunderland sacking their manager?

I dont care if he writes for the The Guardian, Times, Mail on Sunday or the sodding Dandy and Beano, the fact he is writing articles in the press as Chairman of the football club comes across as a Vanity Project.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Azimuth

I dont care if he writes for the The Guardian, Times, Mail on Sunday or the sodding Dandy and Beano, the fact he is writing articles in the press as Chairman of the football club comes across as a Vanity Project.

If I were a Guardian reading supporter of another EFL club, I’d be wondering why the chairman of the club placed 90th in the league was getting so much airtime, as it were.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Caveman
February 19, 2024, 11:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Azimuth

If he wrote in the Dandy I'd read it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Vance Warner
February 20, 2024, 6:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

Maybe it is a vanity project but so what? The last time I heard vanity project mentioned in relation to a GTFC chairman we were talking about pie in the sky stadiums which cost us a fortune in feasibility studies. At worst this is harmless and at best it is giving the club extra publicity. Fair enough to criticise JS for a managerial appointment but complaining about him writing for the Guardian comes  across as petty when there are much bigger issues at stake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2024, 6:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Vance Warner

Maybe it is a vanity project but so what? The last time I heard vanity project mentioned in relation to a GTFC chairman we were talking about pie in the sky stadiums which cost us a fortune in feasibility studies. At worst this is harmless and at best it is giving the club extra publicity. Fair enough to criticise JS for a managerial appointment but complaining about him writing for the Guardian comes  across as petty when there are much bigger issues at stake.

The counter argument to that is that if there’s much bigger issues at stake, why is he writing articles for the Guardian? Totally depends on your opinion and it’s all good when things are going great - which to a certain extent they have.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
Maringer
February 20, 2024, 7:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Local kid not from a wealthy background gets himself a good education, has success in business and is later commissioned to write articles for a national newspaper. Apparently, according to some on here, he should know his place.

I suspect an hour or two spent writing an article for a newspaper and once every month or two won't materially affect his ability to make decisions about GTFC, or to do his day job, either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
Nelly GTFC
February 21, 2024, 8:53am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
That John Askey at Hartlepool was sacked having won only 3 of their previous 19 league matches, even though he had a contract until 2026.

Since Kevin Phillips took over as manager, Hartlepool have won 4, lost 1 with an 80% win rate!

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
Poojah
February 21, 2024, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,537
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
That John Askey at Hartlepool was sacked having won only 3 of their previous 19 league matches, even though he had a contract until 2026.

Since Kevin Phillips took over as manager, Hartlepool have won 4, lost 1 with an 80% win rate!

Had missed that Phillips had gone there. Only 74 games in management and most of them below National League level, but a 60% overall win rate is still mightily impressive.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
HerveJosse
February 21, 2024, 9:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Had missed that Phillips had gone there. Only 74 games in management and most of them below National League level, but a 60% overall win rate is still mightily impressive.

Might be down to Otis Khans presence in the treatment room.Not to mention Mannys 20 goals
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
arryarryarry
February 21, 2024, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Might be down to Otis Khans presence in the treatment room.Not to mention Mannys 20 goals

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but Waterfall scored their 3rd goal on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sunderland Manager Sacked After 12 Games in Charge

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.