February 13, 2024, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,593
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from RichMariner
Put it this way…

If he was a manager that had been in post for longer than he’s been, he’s two or three games from the sack.

He’s given more grace on account that he’s only been in post for a dozen games.

Having said that, lose the next two and he’s on seriously borrowed time, irrespective of his length of tenure. Fans are desperate for reassurance. We’ve had too many managers in our recent history who can talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

Like I say, hope everything works out. Maybe the penny drops soon and the players hit their stride.

There’s a stark scenario whereby we are only a single point above the relegation zone come Saturday evening, and adrift of the sides above us.

Now, that would require an absolutely nightmarish sequence of results, and probably a pretty unlikely one at that, but it is eminently possible all the same.

If that were to transpire, I very much doubt he’d get an extra game. I’m all for giving managers time, especially when they are attempting to transition us to a more progressive way of playing, but we shouldn’t underestimate how quickly our current 7 point cushion could be eroded and we find ourselves plunged deeply into shít creek.

It’s sobering I know, but a positive performance and result is crucial tonight, for Artell and us more broadly.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
Sigone
February 13, 2024, 5:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

There’s a stark scenario whereby we are only a single point above the relegation zone come Saturday evening, and adrift of the sides above us.

Now, that would require an absolutely nightmarish sequence of results, and probably a pretty unlikely one at that, but it is eminently possible all the same.

If that were to transpire, I very much doubt he’d get an extra game. I’m all for giving managers time, especially when they are attempting to transition us to a more progressive way of playing, but we shouldn’t underestimate how quickly our current 7 point cushion could be eroded and we find ourselves plunged deeply into shít creek.

It’s sobering I know, but a positive performance and result is crucial tonight, for Artell and us more broadly.

Or we could be 13 points clear and be very chilled out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Poojah
February 13, 2024, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,593
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Sigone

Or we could be 13 points clear and be very chilled out.

Absolutely. I was merely pointing out the potential precariousness of our position, and that Artell doesn’t necessarily have a guaranteed 4 or 5 games to keep himself in a job.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
malkamalka
February 13, 2024, 6:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Look, I get how some people feel, but to be honest, the Owners did keep saying it was going to be tough for a couple of years. The thing we have to do is trust in the process. When they came in, the club was a basket case after years of neglect by the previous regime.

We got out of the Conference and stabilised then things (as they always do in football), started to get dodgy, So, they changed the manager. Apart from three or four new signings, the basis of the team is the same. So he has to work with what he has. This is nothing new - Arsenal under Arteta being a case and point.

I think it will take 2/3 more windows to get the team right, although the major target during that transition is not to get relegated, I hope that with each window, the team improves and during 25/26, rather than scrapping around at the bottom, we're challenging the top 10 places.

None of that will happen if we change the manager every 6-8 games.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
toontown
February 14, 2024, 12:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
That's a really cringey interview in parts tbh. At least not as bad as the interview I. Saturday I suppose.

I didn't realise what people were meaning by the David Brent thing but it's shining through in that interview. Were he says the bit about Donovan Wilson said I didn't really want to leave cos you've been such a great manager to me - LOL that is Brent all over. Or the bit where he name drops fans most popular player (Rose) just said to me today how much better we are at playing out from the back now (if it was the office Brent would then look to the camera with smug grin and fiddle with tie). Just reminded me exactly of a scene in the office of Brent taking a phone call and saying to camera crew "oh it's just a member of staff wanting to say what a great job I'm doing". LOL

Also the bollox about we got relegated because we hoofed it. No we didn't. In the relegation season Hollowhead had us start the season trying to play out from the back! The comparisons at the time were McKeown moaning about he thinks we're Barcelona - they're not usually associated with hoofing it! We did change style after even Hollowhead could see it didn't work, didn't we get turned over away at some non league team in the cup whilst trying to knock it about on the edge of our own box I seem to remember. Was hursts team a hoof it team in the 2ne half of season, can't remember but passing it out from the back was how that season started to go downhill. It's also the only previous time we've played that style

As for hoofing it being how we got out of the national league - don't think so, it wasnt the prettiest but it wasn't kick and rush either. Playing it into Taylor for layoffs was one of our main themes, and pushing FBs forward, hunt as a passer in the first half of the season and towler as a good on the ball CB for a while, not one for the purists but hardly Wimbledon circa 1989. So more bollox made up to try and suit his narrative to shore up his position.

Oh and the bit about plan f etc was just a massively long winded way of saying there is no plan b apart from doing plan a better. Which he can't say cos it would paint him as predictable and challinor just gave an interview about how we were predictable and thus easy to plan against.

Oh and he finally admitted we were in a relegation battle - hopefully his eyes have opened!

Anyway he can give as many Brent like interviews as he wants and rewrite history to suit himself as much as he wants if he just starts winning flippin games of football like he's paid to do. Donny is an absolutely massive must not lose game now - do your talking on the pitch Artell, they're as shite as us, show us your plan A can flippin work with this team and beat them! That's all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
MuddyWaters
February 14, 2024, 7:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from toontown
That's a really cringey interview in parts tbh. At least not as bad as the interview I. Saturday I suppose.

I didn't realise what people were meaning by the David Brent thing but it's shining through in that interview. Were he says the bit about Donovan Wilson said I didn't really want to leave cos you've been such a great manager to me - LOL that is Brent all over. Or the bit where he name drops fans most popular player (Rose) just said to me today how much better we are at playing out from the back now (if it was the office Brent would then look to the camera with smug grin and fiddle with tie). Just reminded me exactly of a scene in the office of Brent taking a phone call and saying to camera crew "oh it's just a member of staff wanting to say what a great job I'm doing". LOL

Also the bollox about we got relegated because we hoofed it. No we didn't. In the relegation season Hollowhead had us start the season trying to play out from the back! The comparisons at the time were McKeown moaning about he thinks we're Barcelona - they're not usually associated with hoofing it! We did change style after even Hollowhead could see it didn't work, didn't we get turned over away at some non league team in the cup whilst trying to knock it about on the edge of our own box I seem to remember. Was hursts team a hoof it team in the 2ne half of season, can't remember but passing it out from the back was how that season started to go downhill. It's also the only previous time we've played that style

As for hoofing it being how we got out of the national league - don't think so, it wasnt the prettiest but it wasn't kick and rush either. Playing it into Taylor for layoffs was one of our main themes, and pushing FBs forward, hunt as a passer in the first half of the season and towler as a good on the ball CB for a while, not one for the purists but hardly Wimbledon circa 1989. So more bollox made up to try and suit his narrative to shore up his position.

Oh and the bit about plan f etc was just a massively long winded way of saying there is no plan b apart from doing plan a better. Which he can't say cos it would paint him as predictable and challinor just gave an interview about how we were predictable and thus easy to plan against.

Oh and he finally admitted we were in a relegation battle - hopefully his eyes have opened!

Anyway he can give as many Brent like interviews as he wants and rewrite history to suit himself as much as he wants if he just starts winning flippin games of football like he's paid to do. Donny is an absolutely massive must not lose game now - do your talking on the pitch Artell, they're as shite as us, show us your plan A can flippin work with this team and beat them! That's all.

And pick players who can play in the way you want. That means players that can pass and move.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Mappers
February 15, 2024, 8:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,336
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from toontown

The only player we have had that I can remember (since Handyside) , who could play the ball out well from the back was Simon Ramsden in Slades first season - he was a very good footballer but slade had the heavy artillery of Whittle & Jones either side of him , with him being the ball player , receiving it from the keeper or one of them 2 giving him it and  Ramsden starting the game off .

Maybe Andy Smith was just about competent, but he got schooled in that way .

Maher and Rodgers are not that good on the ball , neither does Tharme look a ball player . That will surely be a priority in the summer for Artell  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
headingly_mariner
February 15, 2024, 9:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Mappers

The only player we have had that I can remember (since Handyside) , who could play the ball out well from the back was Simon Ramsden in Slades first season - he was a very good footballer but slade had the heavy artillery of Whittle & Jones either side of him , with him being the ball player , receiving it from the keeper or one of them 2 giving him it and  Ramsden starting the game off .

Maybe Andy Smith was just about competent, but he got schooled in that way .

Maher and Rodgers are not that good on the ball , neither does Tharme look a ball player . That will surely be a priority in the summer for Artell  

Maher is good on the ball and a good passer.
He often plays good forward passes into feet or space. He was also very good defensively last season. We've struggled to make a defensive unit, but he is a good player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell's pre- Colchester interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.