4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
February 13, 2024, 2:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I was wondering if "we can only control what we can control" was a tautology. I think it's more a truism. Won't count for much when we're back in non-league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
February 13, 2024, 4:24am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
A genuine question. What do people find so good about the interview? In this audio clip alone he:

• Had multiple cringeworthy digs at his predecessor.
                                                               No, he didn't

• Gave a false generalisation of our previous playing style.
                                                               That's how he saw it. Football opinions usually disagree.

• Spoke about our relegation season inaccurately.
                                                                No, he didn't

• Suggested fans are on the back of Harvey Cartwright (despite having been seen/heard berating him himself).
                                                                  Some are

• Contradicted himself regarding whether we’re in a relegation fight.
                                                                  Was being honest

• Said nothing to really justify why he’s stubbornly sticking to a failing plan.
                                                                  He said that's how we'll get better as a football team

I think you'd find fault with anything he said tbh. A serial moaner is not much of a supporter in my book.

Reply: 11 - 37
February 13, 2024, 7:54am
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner

We just need to see something more from this team, perhaps sooner than he'd like.

If he really understood the situation then he'd know this.

Would you care to explain this to me please, especially 'perhaps sooner than he'd like' I really don't get what you are trying to say here.  Also the second part I highlighted doesn't make sense.

Reply: 12 - 37
MuddyWaters
February 13, 2024, 8:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
I’m on the fence about this.

Performances under DA were generally pretty good up till Harrogate and have been generally worse since. That implies he’s not getting the job done.

I’m on the fence because it’s still relatively early but there’s increasing pressure on him and that interview admitted that he was feeling the fans frustration.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Mayaman
February 13, 2024, 8:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
After a terrible interview on the weekend I do think that was much better from him. Interesting that JT had fact checked the  'first error leading to a goal caused by playing out from the back point' and found it to be True.

Wasn't there a goal that came from an inaccurate pass which Vernam failed to control that led to a goal?  Surely, that's playing out from the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
RichMariner
February 13, 2024, 8:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Artell obviously gets the benefit of the doubt with this broadly being a squad Hurst built, but also he came into this with his eyes open.

Our home form is hugely concerning, and I do question the wisdom around his methods so far. He talks a good game, so far he’s not been able to back this up.

My worry is that we scrape survival in such a way that people think finishing 21st is a success, he recruits a load of his own players and we’re 19th in October next season.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Zmariner
February 13, 2024, 8:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from davmariner
A genuine question. What do people find so good about the interview? In this audio clip alone he:

• Had multiple cringeworthy digs at his predecessor.
• Gave a false generalisation of our previous playing style.
• Spoke about our relegation season inaccurately.
• Suggested fans are on the back of Harvey Cartwright (despite having been seen/heard berating him himself).
• Contradicted himself regarding whether we’re in a relegation fight.
• Said nothing to really justify why he’s stubbornly sticking to a failing plan.

You are clearly on a tiresome mission. For the greater good, it would be much better if we could get a couple of good results now.
If we lose the next couple, then I suspect David Artell will be done but until that happens I will fully support utm

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Mappers
February 13, 2024, 8:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from RichMariner
Artell obviously gets the benefit of the doubt with this broadly being a squad Hurst built, but also he came into this with his eyes open.

Our home form is hugely concerning, and I do question the wisdom around his methods so far. He talks a good game, so far he’s not been able to back this up.

My worry is that we scrape survival in such a way that people think finishing 21st is a success, he recruits a load of his own players and we’re 19th in October next season.

My major worry is similiar -  if the worst happens Artell uses the 'it wasn't my squad ' line and doesn't take any accountability and the board give him longer to implement in the NL with things getting even worse - my fear is they now have a plan and will stick with it at  any cost .

Hoping my optimistic side is right : we win a few ,comfortably stay up with Artell building a promotion challenging side for next season and this last six months is just a blip .

I think some of his thoughts are good and I enjoy his interviews to a degree , he's obviously what you can describe as a new breed manager . Whether that fits us as a club or will bring us regular success is anyone's guess .

I'm not sure what we will get tonight , it's somewhat of a lottery isn't it ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Heisenberg
February 13, 2024, 8:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from RichMariner

That’s your worry? My only worry is relegation. You’ll have far worse worries in October if we’re in the conference.

This season is a write-off at best. If we stay up, we breathe a sigh of relief, and DA gets the summer to work on things.

I have my fingers crossed for him, as I want him to succeed. I especially want him to outfox the Cowley’s tonight, but i do suspect their general ‘sportsmanship’ may be the deciding factor,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
GrimRob
February 13, 2024, 9:09am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
It's an article of faith with him that we have to play a certain way to get promoted. Most zealots have some form of holy scripture they can point to, with him though we just have to accept it as a truism. This is specific to Grimsby presumably since plenty of other teams don't play that way and get promoted.

The reason we have been relegated twice is that we played the wrong way (although I am pretty sure Holloway also wanted to play "the right way"). We also got promoted twice playing the wrong way but that doesn't count because it's in the league below where you can get away with playing the wrong way.

We also have to wait a year to see the fruits of our labours learning to play the right way, but we don't need to worry about relegation since in the meantime "we won't get relegated" (another truism). The key to this belief I presume is that the two sides at the bottom keep losing although it is completely unaffected by how we play, other than when we play them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell's pre- Colchester interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.