lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2024, 9:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from davmariner

I think I’ve said on another thread that I take no pleasure in the fact that Artell is doing badly, but I still hope he proves me wrong - however I’m confident that he won’t.

Ultimately my view was (and still is) that we needed a pragmatic manager that would grind out the points that we needed to stay up.

Ripping everything up mid season and trying to make these players play out from the back when they’re low on confidence and ability was madness and destined to fail IMO and our results, particularly our home thumpings are reflecting that. It’s tantamount to playing Russian roulette with our league status.

If it pans out as you suggest surely the Board should take all the blame? They basically had Artell as their number one target, they knew exactly how he would play and that is exactly what they wanted.

He won't change his principles, he won't become pragmatic and will always play the same way. A way of playing I personally prefer - just like against Crewe and MK Dons and Salford. Saturday and the Tranmere game were of course unacceptable but so were dozens of games under the ever pragmatic Hurst.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Poojah
February 11, 2024, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from davmariner

I think I’ve said on another thread that I take no pleasure in the fact that Artell is doing badly, but I still hope he proves me wrong - however I’m confident that he won’t.

Ultimately my view was (and still is) that we needed a pragmatic manager that would grind out the points that we needed to stay up.

Ripping everything up mid season and trying to make these players play out from the back when they’re low on confidence and ability was madness and destined to fail IMO and our results, particularly our home thumpings are reflecting that. It’s tantamount to playing Russian roulette with our league status.

With hindsight, I think there’s possibly some truth in the idea that attempting to transition from ultra-pragmatic Hurstball to gung-ho, sexy football in one straight hit, in the middle of a difficult season, was a tad naive.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2024, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,263
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bawmariner

I'd be asking serious questions if we lost the next two games but I'm not going to lose it after losing 3-1 to the top of the league side. We've had some alright performances under Artell. The only real shockers I can think of are Walsall were we dominated the first 30 minutes and then fell to pieces and Tranmere. We haven't played too many teams around us since Artell arrived. Let's see how Tuesday goes.

Harrogate was poor but yesterday was a capitulation. We didn’t give ourselves a chance to get a foothold in the game.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
davmariner
February 11, 2024, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79

If it pans out as you suggest surely the Board should take all the blame? They basically had Artell as their number one target, they knew exactly how he would play and that is exactly what they wanted.

He won't change his principles, he won't become pragmatic and will always play the same way. A way of playing I personally prefer - just like against Crewe and MK Dons and Salford. Saturday and the Tranmere game were of course unacceptable but so were dozens of games under the ever pragmatic Hurst.

It would be a mistake on the part of the board, but I don’t doubt their intentions in making a decision that they felt was in the best interests of the club. I just hope that they don’t die on a hill over it and would be willing to make further changes to the management if the next two games go badly.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
arryarryarry
February 11, 2024, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116

If it pans out as Dav is suggesting then of course the board should take the blame as did JF for 2010 and 2021.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
1mickylyons
February 12, 2024, 7:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bawmariner

I'd be asking serious questions if we lost the next two games but I'm not going to lose it after losing 3-1 to the top of the league side. We've had some alright performances under Artell. The only real shockers I can think of are Walsall were we dominated the first 30 minutes and then fell to pieces and Tranmere. We haven't played too many teams around us since Artell arrived. Let's see how Tuesday goes.

You've missed Mansfield away .That was a another awful performance but for an inspired Cartwright it could have been 7/8.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Bawmariner
February 12, 2024, 8:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You've missed Mansfield away .That was a another awful performance but for an inspired Cartwright it could have been 7/8.

2nd half we weren't great but first half we matched them but didn't take our chances. I wouldn't really count that as a poor performance as I wouldn't count Stockport as a poor performance. Both teams have been playing the same way with similar players for years and therefore were always likely to beat us. They are simply better teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
ex-merseymariner
February 12, 2024, 8:25am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Bawmariner

'Some alright performances'?

We've won one of 6 at home under this boss.
Our last 5 home games have an aggregate score of 18-9 to the opposition.
Our last home clean sheet was 2nd September.

We lack bite, aggression, and are predictable.

Our manager has insisted twice that we won't go down, which is terrifying those of us who have watched us all season.

Every single side that's visited BP since 2nd September have scored against us, some of them have scored 5 or 6 times.

Note to jt/matt dean want to know when we will prioritise keeping a clean sheet and if not, why the hell not?!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
1mickylyons
February 12, 2024, 8:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bawmariner

2nd half we weren't great but first half we matched them but didn't take our chances. I wouldn't really count that as a poor performance as I wouldn't count Stockport as a poor performance. Both teams have been playing the same way with similar players for years and therefore were always likely to beat us. They are simply better teams.

Well another game I along with hundreds of other Town fans left early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
Spurn boy
February 12, 2024, 8:31am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Whilst we were all angry and frustrated about Saturdays result we started very much on the front foot with an attacking style of football and everything was looking good until the unbelievable error from Cartwright that knocked the stuffing out of the players and the fans but you see those mistakes happening in the premiership as well. DA won’t change his style of play, he can’t but can the players carry out his instructions. Think we will see a much better performance at Colchester without the crowd shouting to kick it long.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Home thoughts from abroad

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.