Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell In.

This thread currently has 4,597 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
oochiad
February 5, 2024, 5:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
One thing that Artell has given us is very entertaining football at times. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some of the games recently and I haven’t been able to say that for a long time. Stats don’t factor that in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
chaos33
February 5, 2024, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from oochiad
One thing that Artell has given us is very entertaining football at times. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some of the games recently and I haven’t been able to say that for a long time. Stats don’t factor that in.

Some stats do/would wouldn’t they. 🙂

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
rancido
February 5, 2024, 5:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Zmariner
I am supportive of Artell but I am not happy with playing out from the back so much. Accrington’s best chance was handed on a platter from this approach. DA just has to keep us up, if he fails he would be ousted. I expect him to achieve this with a bit to spare. We need to be lucky with injuries , as this for me is the only risk that we will get dragged in if we have to revert to the 2 goals per game conceded.
I think FG and particularly Sutton have plenty of fight in them and so 5/6 wins will be needed. A point on Saturday is great and achievable.   I would take a draw with a defensive performance, no need to go toe to toe, too risky as 7 times out of 10 you lose utm

It's not the playing out that creates opposition goal chances, especially the Accrington one, it's the manner it is done. There is a time to do something and a time when not to. Professional footballers at our level should know when to do any approach and not stick rigidly to the script.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Maringer
February 5, 2024, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,551
Gold Stars: 185
Even top-class players make stupid mistakes (look at that goal conceded by Liverpool yesterday), but the trick is to keep them to the minimum. There is no reason for a keeper to roll a ball a short distance to a defender as with the Accrington chance, because it doesn't gain any advantage. Passing it out of the box is worthwhile as it helps keep possession, but as others in the thread have noted, there's nothing wrong with smacking it up the line if the gambit to play it out hasn't worked on one particular occasion. Defenders routinely whack the ball out for a throw or a corner when under pressure from open play so you have to treat it in the same manner.

Hopefully, we'll get better at it, the more we work on things to keep the mistakes at a minimum but, rest assured, they will still happen from time to time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
ska face
February 5, 2024, 6:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Maringer
Even top-class players make stupid mistakes (look at that goal conceded by Liverpool yesterday), but the trick is to keep them to the minimum. There is no reason for a keeper to roll a ball a short distance to a defender as with the Accrington chance, because it doesn't gain any advantage.

Changes the angle & gets the game going - centre half can dribble it out if he’s got the space/ability, as soon as it’s in play the opposition have to come & close it down which frees up a teammate somewhere. If the keeper’s playing it short out of the box from a goalkick he’s got a 10/15yd pass to a static target who is more than likely already marked.

The Accrington chance was from Smtih not connecting right when trying to flick it round the corner, but Thompson was on to feet if needs be. In an ideal world, if you can’t get out playing through the lines you end up back with your keeper and you’re no worse off.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
HertsGTFC
February 5, 2024, 6:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HertsGTFC
DA has my full support and I'm sure he'll make the football pretty, he's clearly confident there is no threat that we'll get relegated unlike some of us.

Edit to this, at least you can see what Artell is actually trying to do.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.