Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell In.

This thread currently has 4,600 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
February 4, 2024, 9:16pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,751
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GrimRob
Hurst was a safe pair of hands. Never won automatic promotion anywhere. Solid and safe, unlikely to get relegated with him. Artell could go either way, but I don't expect a succession of midtable finishes. Next game is a free hit.
Paul Hurst was in charge for 16 league games this season, Dave Artell for 10 league games currently, lets see if we have improved come 16 games.

Also it will be interesting to see our results from this current Saturday with the new players and the following 15 games, which will bring us virtually to the end of the season.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2024, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Far, far too early to judge DA. I’m sure he’ll take us on a more ‘interesting’ journey.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
GrimRob
February 4, 2024, 11:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113

Eh? We were relegated with him in charge and he had half a season to prevent it, and a complete overhaul of the playing squad which his MO.

I don't think anyone could have kept us up that season from the position IH left us in. I don't think a PH side has ever been relegated where he has had a whole season in charge (he probably would have done at Ipswich though). He's reached the play-offs at most of his clubs (five times with us) but never got automatic promotion. He has a risk-averse approach, one of the reasons he doesn't get sacked much. Artell has only had one job so there's not much data to go on, my gut feeling is he's a boom-or-bust sort of guy - he'll either be sacked in six months or we'll be spectacularly successful.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 35
Tommy
February 5, 2024, 12:10am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Paul Hurst was in charge for 16 league games this season, Dave Artell for 10 league games currently, lets see if we have improved come 16 games.

Also it will be interesting to see our results from this current Saturday with the new players and the following 15 games, which will bring us virtually to the end of the season.

Those percentage figures aren't accurate are they?

If Artell has won 2 out of 10, how is that 18%?
5 losses out of 10 should be 50% surely?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Mayaman
February 5, 2024, 2:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from CSLM
Forgot to add that there are positives from playing out from the back but sometimes it is so obvious that it isn't the right time to do it, but we still try, which can be very fustrating. Hopefully the players are allowed to, and capable of, working it out.

When somebody who is bearing down on the player you are passing to for example.  Sometimes, a god old fashioned lump is better.   Felt the new RB made the right decisions here.  He played it around when he could but got rid when under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
GibMariner
February 5, 2024, 6:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from rancido

Most of the DA critics seem to be fans who either didn't want him or seem frightened of having a progressive modern manager. They might not like his style or approach. I still remember when AB MK1 became manager and there was so much criticism from the fans. He was a non-league manager who signed non-league players ( Keith Alexander, Andy Tilson , John Cockrill) and was preparing the club for non- league football. How wrong they were!!! I think DA is in a similar position in as much as he has a vision of how we should play his style of football and will get in the players who can do that. We also have owners who believe in that and want a club to be self- sufficient and not dependent on a rich benefactor to constantly prop them club up. As DA said when he joined them club " It's an evolution, not a revolution".

He has certainly got something to prove just like AB had back then👍👍
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
HerveJosse
February 5, 2024, 8:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Yeah you are right, I'm glad someone is on the ball. I had an extra draw in the Dave Artell pie chart even though the legend says 3. Fixed it now, can't believe I didn't see that lol.

Can you check the data our recruitment officer had on Mullarkey while you are at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
February 5, 2024, 8:16am
Guest User
Quoted from CSLM
Forgot to add that there are positives from playing out from the back but sometimes it is so obvious that it isn't the right time to do it, but we still try, which can be very frustrating. Hopefully the players are allowed to, and capable of, working it out.

Indeed, quite simply if the short pass isn't on, or looks too iffy, hoof it.  A coach I played under said, "if you're in trouble in the penalty box, hit it long and wide".

Reply: 17 - 35
fishcake63
February 5, 2024, 8:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
just avoid relegation & i'll be content this yr but next yr we must challenge a top 10 finish , i look at barrow harrogate etc fighting for promotion & play off spot , no way should we settle for some of the crap served up this yr when teams like that with smaller budgets smaller crowds can progress
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
February 5, 2024, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

I don't think anyone could have kept us up that season from the position IH left us in. I don't think a PH side has ever been relegated where he has had a whole season in charge (he probably would have done at Ipswich though). He's reached the play-offs at most of his clubs (five times with us) but never got automatic promotion. He has a risk-averse approach, one of the reasons he doesn't get sacked much. Artell has only had one job so there's not much data to go on, my gut feeling is he's a boom-or-bust sort of guy - he'll either be sacked in six months or we'll be spectacularly successful.

Hurst has been sacked by GTFC,  Scunthorpe and Ipswich.and only not sacked by Shrewsbury (yet).

All managers get sacked so I have no issue with that but personally I much prefer a manager who will get the team playing possession based attacking football, who has a philosophy that extends right through the club, will have faith in and improve young players and will not release players the minute they don't track back.

You also have to consider the paying fan. Months on end we've had to endure absolute dirge on the field with hardly any attacking intent. He deserves the credit for the play off successes and the cup run and no one can take that away, but we couldn't go on as we were.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell In.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.