Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Liam Smith signs on loan for Grimsby Town!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Liam Smith signs on loan for Grimsby Town!

This thread currently has 4,534 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
February 8, 2024, 7:44pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
GrimPol
February 8, 2024, 7:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

Quoted from Dundee Utd Forums
    Liam Smith is the sort of signing we've been crying out for.
    No nonsense, pace, calm head, defend first. Great stuff Liam, well done. With him on the right and Jamie Robson V.2 on the left it's no coincidence we've improved.

That quote was from 2019, but I do wish him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
fishboyUTM
February 10, 2024, 10:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Neilo83
Hopefully the end of mullarkeys town career.

Absolute nonsense. Mullarkey is a highly rated CENTRE BACK who can do a job at right back. It isn't his fault Hurst played him out of position for reasons known only to himself! Probably as he didn't bother signing a competent right back pre season.

With the departure of Luke Waterfall, and the signing of Smith, it means we are okay now in both positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Hagrid
February 10, 2024, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Absolute nonsense. Mullarkey is a highly rated CENTRE BACK who can do a job at right back. It isn't his fault Hurst played him out of position for reasons known only to himself! Probably as he didn't bother signing a competent right back pre season.

With the departure of Luke Waterfall, and the signing of Smith, it means we are okay now in both positions.

highly rated so much so that he has only spent half a season prior to joining us in the EFL. Mullarkey cannot defend, he has been a liability down the right hand side, and when played centre back, he didnt look much better. Artell has seen that, Brought in a new RB and i'd be surprised if Mullarkey plays more than 5 times from now till the end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
fishboyUTM
February 10, 2024, 10:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Hagrid

highly rated so much so that he has only spent half a season prior to joining us in the EFL. Mullarkey cannot defend, he has been a liability down the right hand side, and when played centre back, he didnt look much better. Artell has seen that, Brought in a new RB and i'd be surprised if Mullarkey plays more than 5 times from now till the end of the season

He hasn't been great at right back as he isn't a right back. Would imagine his confidence has been hit after being run ragged out of position. All I'm saying is don't write him off, he is highly rated when playing in his natural position as highlighted by Gab Sutton who knows his stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Hagrid
February 10, 2024, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from fishboyUTM

He hasn't been great at right back as he isn't a right back. Would imagine his confidence has been hit after being run ragged out of position. All I'm saying is don't write him off, he is highly rated when playing in his natural position as highlighted by Gab Sutton who knows his stuff.

I dont need a so called twitter expert who doesnt watch our games to tell me what I see with my own eyes, He said himself he can play right back. But i dont think he's going to get in the team at CB especially with the new lad we've brought in, you'd expect him to be 4th choice centre back behind Maher and Tharme, Rodgers as back up and then Mullarkey.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
toontown
February 10, 2024, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

I dont need a so called twitter expert who doesnt watch our games to tell me what I see with my own eyes, He said himself he can play right back. But i dont think he's going to get in the team at CB especially with the new lad we've brought in, you'd expect him to be 4th choice centre back behind Maher and Tharme, Rodgers as back up and then Mullarkey.

Agree with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
LocalLadGTFC
February 10, 2024, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree based on what i've seen at right back that he's a defensive liability but to say he couldn't play centre half is a stretch, vastly different roles and very much different requirements. Andy Smith looked horrific at right back against Solihull and got torn to pieces by Joe Sbarra and then ended up being a very good centre half for us. Mullarkey is a similar build to him and probably a tad quicker aswell, there's no reason to write someone off based on that he was asked to play in his not so favoured position. He could end up being our Danny Parslow in that he sticks around because of his versatility. I don't look at him and think he's horrendous at playing football, he has ability on the ball and quite often the goals we've conceded down the right have all been carbon copys in that he's been beaten down the outside. There's many other cases in football in which full backs not being good enough turn out to be more than capable centre halfs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 33
rancido
February 10, 2024, 12:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Hagrid

But, judging by the players that have been allowed to leave and the new intake, then you would think DA would have shipped Mullarkey out. Maybe DA sees things different to how some posters do.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
GtfcGarner
February 10, 2024, 12:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from fishboyUTM

That the little lad who gets his opinions based on everyone's fanbase opinion then links players with clubs as good options as he's signed them on Football Manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Liam Smith signs on loan for Grimsby Town!

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.