Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 10:32pm
Tweet 1753183964481692110 will appear here...
Posted by: Neilo83, February 1, 2024, 10:34pm; Reply: 1
Hopefully the end of mullarkeys town career.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 10:35pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Dundee Utd Forums
Liam Smith is the sort of signing we've been crying out for.
No nonsense, pace, calm head, defend first. Great stuff Liam, well done. With him on the right and Jamie Robson V.2 on the left it's no coincidence we've improved.
Source: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38251961&p=39379198#post39379198
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2024, 10:36pm; Reply: 3
Plenty of senior games, mid 20s again on the face of it looks like a decent addition.

So LB, RB and competent mid fielder. If that’s it then I guess we’ve tried to address the issues.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 1, 2024, 10:40pm; Reply: 4
So that's three of the back four replaced this month. Has to be good news. We might be harder to score against now, thank god. Brought in two midfielders too.  

We already have plenty of wide players.

I would have liked another striker personally as we are so reliant on Rose.
Posted by: mariner tommy, February 1, 2024, 10:48pm; Reply: 5
I’m happy with todays additions, just hope that the two new FB’s start on Saturday.
UTM
Posted by: BenBB, February 1, 2024, 10:48pm; Reply: 6
Ex St Mirren. Back in Black & White.
Posted by: BenBB, February 1, 2024, 10:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Neilo83

We all said that about Waterfall during that season...
Posted by: livosnose, February 1, 2024, 11:01pm; Reply: 8
My good friend who is a Dundee United fan says “ steady player , decent going forward , keeps it simple however prone to concentration lapses and likes to blame the GK “
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 1, 2024, 11:02pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Neilo83

Bell end
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 8, 2024, 7:44pm; Reply: 10
Posted by: GrimPol, February 8, 2024, 7:51pm; Reply: 11

Quoted from Dundee Utd Forums
    Liam Smith is the sort of signing we've been crying out for.
    No nonsense, pace, calm head, defend first. Great stuff Liam, well done. With him on the right and Jamie Robson V.2 on the left it's no coincidence we've improved.

That quote was from 2019, but I do wish him well.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 10, 2024, 10:02am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Neilo83

Absolute nonsense. Mullarkey is a highly rated CENTRE BACK who can do a job at right back. It isn't his fault Hurst played him out of position for reasons known only to himself! Probably as he didn't bother signing a competent right back pre season.

With the departure of Luke Waterfall, and the signing of Smith, it means we are okay now in both positions.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 10, 2024, 10:10am; Reply: 13
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Absolute nonsense. Mullarkey is a highly rated CENTRE BACK who can do a job at right back. It isn't his fault Hurst played him out of position for reasons known only to himself! Probably as he didn't bother signing a competent right back pre season.

With the departure of Luke Waterfall, and the signing of Smith, it means we are okay now in both positions.

highly rated so much so that he has only spent half a season prior to joining us in the EFL. Mullarkey cannot defend, he has been a liability down the right hand side, and when played centre back, he didnt look much better. Artell has seen that, Brought in a new RB and i'd be surprised if Mullarkey plays more than 5 times from now till the end of the season
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 10, 2024, 10:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid

highly rated so much so that he has only spent half a season prior to joining us in the EFL. Mullarkey cannot defend, he has been a liability down the right hand side, and when played centre back, he didnt look much better. Artell has seen that, Brought in a new RB and i'd be surprised if Mullarkey plays more than 5 times from now till the end of the season

He hasn't been great at right back as he isn't a right back. Would imagine his confidence has been hit after being run ragged out of position. All I'm saying is don't write him off, he is highly rated when playing in his natural position as highlighted by Gab Sutton who knows his stuff.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 10, 2024, 10:47am; Reply: 15
Quoted from fishboyUTM

He hasn't been great at right back as he isn't a right back. Would imagine his confidence has been hit after being run ragged out of position. All I'm saying is don't write him off, he is highly rated when playing in his natural position as highlighted by Gab Sutton who knows his stuff.

I dont need a so called twitter expert who doesnt watch our games to tell me what I see with my own eyes, He said himself he can play right back. But i dont think he's going to get in the team at CB especially with the new lad we've brought in, you'd expect him to be 4th choice centre back behind Maher and Tharme, Rodgers as back up and then Mullarkey.
Posted by: toontown, February 10, 2024, 11:06am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hagrid

I dont need a so called twitter expert who doesnt watch our games to tell me what I see with my own eyes, He said himself he can play right back. But i dont think he's going to get in the team at CB especially with the new lad we've brought in, you'd expect him to be 4th choice centre back behind Maher and Tharme, Rodgers as back up and then Mullarkey.

Agree with that.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 10, 2024, 11:57am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree based on what i've seen at right back that he's a defensive liability but to say he couldn't play centre half is a stretch, vastly different roles and very much different requirements. Andy Smith looked horrific at right back against Solihull and got torn to pieces by Joe Sbarra and then ended up being a very good centre half for us. Mullarkey is a similar build to him and probably a tad quicker aswell, there's no reason to write someone off based on that he was asked to play in his not so favoured position. He could end up being our Danny Parslow in that he sticks around because of his versatility. I don't look at him and think he's horrendous at playing football, he has ability on the ball and quite often the goals we've conceded down the right have all been carbon copys in that he's been beaten down the outside. There's many other cases in football in which full backs not being good enough turn out to be more than capable centre halfs.
Posted by: rancido, February 10, 2024, 12:01pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid

But, judging by the players that have been allowed to leave and the new intake, then you would think DA would have shipped Mullarkey out. Maybe DA sees things different to how some posters do.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, February 10, 2024, 12:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from fishboyUTM

That the little lad who gets his opinions based on everyone's fanbase opinion then links players with clubs as good options as he's signed them on Football Manager?
Posted by: GrimPol, February 10, 2024, 12:41pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Hagrid

He has played most times compared to all the others, so somebody likes him.
He can unnerve me when the backs are pressed, however, is good going forward and has some assists to his name. It will be interesting to see if he's picked as Stockport is good aerially in the box.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 10, 2024, 12:58pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimPol

He has played most times compared to all the others, so somebody likes him.
He can unnerve me when the backs are pressed, however, is good going forward and has some assists to his name. It will be interesting to see if he's picked as Stockport is good aerially in the box.

Is he really that good going forward?
Posted by: mariner91, February 10, 2024, 1:03pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Obviously one game isn’t a lot to go off but he played centre back against Crawley and looked even worse than he does at RB.
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 10, 2024, 1:09pm; Reply: 23
It appears that the same people who got in a tizz about people criticising Efete last season are the same ones who are happy to do the exact same to Mullarkey.

Posted by: mariner91, February 10, 2024, 1:10pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don’t think so, seems to be a bit of a myth that’s developed. Generally he struggles to go past a man and I think he looks awkward in possession plus his deliveries are inconsistent if we’re being kind. Put a peach of a cross in for Rose at Bradford and a good ball across for Eisa’s second against County but then has games like against Harrogate where he must have hit the first defender 10 times in the first half alone. He’s certainly not as good going forward as Glennon but is equally suspect defensively.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 10, 2024, 1:11pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GtfcGarner

That the little lad who gets his opinions based on everyone's fanbase opinion then links players with clubs as good options as he's signed them on Football Manager?

Though there are numpties that do this, Gab Sutton talks about stuff he’s researched and just shares it on social media, pod casts and via the web.

I would argue he’s better researched & informed than plenty of print jouno’s who just either share what they see on social media or gather from within the network of papers that are owned by the same people.

Like I say there are some numpties who talk bollox on Twitter especially during transfer windows what Gab Sutton does is talk EFL football but not in print copy.

It’s good as well as he’s not obsessed by the effing Premier League.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 10, 2024, 1:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91

I don’t think so, seems to be a bit of a myth that’s developed. Generally he struggles to go past a man and I think he looks awkward in possession plus his deliveries are inconsistent if we’re being kind. Put a peach of a cross in for Rose at Bradford and a good ball across for Eisa’s second against County but then has games like against Harrogate where he must have hit the first defender 10 times in the first half alone. He’s certainly not as good going forward as Glennon but is equally suspect defensively.

That’s the way I see him TBH.
Posted by: Davec, February 10, 2024, 1:26pm; Reply: 27
I can't say I am a massive Mullarkey fan from what I've seen, I don't think hes particularly impressive going forward, technically I don't think hes all that amazing with some poor crossing, albeit his cross for Rose at Bradford was incredible, I will say about Mullarkey is that he seems to be press resistant which is not something I can say for many of our players
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 10, 2024, 1:30pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from mariner91

He has probably gone past more players than nearly every player in our squad (certainly more than Eisa) so far this season, its his crossing (along with everyone else) and defending that are the problem
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 10, 2024, 1:44pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Madeleymariner

He has probably gone past more players than nearly every player in our squad (certainly more than Eisa) so far this season, its his crossing (along with everyone else) and defending that are the problem

So if he can’t defend or cross I think that would substantiate him not being selected.
Posted by: GrimPol, February 10, 2024, 1:52pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think so, he beats/goes past opposition players, and that is a rarity.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 10, 2024, 2:19pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimPol

I think so, he beats/goes past opposition players, and that is a rarity.

How many opposition players have beaten him?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 10, 2024, 8:29pm; Reply: 32
And have Mullarkey in over Rodgers, that's for sure
Posted by: Hagrid, February 10, 2024, 10:20pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from pontoonlew
It appears that the same people who got in a tizz about people criticising Efete last season are the same ones who are happy to do the exact same to Mullarkey.

Least Efete showed some defensive acumen. You know, the job he’s paid to do.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 3:58pm