Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Neil Warnock.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Neil Warnock.

This thread currently has 3,326 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
aussiej
January 29, 2024, 9:44am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 17
I was watching Neil Warnock and son playing Jimmy Bullard in a Utube Golf match. The interviewer asked him what annoyed him most  in modern day football and his reply was: Football clubs who think they can suddenly change to playing out at  the back without changing the players. All they do is concede soft goals.he said. What is the point of copying other clubs when you just don't have the players to do it. You should always play to your own strengths and not the oppositions. I thought that just about sums up our team. We should be trying to play to our own strengths and not copying others. We don't have the players and we are struggling because of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
January 29, 2024, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185
The problem is, what are our strengths?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
mariner91
January 29, 2024, 10:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,653
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer
The problem is, what are our strengths?

Beat me to it. We’re not strong. We’re not quick. We’re not big. We’re not energetic. We’re not good on the ball. We don’t have many players capable of taking a man on. Pretty much all our defenders are NL standard. And collectively have no balls.

I reckon Pep would struggle to work out a way to win with these losers.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
January 29, 2024, 10:12am
Guest User
Quoted from aussiej
I was watching Neil Warnock and son playing Jimmy Bullard in a Utube Golf match. The interviewer asked him what annoyed him most  in modern day football and his reply was: Football clubs who think they can suddenly change from playing out at  the back without changing the players. All they do is concede soft goals.he said. What is the point of copying other clubs when you just don't have the players to do it. You should always play to your own strengths and not the oppositions. I thought that just about sums up our team. We should be trying to play to our own strengths and not copying others. We don't have the players and we are struggling because of it.

So what then?  We just hoof it up field and hope to pickup the 2nd ball?

Reply: 3 - 34
Poojah
January 29, 2024, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500
How’s his diary looking between now and the end of April?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
HertsGTFC
January 29, 2024, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

Sometimes yeah.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
But these players can do it. Apart from Saturday our attacking intent has been a 100% improvement over the Hurst tactics. They seemed to enjoy it as well.

A couple of weeks ago all we needed to do was tighten up at the back. I don't understand what happened on Saturday- the selection, the lack of a plan was reminiscent of Hurst’s team.

To go back to being "pragmatic" and hoping for the best would be a retrograde step.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
IlkleyMariner
January 29, 2024, 10:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
It would be a brave person to criticise Neil Warnock.  Certainly face to face…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
MuddyWaters
January 29, 2024, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

It’s been our method for quite a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
fishcake63
January 29, 2024, 10:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
We are not good enough to play out end of but we have a manager that thinks we can hence why we concede awful goals most games , unless we change & he wont we best hope sutton & fgr dont suddenly pick two or three wins up because i dont see us getting over 40 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
Northbank Mariner
January 29, 2024, 11:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,471
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from fishcake63
We are not good enough to play out end of but we have a manager that thinks we can hence why we concede awful goals most games , unless we change & he wont we best hope sutton & fgr dont suddenly pick two or three wins up because i dont see us getting over 40 points

Mate, Saturday we lost because one player cocked up!...nothing to do with playing out from the back, we actually controlled it pretty well, Cartwright had next to nothing to do, and their second goal was an own goal anyway!! .
Did you not see the Crewe, Salford, County, Morecambe  Mk games?..
Warnock is like Hodgson, talking about yester years tactics and doesn't understand its 2024 and the worlds moved on from midfielders breaking forwards legs, and 4-4-2..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
LocalLadGTFC
January 29, 2024, 11:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from fishcake63

Do you actually watch the games or just spout shite? We don't concede because we are playing out from the back, I literally can not pick a single goal out we've conceded where we've been caught on the ball and it's lead to them scoring. Every single goal is a carbon copy of itself, our full back is beaten far too easily and it's walked into the net, it was a problem last season aswell. It's not just a this season issue, we have full backs that can't defend.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 34
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 29, 2024, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Warnock made me laugh when he was interviewed a little while ago and asked why his team didn't play out from the back, he replied 'I've got 2 centre backs who can't pass water'.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
jimgtfc
January 29, 2024, 12:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
To be fair I don’t think it’s the playing out from the back that’s the problem. I can’t remember us conceding a goal as a direct result of it anyway. It’s the basics we can’t do, track runners, stop crosses and win first balls. Until Saturday, when we had an inept midfielder supposed to be playing in front of the back four, I think the actual playing out from the back has been pretty good.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Do you actually watch the games or just spout shite? We don't concede because we are playing out from the back, I literally can not pick a single goal out we've conceded where we've been caught on the ball and it's lead to them scoring. Every single goal is a carbon copy of itself, our full back is beaten far too easily and it's walked into the net, it was a problem last season aswell. It's not just a this season issue, we have full backs that can't defend.  

Maybe the County first (I think, could have been second) when Vernam miscontrolled, Mullarkey miles ahead of play and they take advantage.  That's the only example I can think of where our 'style' has cost us.

Rodgers not knowing how to head a ball and Glennon having the physical prowess of a dying hamster when getting caught wrong side is not about our style.  If anything I think I'd be more worried that if we weren't trying to play it out a bit because the way our defence aren't defending, our best hope is trying to outscore teams.

Ironically on Saturday we completely abandoned any attempts to play football out from the back and just reverted to hoofing it.  Massive gap between the isolated Danny Rose and surprise, surprise we invited pressure on a countless basis.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
SpiritOf98
January 29, 2024, 12:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from jimgtfc
To be fair I don’t think it’s the playing out from the back that’s the problem. I can’t remember us conceding a goal as a direct result of it anyway. It’s the basics we can’t do, track runners, stop crosses and win first balls. Until Saturday, when we had an inept midfielder supposed to be playing in front of the back four, I think the actual playing out from the back has been pretty good.

Absolutely right. We actually looked much better at it on Saturday bc of Tharne's calm and assured presence. Even the leaky right of defence/Mullarkey hole looked more secure with him there, add in the goal and quite an impressive debut for the lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from SpiritOf98

Absolutely right. We actually looked much better at it on Saturday bc of Tharne's calm and assured presence. Even the leaky right of defence/Mullarkey hole looked more secure with him there, add in the goal and quite an impressive debut for the lad.

I thought he was absolutely shocking. He was calm in the sense he kept endlessly passing back to the keeper but I thought he didn't have anything about him at all.

Time will tell.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
SpiritOf98
January 29, 2024, 1:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6

I thought he was absolutely shocking. He was calm in the sense he kept endlessly passing back to the keeper but I thought he didn't have anything about him at all.

Time will tell.

Shocking? That's a label I'd use for Mullarkey at RB, thought Tharne looked very good and throught we suffered second half without him. Still, opinions eh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
arryarryarry
January 29, 2024, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Do you watch the games?

I'm not saying just hoof it but how many goals have we scored from playing it out from the back?

Some are suggesting we played it out well on Saturday but until very late on in the game we created frig all.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from SpiritOf98

Shocking? That's a label I'd use for Mullarkey at RB, thought Tharne looked very good and throught we suffered second half without him. Still, opinions eh.

Yes it's all about opinions and I thought Maher improved us when he came on! Football eh?!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
LocalLadGTFC
January 29, 2024, 1:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from arryarryarry

Do you watch the games?

I'm not saying just hoof it but how many goals have we scored from playing it out from the back?

Some are suggesting we played it out well on Saturday but until very late on in the game we created frig all.

I agree that we aren't very good at it, but we've created many chances and goals from us building up the play from the back. Sometimes it's too slow and lethargic, on Saturday when it went into the midfield it went backwards 99% of the time. The absence of Conteh leaves a huge hole as we lack someone that can really break the lines. I think Tharme looked good, he was quite commanding in the air and looked good on it. I think him and Maher could compliment each other well but I don't really have much hope at full back anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 34
jimgtfc
January 29, 2024, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Thought Tharme got muscled off the ball a few times and got caught being too keen to nip in as well, but he wasn’t ‘shocking’. I was more surprised that he wasn’t the ball playing, central defender that I thought David Brent would bring in. He looked unsure what to do with the ball whenever he had it and just ended up playing it back to Rodgers or Cartwright, or sending a high looping ball forwards, which I don’t think the manager was happy with. Hopefully that was just because he had no midfield in front of him whatsoever.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
1mickylyons
January 29, 2024, 2:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614

Yeah we've been doing that since August. 🙄

Rose is so isolated nobody is near enough to pick up a 2nd ball.Keep up ffs were now tika taka like Barca only without the sun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
RichMariner
January 29, 2024, 2:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Artell said we reverted to type. I think our midfield needs to be better at showing for the ball, and braver when they get it, facing our own goal 40 yards out.

That's not Wood or Andrews' game, and Tranmere pressed Green the whole time so in that situation what do you do?

It's a worrying sign that we're getting worse, not better, after beating Salford 3-0.

I appreciate we've had change in personnel too, but hasn't every team in Jan?

Tranmere knew we'd try and pass it out from the back. They set up in a 4-4-2 and let our back line have it. Our 3 in midfield couldn't escape the 4 of Tranmere.

Then we hit it long to a bloke who's got a decent leap but at the end of the day he's not six foot. Wide players Clifton and Eisa are in no man's land.

Tactically, we were out-thought. Physically, we were out-fought.

I want to like Artell but it worries me that neither he nor his players had any clue of what to do when it became clear we'd need to do something different.

With 11 men settled and in position, we weren't going to tip-tap it around and jostle the opposition out of position. They were far too disciplined to fall for that trap.

Artell needs to see the season out playing in a way that suits our players. Trouble is, now that he's moved some on and brought some in, we're a bit of a mess in terms of style.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
HerveJosse
January 29, 2024, 5:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from fishcake63

I’d take 40 points and risk it right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Thought Tharme got muscled off the ball a few times and got caught being too keen to nip in as well, but he wasn’t ‘shocking’. I was more surprised that he wasn’t the ball playing, central defender that I thought David Brent would bring in. He looked unsure what to do with the ball whenever he had it and just ended up playing it back to Rodgers or Cartwright, or sending a high looping ball forwards, which I don’t think the manager was happy with. Hopefully that was just because he had no midfield in front of him whatsoever.

Probably the wrong choice of word on my part, I should have said very underwhelming. We started with Tharme and Rodgers, but would prefer Maher and Waterfall if he was still here over those two. I agree with your description of Tharme though and to me he just didn't have any presence at all and was far too lightweight, not quick, couldn't pick a pass.  

This is what irks me with recruitment - keep your money in your pocket if we just keep swapping players if we are not going to get an upgrade.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Northbank Mariner
January 29, 2024, 5:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,471
Gold Stars: 171

Probably the wrong choice of word on my part, I should have said very underwhelming. We started with Tharme and Rodgers, but would prefer Maher and Waterfall if he was still here over those two. I agree with your description of Tharme though and to me he just didn't have any presence at all and was far too lightweight, not quick, couldn't pick a pass.  

This is what irks me with recruitment - keep your money in your pocket if we just keep swapping players if we are not going to get an upgrade.

What you on about?...Waterfall was past it, he turned slower than oil tanker, league football was beyond him, we've bought a 24 year old, who looked assured imo, can't judge him on one performance, playing with Mullarkey and Glennon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

What you on about?...Waterfall was past it, he turned slower than oil tanker, league football was beyond him, we've bought a 24 year old, who looked assured imo, can't judge him on one performance, playing with Mullarkey and Glennon.

In your opinion he looked assured, which is fair enough, and he looked anything but in mine, so time will tell which of us is right!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
toontown
January 29, 2024, 8:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

In your opinion he looked assured, which is fair enough, and he looked anything but in mine, so time will tell which of us is right!

I thought, bearing in mind how bad our defence has been, that I didn't notice him being a particular upgrade, just seemed much of a muchness with Rodgers really, which is a bit worrying!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Maringer
January 29, 2024, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Tharme did fine. Nothing special, but nothing terrible. He's as good a ball player as the rest of our centre-halves so can't really critise him for that side of the game too much.

Waterfall isn't half the player he was during our promotion season, so it was time for him to move on. Our current options aren't as strong as him in the air, but there isn't much difference in other aspects and he's by far the slowest of them. I think the Walsall game sealed his fate, though it may have been that a move was already in the pipeline. It was certainly rumoured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
HertsGTFC
January 29, 2024, 9:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
If we’d have drawn the game and he’d have played the full 90 I’m sure Tharme would have been a decent signing.

For what it’s worth I thought he did ok considering the game time he’s had this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
TownSNAFU5
January 29, 2024, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
DA wants to play out from the back.  This is unrealistic with the current players.  We must survive this season ( of course).  Maybe DA will not change his approach this seaso ( which is yet another worry).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
TownSNAFU5
January 29, 2024, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
DA wants to play out from the back.  This is unrealistic with the current players.  We must survive this season ( of course).  Maybe DA will not change his approach this seaso ( which is yet another worry).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
Mappers
January 29, 2024, 9:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from HerveJosse

I’d take 40 points and risk it right now.

40 points would have got us relegated 8 out of the last 10 full league 2 seasons , I don't like those odds .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
DB
January 29, 2024, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If we’d have drawn the game and he’d have played the full 90 I’m sure Tharme would have been a decent signing.

For what it’s worth I thought he did ok considering the game time he’s had this season.

I agree with you about Tharme. Let's face it he only played 62 minutes and scored on his debut. You've got to see him over a few games before he can be judged.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Neil Warnock.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.