5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
January 4, 2024, 7:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Championship , top end of League one, League two relegation fight is a pretty steep decline.At least they won’t have to relocate if the next job is back at Braintree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
moosey_club
January 4, 2024, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Is Akinde Pen still at Colchester ? I would imagine if so that their penalty count will increase once the Bros are in the fourth officials ear constantly.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
TAGG
January 4, 2024, 7:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from davmariner
Should have brought them here.

No chance.
Look at the last school teacher masquerading as a football manager we had, that went real well.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
Mappers
January 5, 2024, 1:23am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from davmariner

He didn’t fail at Huddersfield, he kept them up - the issue was the relationship with the owner. And at Portsmouth they arguably built the foundations that have allowed allowed the current team to flourish having inherited a mess.

I wouldn't go that far with Pompey I go to a few of their games as my wifes Nan is a st holder - they hated the Cowleys style of football (as it wasn't winning ) and not easy on the eye with a hefty budget for league 1 ; they did try and change their style a bit but it didn't end well - Mousinho has completely changed the style and personnel it's more the new style of young coaching /football maybe we are looking at . It's turned it around there , I suppose we have to hope Artell can do the same with us .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
GollyGTFC
January 5, 2024, 8:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,963
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mappers

I wouldn't go that far with Pompey I go to a few of their games as my wifes Nan is a st holder - they hated the Cowleys style of football (as it wasn't winning ) and not easy on the eye with a hefty budget for league 1 ; they did try and change their style a bit but it didn't end well - Mousinho has completely changed the style and personnel it's more the new style of young coaching /football maybe we are looking at . It's turned it around there , I suppose we have to hope Artell can do the same with us .

Where have you got the idea that Portsmouth have/had one of the top wage budgets in L1 from? They don't. Under Cowley they had a mid-table budget and he had them in a league position that reflected their budget if not slightly higher.

Portsmouth are having a good season, but it was helpful that over the past 2 seasons Sunderland, Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday were promoted with budgets that dwarfed Portsmouth.

I don't get the Cowley failed at Huddersfield and Portsmouth myth that is being spouted. He left both clubs is significantly better shape than he inherited,

And remember this next season. When Cowley & Colchester are near the top of L2 going for promotion. Remember that Cowley wasn't good enough for our precious fans and our owners. I wonder where we'll be in the table with Artell (if he hasn't been sacked by then).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 48
Northbank Mariner
January 5, 2024, 8:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Where have you got the idea that Portsmouth have/had one of the top wage budgets in L1 from? They don't. Under Cowley they had a mid-table budget and he had them in a league position that reflected their budget if not slightly higher.

Portsmouth are having a good season, but it was helpful that over the past 2 seasons Sunderland, Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday were promoted with budgets that dwarfed Portsmouth.

I don't get the Cowley failed at Huddersfield and Portsmouth myth that is being spouted. He left both clubs is significantly better shape than he inherited,

And remember this next season. When Cowley & Colchester are near the top of L2 going for promotion. Remember that Cowley wasn't good enough for our precious fans and our owners. I wonder where we'll be in the table with Artell (if he hasn't been sacked by then).

Well, if getting sacked from your job isn't failure then I don't what the hell is!!..
Pompey fans hated their style, in the same way an awful lot of town fans hated Hursts style, and I think your being a bit too presumptuous that the Cowleys will succeed at Colchester and Artell will fail here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2024, 8:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Well, if getting sacked from your job isn't failure then I don't what the hell is!!..

You're right in the 'normal' world but football just isn't normal. Football managers getting sacked seems to be inevitable, the measure of success or failure is what they achieved and how long they survived in a job.

Rooney is clearly a failure at Birmingham - team has gone backwards alarmingly and he was sacked after a very short period in charge. If Klopp were sacked at Liverpool there is no way you could say he had failed.

The number of managers who leave their jobs as a result of their own decision is very small (and includes those who leave to facilitate a move to another club).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
diehardmariner
January 5, 2024, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When they took over in March '21 Portsmouth were in 10th  place.  3 points behind 6th placed Charlton with two games in hand.
They ended the season still in 10th place but 10 points behind Wycombe in 6th placed.  

In 21-22 under the Cowley's, their only full season in charge, they had a higher end of mid-table budget - figures are a bit skewed owing to mixing of seasons...but it gives an idea.

Tweet 1731584919095153029 will appear here...

Reduction in number of players on the books but significant increase in non-football staff on the books, more likely be office staff but could also be football related backroom staff.

When they left Portsmouth just over a year ago they were 12th, with an 11 point gap to the 6th placed Barnsley.   On league placings alone, they left them in a worse position than when they took over.  Arguably even more so considering their departure came at the end of a two-month winless run.

Of course there's that argument that he laid the foundations for this season, but then there's also the argument that where he failed Mousinho has succeeded.  
'
I don't think they particularly 'failed' at Huddersfield, I'm not sure the remit was solely to keep them up (not just six games into the season).  But they had a mid-table budget and didn't reach mid-table.  What you definitely have to acknowledge though is the majority of business was done before they arrived.  1 permanent signing just after they joined (Danny Simpson) and then two further (Richard Stearman and Harry Toffolo) in the Jan window.  Five loans in the Jan window too.

Tweet 1401788109382209536 will appear here...

TL;DR

They're not all that.  Not the worst appointments you could make, but I wouldn't be getting too excited as a Colchester fan.  One thing to note though is that at both Portsmouth and Huddersfield they had pretty decent bounces in form either straight after taking over or soon after.  What followed was generally streaky runs of wins/defeats rather than any form of consistency.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
Mappers
January 5, 2024, 7:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
They seem to be similiar to Hurst in that they operate better with so called underdog clubs - Braintree and Lincoln at the time were backs to the wall jobs were they worked wonders but not so well at the clubs with higher expectations and where a more fluid exponent of football is expected . You could argue Colchester is closer to the former 2 rather than latter so might suit them but Golly's view that they are some sort of lower league oracles isn't my view but each to their own i guess .

They seem to like to work with senior players , one's that they know a lot of the time but Colchester are quite big on bringing academy players through so it will be interesting to see if they change in that regard .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
arryarryarry
January 6, 2024, 2:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Pompey fans hated their style, in the same way an awful lot of town fans hated Hursts style, and I think your being a bit too presumptuous that the Cowleys will succeed at Colchester and Artell will fail here.

Just to mention that Artell was sacked after getting Crewe relegated.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New Colchester Manager/s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.