Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Spalding Tuesday night.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Spalding Tuesday night.

This thread currently has 10,249 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
December 20, 2023, 12:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,727
Gold Stars: 226
Ok, at least 7 of the starting line up have played for the first team this season , so one would have expected they had enough to see off Spalding. But we had three players coming back from injury so probably not fully match fit.

On a positive note it’s good to see Khouri starting. Once he is match fit he will be a good addition to the squad. Be very interesting to see him progress under DA.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
Son of Cod
December 20, 2023, 12:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Every thing I've heard from DA would suggest he picked a team that would win that game last night. The likes of Waterfall, Khan, Green, Amos and Ainley had a chance to stake a claim and didn't take it. I'm certainly not arsed about the Lincs Cup - I described it as meaningless above.

Did Artell actually speak about the match then? I may well have missed it as I don't always catch every interview that comes out the club.

Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Except it doesn't, new manager in place and very little opportunity for these players to play there way into the team. Won't play against an opposition of that level again all season and these players should of been playing to try and get into the team. At least that'd be my attitude if I was selected, i'd be covering every blade of grass to try and get my way back into the team. It's not harsh to say that certain players aren't up to the standard we're wanting anymore. Amos is a good NL full back but even then he wasn't exactly setting the world alight, only got an extension due to a clause in his contract I may add and Waterfall is just too old now. Efete had a good game and showed Artell what he can offer to him after falling himself out the team. Gav at Newport showed the attitude required to get yourself back into the team. Show a bit of desire to do something and change a game... Certain players just aren't good enough anymore or don't have the attitude required to be here under DA.

I'm not saying it wasn't an opportunity for some players but the way some are banging on is a bit OTT. Someone mentioned that it was a dark day for the club earlier in the thread! I'd like to think that was tongue in cheek but I'm not so sure. All I'm saying is that there were plenty of players in the side that were miles off match fitness and getting everyone through that unscathed and more prepared for a busy festive schedule was more important than the result. Other than Waterfall playing the full match against Sutton, the back four and keeper from last night haven't played at all in the last six weeks or so. Four players in the lineup hadn't kicked a ball for the men's team all season.  Everyone's welcome to their opinion of course, but I sure as hell won't be losing any sleep over losing to Spalding in the Lincs Cup.

Fair play for going though mate, that's some effort that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Grantham_Mariner
December 20, 2023, 1:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
The problem was that Spalding were tackling, and the Town players did not like it. Spalding were playing one/two touch football and playing the ball upfield (not passing) which created a lot of 50/50 balls that I am afraid the Town players did not seem to want to win. Eastwood was poor and looked like he did not want to be there.
Referee was poor, but we can not blame him for not wining.

All over a poor performance from Town.

No one will start on Saturday that played last night, some of them do not even deserve to be in the matchday squad.

GTFC man of the match : Efete

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
diehardmariner
December 20, 2023, 1:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Can see in those highlights a few occasions where the Town lads held back a bit in the tackles. Green, very surprisingly,  a couple of times and then Andrews leading up to the penalty that Amos gave away for their third.

I kinda get it.  No-one wants to be getting injured in what is effectively a meaningless game but as many others have said, a missed opportunity for a fair few to play their way into the starting plans.  A risky approach when January is coming and the club have said, be it the truth or not, that it'll have to be a case of players going out to bring anyone in.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
December 20, 2023, 2:24pm
Guest User
Good to see Michee in the 6 yard box for his two goals, like the way he gets forward to help in attacking.
Reply: 64 - 70
Stranger in the Park
December 20, 2023, 9:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
Having now seen the match highlights (twice)  I can only conclude that certain posters were not at the match. I saw plenty of commitment from our players but it was very obvious that they were not up to speed having not been part of the first team for some time. To say they were poor is unfair especially as the match ended in a draw - which flattered Spalding . The fact remains that we lost on penalties, not on match play. Our keeper should have done a lot better for the first two Spalding goals and the penalty awarded to them was highly disputable in my eyes. Unfortunately, deciding a match on a penalty shoot out is just a lottery and just highlighted how our goalie had a very bad night - not the whole team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Grantham_Mariner
December 20, 2023, 9:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
Having now seen the match highlights (twice)  I can only conclude that certain posters were not at the match. I saw plenty of commitment from our players but it was very obvious that they were not up to speed having not been part of the first team for some time. To say they were poor is unfair especially as the match ended in a draw - which flattered Spalding . The fact remains that we lost on penalties, not on match play. Our keeper should have done a lot better for the first two Spalding goals and the penalty awarded to them was highly disputable in my eyes. Unfortunately, deciding a match on a penalty shoot out is just a lottery and just highlighted how our goalie had a very bad night - not the whole team.

The SPALDING match highlights failed to show any of there agression and crunch tackling which resulted in the Town players backing off or reluctant to take them on. It only showed what Spalding wanted to show.

And YES I was there, and I stick to my previous comments.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
BrMarin
December 21, 2023, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Sorry, we should be smashing SPALDING whenever, wherever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
arryarryarry
December 22, 2023, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Son of Cod

Did Artell actually speak about the match then? I may well have missed it as I don't always catch every interview that comes out

DA spoke about the game in the pre-Harrogate match interview.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
Son of Cod
December 22, 2023, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from arryarryarry

DA spoke about the game in the pre-Harrogate match interview.

Yep saw that yesterday, asked my question before that, meant during the build up. Cheers for the headsup though, appreciated all the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Spalding Tuesday night.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.