Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Was it worth it?

This thread currently has 4,113 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 3:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Was it worth it?

Yesterday I left home at 7.00 to travel to Blundell Park from near Woking in Surrey, a round trip of about 440 miles. I have a season ticket for the past seven years. I got to the first station and my first train (out of five) and found the fast train to London was cancelled and had to use the slow stopping train instead. Still managed to get to Kings Cross for my train to Doncaster.

Just before Doncaster I saw that there would be a pitch inspection at 11.00. I never gave a thought to the match being called off. I knew it would be cold and rainy. I was then told another pitch inspection at 12.00 so got on the train to Cleethorpes. At least I can have my fish and chips. Whilst eating my meal I saw that the game was on but then found that the 17.24 train back to Doncaster was cancelled (grrr)

I got the 18.24 train back to Doncaster and got on the London train which did not move. We were then told there was a problem but they were not sure what it was. After about 20 minutes they asked all the passengers going to Grantham to get off and they put them in taxis.

We were them told there was a problem with  the power lines and they got another train to Doncaster which could use a different route. This went through Lincoln, Sleaford and then across country to Peterborough. However, it was quite a wait before it left Doncaster. It then stopped a bit further down the line due to signalling issues. Then gone going and then stopped due a freight train. Got to Kings Cross at 12.30 Sunday morning.  All trains back to Surrey would have gone by the time I got across London to Waterloo.

I asked the train staff how I am expected to get home and they said they will arrange taxis, So about 80 odd (odd being the right word in connection with me) people were sorted into order of where they were going. Some were even going down to Cornwall !!

It was probably about 1.30 when a man and myself got put into a taxi. We had to drop him off first which added about 20 minutes to the trip. I finally got to my car about 2.30.

When I go home and after having a bath and a sit down (not unlike what I have been doing for the last 7 hours) got to be at 3.30. 12 and half hours after the game started and eleven hours after it finished.

Was it worth it? Well my previous game was home to Accrington and in the second half I sat there wondering what the hell am I doing. However, the difference David Artell has brought to the team is amazing. In his first game at Milton Keynes in charge the difference was really refreshing. Taking the game to the opposition and playing confidently and making chances. And yesterday was the same. Really entertaining as well. So the answer is definitely YES - but I hope I don't have the same problems again when I visit Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
rancido
December 10, 2023, 3:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 96
You are a real Grimbarian. Credit to you mate.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
December 10, 2023, 4:08pm
Guest User
Dedication in its truest form.
Reply: 2 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 10, 2023, 4:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Deserve some sort of award for that dedication and made me feel guilty about the long trip from Lincoln for home matches!!!

Well done sir unbelievable what fans will endure for a game of football especially one available for a tenner on tv!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Azimuth
December 10, 2023, 4:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from MarinerRob
Was it worth it?

Yesterday I left home at 7.00 to travel to Blundell Park from near Woking in Surrey, a round trip of about 440 miles. I have a season ticket for the past seven years. I got to the first station and my first train (out of five) and found the fast train to London was cancelled and had to use the slow stopping train instead. Still managed to get to Kings Cross for my train to Doncaster.

Just before Doncaster I saw that there would be a pitch inspection at 11.00. I never gave a thought to the match being called off. I knew it would be cold and rainy. I was then told another pitch inspection at 12.00 so got on the train to Cleethorpes. At least I can have my fish and chips. Whilst eating my meal I saw that the game was on but then found that the 17.24 train back to Doncaster was cancelled (grrr)

I got the 18.24 train back to Doncaster and got on the London train which did not move. We were then told there was a problem but they were not sure what it was. After about 20 minutes they asked all the passengers going to Grantham to get off and they put them in taxis.

We were them told there was a problem with  the power lines and they got another train to Doncaster which could use a different route. This went through Lincoln, Sleaford and then across country to Peterborough. However, it was quite a wait before it left Doncaster. It then stopped a bit further down the line due to signalling issues. Then gone going and then stopped due a freight train. Got to Kings Cross at 12.30 Sunday morning.  All trains back to Surrey would have gone by the time I got across London to Waterloo.

I asked the train staff how I am expected to get home and they said they will arrange taxis, So about 80 odd (odd being the right word in connection with me) people were sorted into order of where they were going. Some were even going down to Cornwall !!

It was probably about 1.30 when a man and myself got put into a taxi. We had to drop him off first which added about 20 minutes to the trip. I finally got to my car about 2.30.

When I go home and after having a bath and a sit down (not unlike what I have been doing for the last 7 hours) got to be at 3.30. 12 and half hours after the game started and eleven hours after it finished.

Was it worth it? Well my previous game was home to Accrington and in the second half I sat there wondering what the hell am I doing. However, the difference David Artell has brought to the team is amazing. In his first game at Milton Keynes in charge the difference was really refreshing. Taking the game to the opposition and playing confidently and making chances. And yesterday was the same. Really entertaining as well. So the answer is definitely YES - but I hope I don't have the same problems again when I visit Blundell Park.

Well done sir!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 4:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Well done sir unbelievable what fans will endure for a game of football especially one available for a tenner on tv!

I do travel to Denmark (that what I lead them to believe) The marvels of modern technology (and a VPN).
And  I can see all Grimsby matches online but you can not beat being at the game. There is so much more to enjoy and immerse yourself into the game.
I also can see the ships going by on a bad day. Hopefully, I won't be doing that in the future.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
StacyColdicotts_hairline
December 10, 2023, 4:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Full credit to you and your dedication.

The Amount of living room windows I walk past on match day (no more than a few hundred yards from the ground) which are illuminated by ifollow always surprises me 🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
NG16 Mariner
December 10, 2023, 5:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +22
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerRob
Was it worth it?

If its of any benefit, if trains to Nottingham or Derby are easier and more reliable then as I live midway between them and I'm also a season ticket holder at BP then am happy to help.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from NG16 Mariner

If its of any benefit, if trains to Nottingham or Derby are easier and more reliable then as I live midway between them and I'm also a season ticket holder at BP then am happy to help.

Thank you for that. Normally things are not too bad but the strikes have not helped and the damage with the overhead power lines, hopefully, won't be an ongoing situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
IlkleyMariner
December 10, 2023, 5:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I’m not sure what the difference between commitment and lunacy is, but when it comes to following a football club it’s half expected.

Mariner Rob should be congratulated for his efforts this weekend. Rob are you from Grimsby originally or perhaps from one of the outlying towns or villages?

I’ve followed Town to the four corners of England, Carlisle, Newcastle, Gillingham and Devon. But never had to experience such a journey as Rob..Well done. Hope your next trip is much easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
moosey_club
December 10, 2023, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,251
Gold Stars: 226
Just drive  

The train system today is well and truly fcked and is pretty much a game of Russian Roulette.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Epworth Mariner
December 10, 2023, 6:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Bloody star…….
And I felt put out coming from Epworth……
Free fish and chips from Debbi ?.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Spurn boy
December 10, 2023, 7:09pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
What a journey for you, a few weeks ago I would have called you insane but I’m sure after watching that performance and getting the right result made it feel well justified. I’m getting nervous about the train journey from Cleethorpes to Manchester in a couple of weeks to go on holiday with all the strikes going on. Well done mate that was a hell of a journey. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
cmackenzie4
December 10, 2023, 7:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from MarinerRob
Was it worth it?

If it’s any consolation it was me who signalled you through Lincoln, the diversions were caused by overhead lines coming down, we had multiple failures with regarding trees on the line and crossing failures, I do hope you wasn’t on the train that was sat in Spalding station for 45 minutes ? It was a demanding shift here in the signalling centre last night but so glad you got home safely.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 9:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Rob are you from Grimsby originally or perhaps from one of the outlying towns or villages?.

I was born in Cleethorpes and my Dad moved to London in 1964 for work. In 1966 he brought my Mum and the rest of us down when I was 14, nearly 15. I only have supported Town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 9:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

If it’s any consolation it was me who signalled you through Lincoln, the diversions were caused by overhead lines coming down, we had multiple failures with regarding trees on the line and crossing failures, I do hope you wasn’t on the train that was sat in Spalding station for 45 minutes ? It was a demanding shift here in the signalling centre last night but so glad you got home safely.

I was not at Spalding station but we were held at Doncaster for about 45-60 minutes. About 30 minutes on a very cold windy platform.

Must have been satisfying working out what to do and re-routing the train.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Grimal
December 10, 2023, 10:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
You'll have to start flying up here in your motorhome Robin, at least you'd have your bed with you and not have to rush off to catch the train. If you ever get stuck up here in the future there's always a bed here for you mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 10:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Grimal
You'll have to start flying up here in your motorhome Robin, at least you'd have your bed with you and not have to rush off to catch the train. If you ever get stuck up here in the future there's always a bed here for you mate.

Hi Al, the motorhome had to be sold as my wife was unable to get into due to mobility issues. Thank you for your offer of a bed for the night. Hopefully, I won't need it.
I hope you and Larissa (I hope I have spelt that right) are well. I miss our chats on the way to Grimsby Town station.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Grimal
December 10, 2023, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerRob

Hi Al, the motorhome had to be sold as my wife was unable to get into due to mobility issues. Thank you for your offer of a bed for the night. Hopefully, I won't need it.
I hope you and Larissa (I hope I have spelt that right) are well. I miss our chats on the way to Grimsby Town station.

Sorry to hear that Robin. Yes I miss our chats too, didn't renew my season ticket this season due to health problems.Keep up your excellent support for the Mariners mate and perhaps cross paths at some point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
FishOutOfWater
December 12, 2023, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
A big well done from me for your dedication

I used to travel up from MK and that was sometimes a challenging journey (especially at this time of year) but I've never had such an epic trip as yours

Pleased that your long distance support was rewarded with a victory and hope the next trip to BP goes a bit more smoothly

UTM ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 30
devs
December 12, 2023, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,985
Gold Stars: 30
Fantastic effort MarinerRob
Every reason I love GTFC - its fantastic and loyal fan base
Bollox to armchair PL fans with "we did this and we did that"

We have an awful lot of 'lows' but it makes the 'highs' even sweeter... like Saturday's great result and really encouraging performance
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Mayaman
December 12, 2023, 2:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
The bit about you being 'odd' tickled me.  You inspired me though MarinerRob.  Well, I won't be making a round trip from Ho Chi Minh City to the Newport game but It made me forget about all the apathy that surrounds me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 4:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
I have had a few epic Journeys in my time, like time it started snowing as I boarded a train from Bradford to get home for the weekend to watch town. It took fifteen hours, most of which were in the dark with no heating waiting for the snow plough to turn up.

I think the most epic wasted journey though was my mate who is a Leicester City fan. He was living in Israel when they got to the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park in 1982. Arriving in the UK he went on a massive bender before the game, got arrested, spent the night in the cells, and missed the game. Which they lost. Then traveled all the way back to Israel the next day.

I've never quite managed to compete with that.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
Mappers
December 12, 2023, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Great effort , I do similiar .

Sure there is a family that do every home game from Plymouth ?

The worst trek I ever did was Plymouth on the supporters coach Ron ,2-2 with Boulding up top some serious road problems and the height of summer from Town was not much fun but the game was not bad tbf .

That Bradford one sounds a nightmare though jesus wept .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 10:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

The worst trek I ever did was Plymouth on the supporters coach Ron ,2-2 with Boulding up top some serious road problems and the height of summer from Town was not much fun but the game was not bad tbf .

Yes, I set off around 4 pm on Friday, due to arrive at 7.15 pm ish. It was actually 7.30 am the next morning when we pulled in to Cleethorpes. For the worst sections the snow plough could only clear a few hundred yards of track at a time before stopping. I grabbed a few hours sleep but I think the game was postponed. Oh well.

The things we do for Town. It's worth it though. Wouldn't change being a Town supporter for the world. Town have given me some of the greatest moments of my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
MarinerRob
December 12, 2023, 10:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
I have had a few epic Journeys in my time, like time it started snowing as I boarded a train from Bradford to get home for the weekend to watch town. It took fifteen hours, most of which were in the dark with no heating waiting for the snow plough to turn up.

I think the most epic wasted journey though was my mate who is a Leicester City fan. He was living in Israel when they got to the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park in 1982. Arriving in the UK he went on a massive bender before the game, got arrested, spent the night in the cells, and missed the game. Which they lost. Then traveled all the way back to Israel the next day.

I've never quite managed to compete with that.    

That sounds even worse than my trip. At least I knew where the train was and had lighting, heating and wifi. And a buffet selling coffee.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 10:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MarinerRob

That sounds even worse than my trip. At least I knew where the train was and had lighting, heating and wifi. And a buffet selling coffee.

Bloody luxury. We didn't even have water!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
PrestwichMariner
December 13, 2023, 3:47pm
Exile
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
I travelled down to London from Manchester for the West Ham cup game in 95 and only found out it was off when I got to the ground! Still went back again for the rearranged tie and saw a great performance in earning the draw. Couldn't make it over to Grimsby for the reply as got made redundant the first day back in work after the midweek game!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Les Brechin
December 13, 2023, 3:54pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
I travelled down to London from Manchester for the West Ham cup game in 95 and only found out it was off when I got to the ground! Still went back again for the rearranged tie and saw a great performance in earning the draw. Couldn't make it over to Grimsby for the reply as got made redundant the first day back in work after the midweek game!

The evening of the Laws-Bonetti "handshake"  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
penrith mariner
December 13, 2023, 6:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +181
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mappers

You are correct. Four of us are season ticket holders and travel from Plymouth most weeks (340 miles each way)
We normally travel up after school time on a Friday, stay overnight then make the return journey straight after the match, so Saturday morning postponements are a nightmare for us.
One of our worst journeys was earlier this season. Three hours of delays driving up on the Friday, eventually arriving after midnight. Watched us get beat by Crawley after being 2-0 up, then got a puncture half way home, eventually arriving back in Plymouth 03.30 on the Sunday morning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
MarinerRob
December 13, 2023, 8:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from penrith mariner

You are correct. Four of us are season ticket holders and travel from Plymouth most weeks (340 miles each way)
We normally travel up after school time on a Friday, stay overnight then make the return journey straight after the match, so Saturday morning postponements are a nightmare for us.
One of our worst journeys was earlier this season. Three hours of delays driving up on the Friday, eventually arriving after midnight. Watched us get beat by Crawley after being 2-0 up, then got a puncture half way home, eventually arriving back in Plymouth 03.30 on the Sunday morning

I thought I was mad - but you take the biscuit!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.