Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Was it worth it?

This thread currently has 4,114 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 3:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Was it worth it?

Yesterday I left home at 7.00 to travel to Blundell Park from near Woking in Surrey, a round trip of about 440 miles. I have a season ticket for the past seven years. I got to the first station and my first train (out of five) and found the fast train to London was cancelled and had to use the slow stopping train instead. Still managed to get to Kings Cross for my train to Doncaster.

Just before Doncaster I saw that there would be a pitch inspection at 11.00. I never gave a thought to the match being called off. I knew it would be cold and rainy. I was then told another pitch inspection at 12.00 so got on the train to Cleethorpes. At least I can have my fish and chips. Whilst eating my meal I saw that the game was on but then found that the 17.24 train back to Doncaster was cancelled (grrr)

I got the 18.24 train back to Doncaster and got on the London train which did not move. We were then told there was a problem but they were not sure what it was. After about 20 minutes they asked all the passengers going to Grantham to get off and they put them in taxis.

We were them told there was a problem with  the power lines and they got another train to Doncaster which could use a different route. This went through Lincoln, Sleaford and then across country to Peterborough. However, it was quite a wait before it left Doncaster. It then stopped a bit further down the line due to signalling issues. Then gone going and then stopped due a freight train. Got to Kings Cross at 12.30 Sunday morning.  All trains back to Surrey would have gone by the time I got across London to Waterloo.

I asked the train staff how I am expected to get home and they said they will arrange taxis, So about 80 odd (odd being the right word in connection with me) people were sorted into order of where they were going. Some were even going down to Cornwall !!

It was probably about 1.30 when a man and myself got put into a taxi. We had to drop him off first which added about 20 minutes to the trip. I finally got to my car about 2.30.

When I go home and after having a bath and a sit down (not unlike what I have been doing for the last 7 hours) got to be at 3.30. 12 and half hours after the game started and eleven hours after it finished.

Was it worth it? Well my previous game was home to Accrington and in the second half I sat there wondering what the hell am I doing. However, the difference David Artell has brought to the team is amazing. In his first game at Milton Keynes in charge the difference was really refreshing. Taking the game to the opposition and playing confidently and making chances. And yesterday was the same. Really entertaining as well. So the answer is definitely YES - but I hope I don't have the same problems again when I visit Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
rancido
December 10, 2023, 3:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
You are a real Grimbarian. Credit to you mate.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
December 10, 2023, 4:08pm
Guest User
Dedication in its truest form.
Reply: 2 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 10, 2023, 4:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Deserve some sort of award for that dedication and made me feel guilty about the long trip from Lincoln for home matches!!!

Well done sir unbelievable what fans will endure for a game of football especially one available for a tenner on tv!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Azimuth
December 10, 2023, 4:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from MarinerRob
Was it worth it?

Yesterday I left home at 7.00 to travel to Blundell Park from near Woking in Surrey, a round trip of about 440 miles. I have a season ticket for the past seven years. I got to the first station and my first train (out of five) and found the fast train to London was cancelled and had to use the slow stopping train instead. Still managed to get to Kings Cross for my train to Doncaster.

Just before Doncaster I saw that there would be a pitch inspection at 11.00. I never gave a thought to the match being called off. I knew it would be cold and rainy. I was then told another pitch inspection at 12.00 so got on the train to Cleethorpes. At least I can have my fish and chips. Whilst eating my meal I saw that the game was on but then found that the 17.24 train back to Doncaster was cancelled (grrr)

I got the 18.24 train back to Doncaster and got on the London train which did not move. We were then told there was a problem but they were not sure what it was. After about 20 minutes they asked all the passengers going to Grantham to get off and they put them in taxis.

We were them told there was a problem with  the power lines and they got another train to Doncaster which could use a different route. This went through Lincoln, Sleaford and then across country to Peterborough. However, it was quite a wait before it left Doncaster. It then stopped a bit further down the line due to signalling issues. Then gone going and then stopped due a freight train. Got to Kings Cross at 12.30 Sunday morning.  All trains back to Surrey would have gone by the time I got across London to Waterloo.

I asked the train staff how I am expected to get home and they said they will arrange taxis, So about 80 odd (odd being the right word in connection with me) people were sorted into order of where they were going. Some were even going down to Cornwall !!

It was probably about 1.30 when a man and myself got put into a taxi. We had to drop him off first which added about 20 minutes to the trip. I finally got to my car about 2.30.

When I go home and after having a bath and a sit down (not unlike what I have been doing for the last 7 hours) got to be at 3.30. 12 and half hours after the game started and eleven hours after it finished.

Was it worth it? Well my previous game was home to Accrington and in the second half I sat there wondering what the hell am I doing. However, the difference David Artell has brought to the team is amazing. In his first game at Milton Keynes in charge the difference was really refreshing. Taking the game to the opposition and playing confidently and making chances. And yesterday was the same. Really entertaining as well. So the answer is definitely YES - but I hope I don't have the same problems again when I visit Blundell Park.

Well done sir!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 4:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Well done sir unbelievable what fans will endure for a game of football especially one available for a tenner on tv!

I do travel to Denmark (that what I lead them to believe) The marvels of modern technology (and a VPN).
And  I can see all Grimsby matches online but you can not beat being at the game. There is so much more to enjoy and immerse yourself into the game.
I also can see the ships going by on a bad day. Hopefully, I won't be doing that in the future.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
StacyColdicotts_hairline
December 10, 2023, 4:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Full credit to you and your dedication.

The Amount of living room windows I walk past on match day (no more than a few hundred yards from the ground) which are illuminated by ifollow always surprises me 🤣
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
NG16 Mariner
December 10, 2023, 5:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +22
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerRob
Was it worth it?

If its of any benefit, if trains to Nottingham or Derby are easier and more reliable then as I live midway between them and I'm also a season ticket holder at BP then am happy to help.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
MarinerRob
December 10, 2023, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from NG16 Mariner

If its of any benefit, if trains to Nottingham or Derby are easier and more reliable then as I live midway between them and I'm also a season ticket holder at BP then am happy to help.

Thank you for that. Normally things are not too bad but the strikes have not helped and the damage with the overhead power lines, hopefully, won't be an ongoing situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
IlkleyMariner
December 10, 2023, 5:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I’m not sure what the difference between commitment and lunacy is, but when it comes to following a football club it’s half expected.

Mariner Rob should be congratulated for his efforts this weekend. Rob are you from Grimsby originally or perhaps from one of the outlying towns or villages?

I’ve followed Town to the four corners of England, Carlisle, Newcastle, Gillingham and Devon. But never had to experience such a journey as Rob..Well done. Hope your next trip is much easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.