Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Was it worth it?

This thread currently has 4,117 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
devs
December 12, 2023, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Fantastic effort MarinerRob
Every reason I love GTFC - its fantastic and loyal fan base
Bollox to armchair PL fans with "we did this and we did that"

We have an awful lot of 'lows' but it makes the 'highs' even sweeter... like Saturday's great result and really encouraging performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Mayaman
December 12, 2023, 2:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
The bit about you being 'odd' tickled me.  You inspired me though MarinerRob.  Well, I won't be making a round trip from Ho Chi Minh City to the Newport game but It made me forget about all the apathy that surrounds me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 4:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
I have had a few epic Journeys in my time, like time it started snowing as I boarded a train from Bradford to get home for the weekend to watch town. It took fifteen hours, most of which were in the dark with no heating waiting for the snow plough to turn up.

I think the most epic wasted journey though was my mate who is a Leicester City fan. He was living in Israel when they got to the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park in 1982. Arriving in the UK he went on a massive bender before the game, got arrested, spent the night in the cells, and missed the game. Which they lost. Then traveled all the way back to Israel the next day.

I've never quite managed to compete with that.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
Mappers
December 12, 2023, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Great effort , I do similiar .

Sure there is a family that do every home game from Plymouth ?

The worst trek I ever did was Plymouth on the supporters coach Ron ,2-2 with Boulding up top some serious road problems and the height of summer from Town was not much fun but the game was not bad tbf .

That Bradford one sounds a nightmare though jesus wept .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 10:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

The worst trek I ever did was Plymouth on the supporters coach Ron ,2-2 with Boulding up top some serious road problems and the height of summer from Town was not much fun but the game was not bad tbf .

Yes, I set off around 4 pm on Friday, due to arrive at 7.15 pm ish. It was actually 7.30 am the next morning when we pulled in to Cleethorpes. For the worst sections the snow plough could only clear a few hundred yards of track at a time before stopping. I grabbed a few hours sleep but I think the game was postponed. Oh well.

The things we do for Town. It's worth it though. Wouldn't change being a Town supporter for the world. Town have given me some of the greatest moments of my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
MarinerRob
December 12, 2023, 10:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from RonMariner
I have had a few epic Journeys in my time, like time it started snowing as I boarded a train from Bradford to get home for the weekend to watch town. It took fifteen hours, most of which were in the dark with no heating waiting for the snow plough to turn up.

I think the most epic wasted journey though was my mate who is a Leicester City fan. He was living in Israel when they got to the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park in 1982. Arriving in the UK he went on a massive bender before the game, got arrested, spent the night in the cells, and missed the game. Which they lost. Then traveled all the way back to Israel the next day.

I've never quite managed to compete with that.    

That sounds even worse than my trip. At least I knew where the train was and had lighting, heating and wifi. And a buffet selling coffee.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 10:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MarinerRob

That sounds even worse than my trip. At least I knew where the train was and had lighting, heating and wifi. And a buffet selling coffee.

Bloody luxury. We didn't even have water!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
PrestwichMariner
December 13, 2023, 3:47pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
I travelled down to London from Manchester for the West Ham cup game in 95 and only found out it was off when I got to the ground! Still went back again for the rearranged tie and saw a great performance in earning the draw. Couldn't make it over to Grimsby for the reply as got made redundant the first day back in work after the midweek game!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Les Brechin
December 13, 2023, 3:54pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
I travelled down to London from Manchester for the West Ham cup game in 95 and only found out it was off when I got to the ground! Still went back again for the rearranged tie and saw a great performance in earning the draw. Couldn't make it over to Grimsby for the reply as got made redundant the first day back in work after the midweek game!

The evening of the Laws-Bonetti "handshake"  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
penrith mariner
December 13, 2023, 6:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +181
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mappers

You are correct. Four of us are season ticket holders and travel from Plymouth most weeks (340 miles each way)
We normally travel up after school time on a Friday, stay overnight then make the return journey straight after the match, so Saturday morning postponements are a nightmare for us.
One of our worst journeys was earlier this season. Three hours of delays driving up on the Friday, eventually arriving after midnight. Watched us get beat by Crawley after being 2-0 up, then got a puncture half way home, eventually arriving back in Plymouth 03.30 on the Sunday morning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Was it worth it?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.