Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Latest VAR Farce

This thread currently has 1,982 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
December 6, 2023, 8:29pm
Guest User
Man Utd V Chelsea

Not a fan of either team but as a football fan VAR is killing the game.  Penalty given for inadvertently standing on somebody's foot long after the ball is played so in no way did the foot clash change the play.

Something needs to change.

ska face
December 6, 2023, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
No going back now, too late I’m afraid. Whole thing’s fųcked, best to just accept it.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Gaffer58
December 6, 2023, 8:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But VAR only highlighted something the ref missed, then VAR pointed it out for him to have another look, so VAR did it’s job but did the ref get it correct first or second time?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
December 6, 2023, 8:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from Gaffer58
But VAR only highlighted something the ref missed, then VAR pointed it out for him to have another look, so VAR did it’s job but did the ref get it correct first or second time?

Good point.
Would love to have seen the on field referee say no penalty.
Reply: 3 - 30
Grantham_Mariner
December 6, 2023, 9:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Has a referee EVER stuck with his origional decision after looking at the screen?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Heisenberg
December 6, 2023, 9:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 141269
Man Utd V Chelsea

Not a fan of either team but as a football fan VAR is killing the game.  Penalty given for inadvertently standing on somebody's foot long after the ball is played so in no way did the foot clash change the play.

Something needs to change.

It was a penalty. Lucky he didn’t break his metatarsal.

I’m no fan of VAR, but there it was justified.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
December 6, 2023, 9:40pm
Guest User
I can see why it was given, only because you become normalised to these things being given.

I just don't see it as a penalty. The Chelsea player is planting his foot in a natural way just as Antony puts his foot down underneath.
It's not deliberate, reckless or endangering the opponent.  Must every accidental contact now be a foul?
Reply: 6 - 30
blundellpork
December 6, 2023, 9:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
There’s just been a VAR delay to check a McTominay goal. It really does suck all the joy and spontaneity out of watching football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Heisenberg
December 6, 2023, 9:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 141269
I can see why it was given, only because you become normalised to these things being given.

I just don't see it as a penalty. The Chelsea player is planting his foot in a natural way just as Antony puts his foot down underneath.
It's not deliberate, reckless or endangering the opponent.  Must every accidental contact now be a foul?

I hate the term ‘deliberate’ being used. Who deliberately hurts an opponent, other than a scumbag? Who deliberately fouls someone or handballs in the box? Nobody. Nobody in their right mind would do that. A foul is a foul, whether you mean it or not.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
December 6, 2023, 9:58pm
Guest User
Roy Keane
Luis Suarez

It's not so much about deliberately hurting an opponent, it's about deliberately fouling them.  

There's also the question of intent.  We've seen players lose their head when they feel aggrieved and subsequently dive into a challenge with little regard to the consequences.  They need punishing.

Accidentally treading on a foot that a millisecond earlier is placed directly underneath where you are about to put your foot down is not a foul surely.
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Latest VAR Farce

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.