Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Latest VAR Farce

This thread currently has 1,983 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
December 6, 2023, 8:29pm
Guest User
Man Utd V Chelsea

Not a fan of either team but as a football fan VAR is killing the game.  Penalty given for inadvertently standing on somebody's foot long after the ball is played so in no way did the foot clash change the play.

Something needs to change.

ska face
December 6, 2023, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
No going back now, too late I’m afraid. Whole thing’s fųcked, best to just accept it.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Gaffer58
December 6, 2023, 8:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But VAR only highlighted something the ref missed, then VAR pointed it out for him to have another look, so VAR did it’s job but did the ref get it correct first or second time?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
December 6, 2023, 8:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from Gaffer58
But VAR only highlighted something the ref missed, then VAR pointed it out for him to have another look, so VAR did it’s job but did the ref get it correct first or second time?

Good point.
Would love to have seen the on field referee say no penalty.
Reply: 3 - 30
Grantham_Mariner
December 6, 2023, 9:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,189
Gold Stars: 51
Has a referee EVER stuck with his origional decision after looking at the screen?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Heisenberg
December 6, 2023, 9:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 141269
Man Utd V Chelsea

Not a fan of either team but as a football fan VAR is killing the game.  Penalty given for inadvertently standing on somebody's foot long after the ball is played so in no way did the foot clash change the play.

It was a penalty. Lucky he didn’t break his metatarsal.

I’m no fan of VAR, but there it was justified.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
December 6, 2023, 9:40pm
Guest User
I can see why it was given, only because you become normalised to these things being given.

I just don't see it as a penalty. The Chelsea player is planting his foot in a natural way just as Antony puts his foot down underneath.
It's not deliberate, reckless or endangering the opponent.  Must every accidental contact now be a foul?
Reply: 6 - 30
blundellpork
December 6, 2023, 9:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
There’s just been a VAR delay to check a McTominay goal. It really does suck all the joy and spontaneity out of watching football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Heisenberg
December 6, 2023, 9:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 141269
I can see why it was given, only because you become normalised to these things being given.

I just don't see it as a penalty. The Chelsea player is planting his foot in a natural way just as Antony puts his foot down underneath.
It's not deliberate, reckless or endangering the opponent.  Must every accidental contact now be a foul?

I hate the term ‘deliberate’ being used. Who deliberately hurts an opponent, other than a scumbag? Who deliberately fouls someone or handballs in the box? Nobody. Nobody in their right mind would do that. A foul is a foul, whether you mean it or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
December 6, 2023, 9:58pm
Guest User
Roy Keane
Luis Suarez

It's not so much about deliberately hurting an opponent, it's about deliberately fouling them.  

There's also the question of intent.  We've seen players lose their head when they feel aggrieved and subsequently dive into a challenge with little regard to the consequences.  They need punishing.

Accidentally treading on a foot that a millisecond earlier is placed directly underneath where you are about to put your foot down is not a foul surely.
Reply: 9 - 30
Heisenberg
December 6, 2023, 10:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 141269
Roy Keane
Luis Suarez

It's not so much about deliberately hurting an opponent, it's about deliberately fouling them.  

There's also the question of intent.  We've seen players lose their head when they feel aggrieved and subsequently dive into a challenge with little regard to the consequences.  They need punishing.

Accidentally treading on a foot that a millisecond earlier is placed directly underneath where you are about to put your foot down is not a foul surely.

I respect your argument, but if you’re late, the term is “reckless”.  If you’re late, you should be punished, whether you’ve been lazy or you’re slower than your opponent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2023, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from blundellpork
There’s just been a VAR delay to check a McTominay goal. It really does suck all the joy and spontaneity out of watching football

That’s why I struggle to watch the Prem. And wasn’t the criterion supposed to be “clear and obvious error”?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Poojah
December 6, 2023, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500
In other news Man City get an absolute skull fúcking from Aston Villa. The most one-sided 1-0 I’ve seen in a long time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
jimgtfc
December 6, 2023, 10:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
I don’t like VAR, but that’s a penalty. It’s only because  Anthony has relinquished control of the ball that some don’t think it’s a foul, but that’s irrelevant. Of all the arguments to be made against VAR recently, that’s not the one.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
BraStrap
December 6, 2023, 10:26pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Too many people forget all the many good VAR decisions and highlight just the bad ones. It's a work in progress but is an improvement on the old system of relying on humans. It will be the same when we get driverless cars, everyone will complain about the handful of deaths caused by the cars and forget that humans used to kill one million of one another every year. Classic case of confirmation bias.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
supertown
December 6, 2023, 11:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from jimgtfc
I don’t like VAR, but that’s a penalty. It’s only because  Anthony has relinquished control of the ball that some don’t think it’s a foul, but that’s irrelevant. Of all the arguments to be made against VAR recently, that’s not the one.

It’s not a penalty, there is an argument. The opinion of the VAR has given that . If it was you , you would give it . If it was me I wouldn’t .
The ref going to the monitor is an absolute joke , the VAR rules football (that has it) now and it’s garbage . Not one single monitor visit had been overruled. What’s the point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
RichMariner
December 6, 2023, 11:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
But we're still relying on humans.

The only difference now is that humans have tech to help them analyse moments, but we can still mess it up by not using the tech properly, or just not thinking clearly under pressure.

I think the biggest shift in the whole VAR debate is to re-educate everyone — players, managers, pundits, media, fans — that it's there to simply eradicate the absolute howlers.

That's it.

Contentious decisions will remain. Referees may one week call every soft challenge a penalty, then the next week be more lenient and wave them away.

I think people get wound up because they expect correct decisions to be made 100% of the time. It's fine to aim for that, but it's never going to be the case.

Football ebbs and flows. There's a lot of interpretation involved in every 'coming together'.

Personally, if the ref didn't give the penalty at the time and VAR are 100% certain it is a penalty then fair play, make that call. If they're not 100% certain then leave the decision with the on-field ref.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Maringer
December 6, 2023, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,527
Gold Stars: 185
If you stand on somebody's foot, it's a foul. Intent doesn't come into it since the laws were rewritten back in the late 90s, so it's a penalty.

Not controversial at all, in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
December 7, 2023, 5:52am
Guest User
Perhaps a Windscale => Sellafield type renaming would help?

Maybe SARS (Stupidly Absurd Review System)?

Fortunately this football virus only infects the "Premiership".

VAR sucks.
Reply: 18 - 30
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 7, 2023, 8:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from 137
Perhaps a Windscale => Sellafield type renaming would help?

With the data and nuclear leaks coming from Sellafield at the moment, they might have to re-name it again soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
GrimRob
December 7, 2023, 9:29am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RichMariner
But we're still relying on humans.

The only difference now is that humans have tech to help them analyse moments, but we can still mess it up by not using the tech properly, or just not thinking clearly under pressure.

I think the biggest shift in the whole VAR debate is to re-educate everyone — players, managers, pundits, media, fans — that it's there to simply eradicate the absolute howlers.

That's it.

Contentious decisions will remain. Referees may one week call every soft challenge a penalty, then the next week be more lenient and wave them away.

I think people get wound up because they expect correct decisions to be made 100% of the time. It's fine to aim for that, but it's never going to be the case.

Football ebbs and flows. There's a lot of interpretation involved in every 'coming together'.

Personally, if the ref didn't give the penalty at the time and VAR are 100% certain it is a penalty then fair play, make that call. If they're not 100% certain then leave the decision with the on-field ref.

The problem is the rules of football leave so much to interpretation. The only way to achieve better consistency in the 1% of decisions that VAR are involved with is to hand the whole thing over to AI. A model trained on what is a decision and what is not a decision should be much more consistent than different sets of officials and it would be able to make that decision instantly rather than spend ages pondering over every camera angle as it could "see" every angle in a few milliseconds. Offsides leading to goals would be much easier to try first than penalties as it is so much simpler.

The vast majority of the decisions on the pitch are still made by the referee and assistants though. Maybe one day, like tennis has, every decision can be made by technology, but there's a way to go first!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 30
Brummie Codfather
December 7, 2023, 9:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from BraStrap
Too many people forget all the many good VAR decisions and highlight just the bad ones. It's a work in progress but is an improvement on the old system of relying on humans. It will be the same when we get driverless cars, everyone will complain about the handful of deaths caused by the cars and forget that humans used to kill one million of one another every year. Classic case of confirmation bias.

It absolutely isn’t an upgrade on the old system.  If you look at one metric (correct decisions) it’s an improvement but that doesn’t take into account the knock on effects (impact on celebrations, separation of top level to lower levels, delay to play, lack of visibility in the stadium).  
I want to enjoy football, not stand around a stadium no idea what’s going on waiting to see if someone’s hand is offside.

It’s excrement, implemented because there’s ok much money in football to risk bad decisions and of no benefit to the fan.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
December 7, 2023, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

The problem is the rules of football leave so much to interpretation. The only way to achieve better consistency in the 1% of decisions that VAR are involved with is to hand the whole thing over to AI. A model trained on what is a decision and what is not a decision should be much more consistent than different sets of officials and it would be able to make that decision instantly rather than spend ages pondering over every camera angle as it could "see" every angle in a few milliseconds. Offsides leading to goals would be much easier to try first than penalties as it is so much simpler.

The vast majority of the decisions on the pitch are still made by the referee and assistants though. Maybe one day, like tennis has, every decision can be made by technology, but there's a way to go first!

A tennis match is completely different. 2 players, few rules apart from whether the ball is in or out.

Football will never be run by robots, as it is has rules, but so many of them are open to human interpretation which is as it should be. An elbow in the face can be a red card or an accident. If they stuck to goal line technology and accept that refs just like players make mistakes all would be well. Last week Haaland misses an absolutely open goal and shrugs his shoulders; the ref makes a similarly bad mistake and he turns into a raging monster.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
GrimRob
December 7, 2023, 10:00am

A tennis match is completely different. 2 players, few rules apart from whether the ball is in or out.

Football will never be run by robots, as it is has rules, but so many of them are open to human interpretation which is as it should be. An elbow in the face can be a red card or an accident. If they stuck to goal line technology and accept that refs just like players make mistakes all would be well. Last week Haaland misses an absolutely open goal and shrugs his shoulders; the ref makes a similarly bad mistake and he turns into a raging monster.

Most of the decisions in football are pretty trivial and could easily be made by AI. Throw-ins, Corners even Offsides. We have millions of examples which could be used to train models and I bet there would be far less obviously wrong decisions than now. I suspect the harder decisions are pretty trivial compared to something like driving a car which AI models can already do.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 23 - 30
Bigdog
December 7, 2023, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 141269
Man Utd V Chelsea

Wasn't the worst decision VAR made in the game. Strictly speaking it was a penalty, but only ten minutes or so later, Sterling's foot was stamped on late too. Decision by VAR, no further action for a very similar offence. Although I'm lost for words on many VAR decisions that overrule the referee's original decision, I've been more flabbergasted with many VAR turn a blind eye to. There was an analysis of these a couple of seasons back, and if applied correctly it showed some teams were affected by as much as eight places in the league table. VAR is making as many mistakes by omission as referees that affect results of games. So my question is, what is the point  of all of these delays in emotion? Arguing about refereeing decisions used to be part of the game. That still remains, only with additional arguments about VAR on top. Have there been more correct decisions overall? Probably, yes. Has VAR improved the sport of football? No.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
December 7, 2023, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Most of the decisions in football are pretty trivial and could easily be made by AI. Throw-ins, Corners even Offsides. We have millions of examples which could be used to train models and I bet there would be far less obviously wrong decisions than now. I suspect the harder decisions are pretty trivial compared to something like driving a car which AI models can already do.

You surely don't want the game to be reffed by AI?

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
December 7, 2023, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Brummie Codfather

It absolutely isn’t an upgrade on the old system.  If you look at one metric (correct decisions) it’s an improvement but that doesn’t take into account the knock on effects (impact on celebrations, separation of top level to lower levels, delay to play, lack of visibility in the stadium).  
I want to enjoy football, not stand around a stadium no idea what’s going on waiting to see if someone’s hand is offside.

It’s excrement, implemented because there’s ok much money in football to risk bad decisions and of no benefit to the fan.

I totally agree. The data says better decisions are being made but that simple piece of data is completely out of context for the wider implications of the game, even if it is true and does it take into account what it misses bearing in mind every decision has a knock on effect?

Human beings are what matters; without the imperfections of humans the game would be flawed from the other direction and would turn a lot of people off.

Like a lot of things today VAR is an out of control juggernaut that seems to bypass the people that matter - the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
louth_in_the_south
December 7, 2023, 10:53am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,689
Gold Stars: 96
I’m going to get a lot of ❌ for this but the VAR decisions at Southampton last season took the shine off the result for me . A bit of a hollow victory considering the questionable decisions that went in our favour.
It’s killing the game , but as with everything PL it’s all about things apparently being fair and the £££ that’s at stake .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Southwark Mariner
December 7, 2023, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I guess Sky could provide the funds for the AI ref...They'd want to name it something footbally too though...SKYNET
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
GrimRob
December 7, 2023, 11:13am

You surely don't want the game to be reffed by AI?

Wouldn't mind seeing a trial in a lower league somewhere for a season. If it gets more decisions right than human officials wouldn't it be better? Everyone says ideally you don't notice the referee.

Plenty of people thinking about it, e.g. https://www.independent.co.uk/.....erie-a-b2404962.html

Probably inevitable at some stage. When you look at how much has changed

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 29 - 30
toontown
December 7, 2023, 7:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’m going to get a lot of ❌ for this but the VAR decisions at Southampton last season took the shine off the result for me . A bit of a hollow victory considering the questionable decisions that went in our favour.
It’s killing the game , but as with everything PL it’s all about things apparently being fair and the £££ that’s at stake .

Questionable? The first was a clear handball by the modern rules of the game, his arm was out. The second wasn't VAR anyway the ref gave it for a punch in the back (yeah our striker went down easily but otherwise you don't get the decision for what was a clear and obvious foul). I was more drunk off with smith later in the season for staying on his feet after a keeper did the same to him after a corner, it was a clear foul, but you don't get it unless you go down.

The other VAR decision wasn't contentious at all, their 'second' was offside narrowly but definitely.

Personally I flipping loved it and the fact some premiership millionaire club lost due to VAR which they themselves wanted made it all the sweeter!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Latest VAR Farce

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.