Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (on train)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back (on train)

This thread currently has 7,529 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
December 2, 2023, 7:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Surprised nobody has started this thread yet.

Wasn't a bad performance all in all, just beaten by a better side who were more clinical. Having said that both goals could have easily been avoidable and it could have been very different had we capitalised when we were on top at 1-0 in the second half. They were much faster than us and I didn't really feel comfortable with them running at Glennon and Mullarkey, similarly plenty of times when we broke we couldn't beat them for pace and/or muscle. Their lad (Murphy was it?), who broke for their corner was a constant problem and completely rinsed us for that first goal. Feel like Cartwright could have done better with the parry for that but otherwise he was excellent and probably our MOTM. Felt like Oxford had another gear or two they could have gone into.

Cracking support today, Last Christmas sounded class.

Two tough away matches for Artell to start with but plenty of positives to take from the two games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
December 2, 2023, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,546
Gold Stars: 185
Artell sounded pretty happy in the post-match interview which is worth listening to. Said their goal on the counter was due, in part, to the lack of time to work on set pieces since he arrived!

Gnahoua not injured, just a bit tired and sore so should be available next game, you'd expect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Mariner Timsky
December 2, 2023, 7:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Got Back to Northampton about 6:30 - can’t complain at that and again can’t complain too much with that performance- can defo see improvement already with the ball - just need to work that bit harder without it - but overall plenty of positives - a decent away day - fans were class as always - the Prospect Ale was good and although disappointed not to be in Round 3 - now we can focus on the league and moving up it -
Oh yeh who was that in the BMW with reg X5 UTM that shot past us on the A43 towards Northampton??!!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Son of Cod
December 2, 2023, 7:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Oh yeh who was that in the BMW with reg X5 UTM that shot past us on the A43 towards Northampton??!!

Think it was probably someone trying to keep up with Oxford's number 23?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 2, 2023, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Son of Cod
Surprised nobody has started this thread yet.

Wasn't a bad performance all in all, just beaten by a better side who were more clinical. Having said that both goals could have easily been avoidable and it could have been very different had we capitalised when we were on top at 1-0 in the second half. They were much faster than us and I didn't really feel comfortable with them running at Glennon and Mullarkey, similarly plenty of times when we broke we couldn't beat them for pace and/or muscle. Their lad (Murphy was it?), who broke for their corner was a constant problem and completely rinsed us for that first goal. Feel like Cartwright could have done better with the parry for that but otherwise he was excellent and probably our MOTM. Felt like Oxford had another gear or two they could have gone into.

Cracking support today, Last Christmas sounded class.

Two tough away matches for Artell to start with but plenty of positives to take from the two games.

What was the last Christmas song? The radio oxford commentators loved it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
Son of Cod
December 2, 2023, 7:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

What was the last Christmas song? The radio oxford commentators loved it

Just the chorus to Last Christmas word for word but instead of "I'll give it to someone special" it was "I'll give it to David Artell".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
kevikov
December 2, 2023, 7:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Got Back to Northampton about 6:30 - can’t complain at that and again can’t complain too much with that performance- can defo see improvement already with the ball - just need to work that bit harder without it - but overall plenty of positives - a decent away day - fans were class as always - the Prospect Ale was good and although disappointed not to be in Round 3 - now we can focus on the league and moving up it -

He lives in Louth, pretty sure not a player or ex player.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
The Caterham Mariner
December 2, 2023, 7:59pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Worth being there today !!!!
part of the away  crowd (1497  - We could have 1500 another point) got carried away
With a certain Christmas tune.
But what did it for me when there was a lull a lone town fan
Shouts " More atmosphere  in Asda's!" referring to Oxford's
turnout and stadium King Charles III would have ridiculed architecture and design. The result Ohh well there is always
Next year FA Cup .
Roll on Wimbledon away in Jan 24, looking forward to "That Mariner's" one liners.
Yes I need to get out more at least more "Town "  games
IMO We keep that young goalkeeper  He has alot to give come January.
Love DA starting to make good northern sense.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
barralad
December 2, 2023, 8:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
O.P. sums it up very well.  Glennon and Mullarkey both caught for pace but possibly indicative of the difference in class of the two teams. Cartwright a clear MOM for me with some really excellent saves particular one which he tipped over the bar in the second half.
Best outfield player Conteh who rarely wasted a pass and made some very important tackles.
Not fair to single out individual players so I'll confine my criticism to generally poor distribution into their box, too many balls too close to their keeper, and a corner "routine" that xhould never be tried again.
Town fans were excellent, the Kassam is a soulless monument to modern architecture and both the ref and the lino operating in front of the  town fans need to look at their respective performances in the first half at least.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
Maringer
December 2, 2023, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
In his post-match interview, Artell mentioned something about a red card which should have been, but wasn't given. What happened there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
Lord Gadiform
December 2, 2023, 8:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 5
Always interesting to hear the oppo perspective. Spent the last 3 hours with the barman at my local and four regulars, all Oxford season ticket holders and at the game today. They were shaken first ten minutes. Concerned it felt similar to Cheltenham last week where they lost, except we looked far superior to the Chelts. Totally confused by our league position. I think I’ve sold them Glennon for 275k plus add ons, also given them an option on Cartwright for 975k. Couldn’t agree to terms on Conteh. They thought those three were the standouts. Didn’t mention that Harvey is not ours to sell but seemed like a good deal so I agreed to it.

They liked Last Christmas. Thought it was kind of a twelve days of Christmas thing, starting with the keeper and working forward. Strangely all the names scan. That could be fun.

It's no fish ye're buying: It's men's lives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 2, 2023, 9:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Maringer
In his post-match interview, Artell mentioned something about a red card which should have been, but wasn't given. What happened there?

One of their lads should’ve had a second yellow and was walking a fine line. Even the bbc Oxford commentators said as much and I think he got the hook at half time

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
NorthseaMariner
December 2, 2023, 9:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Rodrigues, pardon the spelling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
headingly_mariner
December 2, 2023, 9:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 116
We needed to and should've scored at least 1. Played some nice stuff and think we might end up being a really good side.

Love seeing Alex Hunt back in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Chrisblor
December 2, 2023, 11:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,857
Gold Stars: 235

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
forza ivano
December 3, 2023, 1:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,206
Gold Stars: 265
O.P. n barra both gave good summings (is that even a word?) up
Both teams tried to play footie , difference is they've been doing it for several years now, with better players, whilst we've only had 5 days with inferior players.
Harvey made some great saves, but think he knew he should be palming the ball away ,rather than putting to the feet of the attacker for their first goal.
Mullarkey was as bad today as he was good Tuesday. Glennon was good again, imho, and i understand the Oxford commentators were impressed. Conteh did really well ,n Clifton looked like something back to his best.
Hunt , did some good stuff, but when he gives the ball away it always seems to lead to danger. I can sort of see why PH never trusted him; just hope Artell can find the right spot/system for him, coz he's the only player we've got (Ainley aside) who has got the creativity we need.
2nd goal looked like poor marking/defending, allowing Bodin a free header.
be interesting to see what Artell does about our defensive side. Glennon seems to have had a new lease of life, Mullarkey blows hot n cold. Rodgers is classy n reads the game well but is prone to the odd bad mistake. I just wonder whether Maher might be the 1 most under threat - just that he's not 1 thing or the other; not rock solid, nor a real ball player, nor particularly quick
Really good support - the Last Xmas song is an excellent addition to our repertoire.
Artell now has a week to school them, and our 3rd game on the trot against a footballing team. Quite a strange start for him in that respect.  Interesting times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
The Caterham Mariner
December 3, 2023, 7:48am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
871 of us at Oxford...Hhmmm you would have thought there was more of us by volume in the fog!!
BP has its faults but no way would i want to go down that road and have a ground like that like the set from "Frozen"
Eg= Colchester & Oxford.
In the cold light of day on a Sunday morning  cuppa tea in hand looking at " Our Dave:" to push us up away from the relegation zone for the rest of the season.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
Maringer
December 3, 2023, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Conteh certainly looked a bit slow to get going for their first goal, but the winger showed what real pace can give you and that's something we're lacking at the moment. Two chances for Wilson, the first a really poor effort hit straight at the keeper, but the second forced a good save. Just a pity he couldn't do better with the first one.

Time to concentrate on the League...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2023, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano
O.P. n barra both gave good summings (is that even a word?) up
Both teams tried to play footie , difference is they've been doing it for several years now, with better players, whilst we've only had 5 days with inferior players.
Harvey made some great saves, but think he knew he should be palming the ball away ,rather than putting to the feet of the attacker for their first goal.
Mullarkey was as bad today as he was good Tuesday. Glennon was good again, imho, and i understand the Oxford commentators were impressed. Conteh did really well ,n Clifton looked like something back to his best.
Hunt , did some good stuff, but when he gives the ball away it always seems to lead to danger. I can sort of see why PH never trusted him; just hope Artell can find the right spot/system for him, coz he's the only player we've got (Ainley aside) who has got the creativity we need.
2nd goal looked like poor marking/defending, allowing Bodin a free header.
be interesting to see what Artell does about our defensive side. Glennon seems to have had a new lease of life, Mullarkey blows hot n cold. Rodgers is classy n reads the game well but is prone to the odd bad mistake. I just wonder whether Maher might be the 1 most under threat - just that he's not 1 thing or the other; not rock solid, nor a real ball player, nor particularly quick
Really good support - the Last Xmas song is an excellent addition to our repertoire.
Artell now has a week to school them, and our 3rd game on the trot against a footballing team. Quite a strange start for him in that respect.  Interesting times

So, do you have Hunt in your team?

Hurst’s last game at Donny, 5 goal attempts, 1 on target. MK, 19 attempts, League 1 Oxford, 13 attempts.

We were creating nothing in the games leading up to Hurst going, we now just need to take some chances, big difference in just a week.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
Chrisblor
December 3, 2023, 11:28am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,857
Gold Stars: 235
Hunt gave the ball away once all match and immediately won it back before anything dangerous happened. He was absolutely one of town's best players yesterday and his passing and movement is a step above that of any other player we have in the squad. Nearly all of our best pieces of play went through him and he's always looking to either beat a man or play a quick pass or through ball. I don't know why this 'he gives the ball away in dangerous positions' narrative has been allowed to build, because having watched pretty much every town game this season he's no worse than any other town midfielder when it comes to looking after the ball and retaining possession, while also offering far more of an attacking impetus than any of the rest of them.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
forza ivano
December 3, 2023, 12:30pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So, do you have Hunt in your team?

Hurst’s last game at Donny, 5 goal attempts, 1 on target. MK, 19 attempts, League 1 Oxford, 13 attempts.

We were creating nothing in the games leading up to Hurst going, we now just need to take some chances, big difference in just a week.

you managed to miss out highlighting the final part of the sentence, so here you are

just hope Artell can find the right spot/system for him, coz he's the only player we've got (Ainley aside) who has got the creativity we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Abdul19
December 3, 2023, 12:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Chrisblor

Surprised Conteh didn't foul their lad on the first, although he must be getting close to 10 and a 2 match ban so possibly why he didn't? Awful corner in the first place.

Looked like some nice stuff played by us.

Great Pacman advert.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2023, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

you managed to miss out highlighting the final part of the sentence, so here you are

just hope Artell can find the right spot/system for him, coz he's the only player we've got (Ainley aside) who has got the creativity we need.

You play him in what is apparently known as the number 10 role, ie the most attacking of the midfield.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
Poojah
December 3, 2023, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hunt gave the ball away once all match and immediately won it back before anything dangerous happened. He was absolutely one of town's best players yesterday and his passing and movement is a step above that of any other player we have in the squad. Nearly all of our best pieces of play went through him and he's always looking to either beat a man or play a quick pass or through ball. I don't know why this 'he gives the ball away in dangerous positions' narrative has been allowed to build, because having watched pretty much every town game this season he's no worse than any other town midfielder when it comes to looking after the ball and retaining possession, while also offering far more of an attacking impetus than any of the rest of them.

It's surely no coincidence that Hunt suddenly looks a different player in a side where his team mates are seemingly prepared to move into areas of space. A good pass is not merely about technical execution; the player receiving the ball has a substantial role to play in its ultimate degree of success.

I think there's also the compound effect that being part of a team that is actively playing to his own strengths has seen his confidence come surging back. Long may it continue. In terms of playing style, he's the closest thing I can remember to Wayne Burnett since Wayne Burnett*, and what an enjoyable player he was to watch in his pomp (again, in a team that was all about off the ball movement).

* Curtis Woodhouse may have something to say about this

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
chaos33
December 3, 2023, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Conteh has 7 yellows

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2023, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Post match interview

Tweet 1731013348349682042 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Heisenberg
December 4, 2023, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Post match interview

The youth of today don’t really know the word “yes”, as they insist on saying “100%” instead! A pet hate of mine, although I’ll forgive Alex for this abomination.

Give it a few years and “no” will become “zero percent” in the common lexicon, unfortunately. This WILL become a thing, I’m sure of it. 100% sure, in fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Poojah
December 4, 2023, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

The youth of today don’t really know the word “yes”, as they insist on saying “100%” instead! A pet hate of mine, although I’ll forgive Alex for this abomination.

Give it a few years and “no” will become “zero percent” in the common lexicon, unfortunately. This WILL become a thing, I’m sure of it. 100% sure, in fact.

You’re right, it’s crept in, but I find its general use in modern parlance is as a strong, enthusiastic affirmative, as in “yes, very much so”.

“John, did you send that report to Bob?”, requires a simple “yes”. Whereas…

“John, are you still coming for that pint after work?, a “100%”, works just fine for me.

Languages evolve, hence why we don’t all speak like this anymore:

At least the most contentious thing about Alex Hunt at the minute is his choice of vocabulary. Suggests he’s doing something right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
arryarryarry
December 4, 2023, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Post match interview

I didn't recognise the interviewers voice but he need to get himself a microphone.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Abdul19
December 4, 2023, 3:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Heisenberg

Is that better or worse than Harry Kane saying "yeah, no, yeah..."? Undecided, personally.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
TownSNAFU5
December 4, 2023, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
My dad (a big Town fan) used to say “correct” instead of “yes” and he was aged 95 at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2023, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The take out line has to be “thanks to Shaun and Benj for bringing me back into the fold “ . Suggests that he was a long way off the starting XI prior to that.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 4, 2023, 4:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Heisenberg

Ah the irony of a person bemoaning one aspect of yoof speak and then going on to say 'this WILL become a thing'.

Becoming 'a thing' is probably the most Millennial, US media derived term that has crept into regular use in the English language. Cleethorpes via California.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Gaffer58
December 4, 2023, 4:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Don’t worry about how language is going because we’re all “ on a journey” with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Abdul19
December 4, 2023, 5:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
If you need any help on your journey, don't hesitate to reach out.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Poojah
December 4, 2023, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
If you need any help on your journey, don't hesitate to reach out.

I’ve been putting “reach around” in all my emails. Have I been doing it wrong?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
chaos33
December 4, 2023, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You ain’t got no rizz bruv. That’s your beef.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Poojah
December 4, 2023, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
You ain’t got no rizz bruv. That’s your beef.

Genuinely hadn’t heard that one until this morning. I am officially no longer down with the kids.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
TownSNAFU5
December 4, 2023, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Going back to Hunt.  He had a lot of talent than has not been used.  Hoddle and Le Tessier had similar issues playing for England.

Shef Wed brought him on as a sub against Man City in an FAC quarterfinal (2020).  He was assessed as Wed’s best player

He has the quality and just needs a manager to believe in him/
Good enough to play against Man City but not Div 2 teams 3 years later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
chaos33
December 4, 2023, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Genuinely hadn’t heard that one until this morning. I am officially no longer down with the kids.

Yeah, it was a real ‘beige flag’ moment for me too 😉

I’m old. I’m trying to hang on to all this cobblers. 😐

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
forza ivano
December 4, 2023, 7:03pm

Exile
Is 'innit' an official word yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Heisenberg
December 4, 2023, 7:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from forza ivano
Is 'innit' an official word yet?

We need Wayne back, he could tell us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
ska face
December 4, 2023, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Going back to Hunt.  He had a lot of talent than has not been used.  Hoddle and Le Tessier had similar issues playing for England.

Shef Wed brought him on as a sub against Man City in an FAC quarterfinal (2020).  He was assessed as Wed’s best player

He has the quality and just needs a manager to believe in him/
Good enough to play against Man City but not Div 2 teams 3 years later.

The best way I could describe Hunt’s style is that he plays in 3D, whereas Hurst built a team operating only in two dimensions.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
ginnywings
December 4, 2023, 8:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
I think that it didn't go unnoticed by the owners that having chased Hunt and given him a 3 year deal, PH then chose not to play him, even suggesting in one interview that he was too quick thinking for the players around him, to his detriment.

I think it's things like the Hunt situation that made up the minds of the owners to bring in someone who will get the best out of a player like Hunt, and he will definitely get more game time now.

It wasn't just the results that did for PH, rather the style of play, or lack of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
moosey_club
December 4, 2023, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings
I think that it didn't go unnoticed by the owners that having chased Hunt and given him a 3 year deal, PH then chose not to play him, even suggesting in one interview that he was too quick thinking for the players around him, to his detriment.

I think it's things like the Hunt situation that made up the minds of the owners to bring in someone who will get the best out of a player like Hunt, and he will definitely get more game time now.

It wasn't just the results that did for PH, rather the style of play, or lack of it.

In the case of Hurst I think you will find...it was data, in the boardroom, by 21st Group.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back (on train)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.