3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
mimma
November 28, 2023, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
The latest from the lawmakers is that they are going to trial sin bin system for football.  
Personally I don't think it would work. If a player is sin binned for 10 minutes, his team will try to waste as much as that time as possible resulting in the game being slowed down. Also will goalkeepers also be sin binned? The reason it works in other sports is because they have a clock that stops when the game stops, so the full 10 minute penalty is served. There is no system in football so it will be left to the officials to police, and we all know how that will pan out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
November 28, 2023, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,970
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mimma
The latest from the lawmakers is that they are going to trial sin bin system for football.  
Personally I don't think it would work. If a player is sin binned for 10 minutes, his team will try to waste as much as that time as possible resulting in the game being slowed down. Also will goalkeepers also be sin binned? The reason it works in other sports is because they have a clock that stops when the game stops, so the full 10 minute penalty is served. There is no system in football so it will be left to the officials to police, and we all know how that will pan out.

It's already in place at Counties level (Step 9) and the Women's National League (Step 4). It's only for dissent, and keepers can get it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Les Brechin
November 28, 2023, 6:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's already in place at Counties level (Step 9) and the Women's National League (Step 4). It's only for dissent, and keepers can get it.

that'll be fun!!!

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
mimma
November 28, 2023, 6:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Why can't the ref just dish out cards for dissent. When the card count mounts up it will soon stop. All that is needed is refs to grow a pair. It's just another gimmic from the Lawyers and accountants that run the game instead of sorting the problem out by carding players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Heisenberg
November 28, 2023, 7:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,072
Gold Stars: 93
Trailed behind what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Spidey
November 28, 2023, 7:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Who's gonna trail it? Are they heavy?
Sorry😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
November 28, 2023, 7:39pm
Guest User
For me just give out yellow cards.

And keep it up, none of this 2 or 3 weeks new law and then revert to type.

Seen any yellow cards for wasting time on throw ins, free kicks or goal kicks lately?
It's died off along with punishing the dugout if more than 1 person in technical area.
Reply: 6 - 22
lukeo
November 28, 2023, 8:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,375
Gold Stars: 148
It's been in place for the leagues I've played in for several years now. In fairness it's not massively used, I'd say on average every 10th game I've been involved in has a sin bin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
The Yard Dog
November 28, 2023, 10:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin

that'll be fun!!!

Rush goalies
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
moosey_club
November 29, 2023, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
It's been in our local Sunday League for the past 3-4 seasons at least, now.
Some refs love it and use it every week others don't bother at all.
In my experience it isn't that effective as it's been the same familiar players who get the sin bin from week to week anyway as they just can't keep their traps shut.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
Sandford1981
November 30, 2023, 7:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
It’s a horrible idea that will simply kill the ebb and flow of a game further. It will make it even more stop start, fragmented and involve the officials more than is required.
I think it’s totally unnecessary and the cards system we have already can police the game just fine. It’s more tinkering from people who should have more pressing matters to address.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
mimma
November 30, 2023, 7:13am
Brandy Drinker
Agreed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
1mickylyons
November 30, 2023, 7:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Another ridiculous idea by the people who are slowly ruining a great game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
OddShapedBalls
November 30, 2023, 8:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
There will be no consistency applied to it's use, so it'll just be controversial from the start, and as has been mentioned if the officials grew a pair and handed out cards for dissent like the rules already allow for teams would soon back off.

If you look at rugby it's not just sin-bins there's a range of measures the ref has at his disposal to deal with gobby/threatening behaviour from players and club staff (overturning penalties, marching teams back 10, warning captains, cumulative punishment) so why they'd just cherry pick one thing as some kind of silver bullet is beyond me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
rancido
November 30, 2023, 9:01am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
There will be no consistency applied to it's use, so it'll just be controversial from the start, and as has been mentioned if the officials grew a pair and handed out cards for dissent like the rules already allow for teams would soon back off.

If you look at rugby it's not just sin-bins there's a range of measures the ref has at his disposal to deal with gobby/threatening behaviour from players and club staff (overturning penalties, marching teams back 10, warning captains, cumulative punishment) so why they'd just cherry pick one thing as some kind of silver bullet is beyond me.

I see nothing wrong in " cherry picking" laws from other sports and, yes you are right, in RU the ref has many measures at his disposal. The football refs do need to exercise their laws more stringently but I still think a sin bin is a good idea. We all seem to agree that discipline in football has to be better, so surely the consequences of rule breaking will help to " focus minds" before players make rash challenges. I have actually thought for a long time the application of " cumulative punishment" in football would be a good thing, especially where time wasting and " sham injuries" are concerned. It only needs the ref to say to the captain that the next incident of time wasting, whoever commits it ,will result in a yellow and I'm sure you will see less of it. When a player goes down injured and the physio is called on, then the injured player should go off the pitch for 5 mins to be properly assessed. Then you will see injury time wasting reduced immediately. As for injuries ,except for head injuries, play shouldn't be stopped unless the ref decides it is serious enough to stop the game and then the 5 minute off period should be applied. If a player can "run" a knock off without the physio being involved then why should play be stopped?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
GrimPol
November 30, 2023, 9:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from mimma

Just expanding on what you have written, it would be interesting to see how long it would take to play actual 90 mins if the clock was stopped for Throw-ins, Pennos, Frees, Corners, numerous "injuries"
I might have to take two Thermos flasks with coffee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
rancido
November 30, 2023, 9:42am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Just expanding on what you have written, it would be interesting to see how long it would take to play actual 90 mins if the clock was stopped for Throw-ins, Pennos, Frees, Corners, numerous "injuries"

Although this is slightly " tongue in cheek" you can set a time limit for each incident, like a kick in RU. Any incidents of slowing the proceedings down by the opposing side results in an instant yellow card. There are many ways the ref can stop opposing teams from slowing the game down at free- kicks. Players who don't retreat 10 yards immediately or stand over the ball until their team is in place - yellow card and 10 mins "sin bin". I have never understood why refs allow players from the opposing side to handle or move the ball when a free- kick or throw in is given. Stopping that will help speed the game up. Of course it will cause a lot of discord but that will soon pass when the message gets through. All these aspects of " game management" have been allowed to creep into the game and it will take a painful, radical approach to eliminate them and allow the fans and spectators to watch , as close as possible , 90 minutes of football. IMO most football fans are a conservative bunch ( note small 'c' and none political) but something radical needs to be done to get the game back to how the game should be played in the true " spirit if the game" without all this professional gamesmanship that has been allowed to insidiously creep into the game and spoil it as a sporting spectacle.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
MarinerWY
November 30, 2023, 9:52am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from GrimPol

In the Premier League, the average time a ball is actually in play is 55 minutes.  Which is 61% of 90 minutes

So you'd have to play an additional 39% to reach 90mins of ball in play, which is 35 mins

So if my maths is correct (and just a disclaimer it may well not be!), it would take 125mins of actual time to play 90 mins of the ball being in play.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
GrimPol
November 30, 2023, 10:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MarinerWY

In the Premier League, the average time a ball is actually in play is 55 minutes.  Which is 61% of 90 minutes

So you'd have to play an additional 39% to reach 90mins of ball in play, which is 35 mins

So if my maths is correct (and just a disclaimer it may well not be!), it would take 125mins of actual time to play 90 mins of the ball being in play.

Miss your train back then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
rancido
November 30, 2023, 10:23am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

Surely then it would make more sense to eliminate all the time wasting and have a game that lasts closer to the 90 mins that the ball is in play.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
Sandford1981
November 30, 2023, 10:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Although this is slightly " tongue in cheek" you can set a time limit for each incident, like a kick in RU. Any incidents of slowing the proceedings down by the opposing side results in an instant yellow card. There are many ways the ref can stop opposing teams from slowing the game down at free- kicks. Players who don't retreat 10 yards immediately or stand over the ball until their team is in place - yellow card and 10 mins "sin bin". I have never understood why refs allow players from the opposing side to handle or move the ball when a free- kick or throw in is given. Stopping that will help speed the game up. Of course it will cause a lot of discord but that will soon pass when the message gets through. All these aspects of " game management" have been allowed to creep into the game and it will take a painful, radical approach to eliminate them and allow the fans and spectators to watch , as close as possible , 90 minutes of football. IMO most football fans are a conservative bunch ( note small 'c' and none political) but something radical needs to be done to get the game back to how the game should be played in the true " spirit if the game" without all this professional gamesmanship that has been allowed to insidiously creep into the game and spoil it as a sporting spectacle.

I may well be in the minority here but the more stringent approach from the referees this season has driven better behaviour in my opinion. It’s far from totally eradicated (a sin bin wouldn’t achieve this) and there is still room for improvement obviously but, it is still preferable to a sin bin from my perspective.

Rugby is a stop start game by its nature but football thrives on its flow and at times frenetic pace. VAR is slowly eroding this at the elite level and this would further compound the issue.

Another fear I have is the fact it will kill the game because teams without their full quota will defend with 2 low blocks until they get back to full strength.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
rancido
November 30, 2023, 11:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I may well be in the minority here but the more stringent approach from the referees this season has driven better behaviour in my opinion. It’s far from totally eradicated (a sin bin wouldn’t achieve this) and there is still room for improvement obviously but, it is still preferable to a sin bin from my perspective.

Rugby is a stop start game by its nature but football thrives on its flow and at times frenetic pace. VAR is slowly eroding this at the elite level and this would further compound the issue.

Another fear I have is the fact it will kill the game because teams without their full quota will defend with 2 low blocks until they get back to full strength.

Certainly a stricter, stringent and more consistent approach from refs will certainly improve discipline in the game but IMO it would help if refs had the ultimate deterrent of sin binning to impose their control of the game. Although never admitted I'm sure time wasting and shamateurism is coached into players and this must be eradicated. I know we all laughed at Crocombe's  " cramp" but if it is a tactic used against us, we fans would have been furious.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
Sandford1981
November 30, 2023, 11:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Certainly a stricter, stringent and more consistent approach from refs will certainly improve discipline in the game but IMO it would help if refs had the ultimate deterrent of sin binning to impose their control of the game. Although never admitted I'm sure time wasting and shamateurism is coached into players and this must be eradicated. I know we all laughed at Crocombe's  " cramp" but if it is a tactic used against us, we fans would have been furious.

Yeah I’m with you there actually, I don’t like bellendary including when it’s my own players. I’ve never bought the argument it’s ok when it’s your own team. It isn’t. Not for me anyway and I’m sure I’m in a minority on that one too!

I also agree it’s something that is undoubtedly encouraged  by coaches and managers and on a sky programme some years ago, I  think Gareth Ainsworth admitted as much.

As far as sin bins go though I take your points but for me they won’t work if the ultimate deterrent of getting a red card and a ban won’t. If anything it could get players pushing the edge more because they get to come back on.

I am  sure we’ll see though and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Lets face it if it gets to the stage of trials there’s an appetite for it by the governing powers and they’re unlikely to put the genie back in the bottle irrespective of success as they’ll not want to bruise their egos.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › sin bin to be trailed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.