Sandford1981
November 30, 2023, 10:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from rancido

Although this is slightly " tongue in cheek" you can set a time limit for each incident, like a kick in RU. Any incidents of slowing the proceedings down by the opposing side results in an instant yellow card. There are many ways the ref can stop opposing teams from slowing the game down at free- kicks. Players who don't retreat 10 yards immediately or stand over the ball until their team is in place - yellow card and 10 mins "sin bin". I have never understood why refs allow players from the opposing side to handle or move the ball when a free- kick or throw in is given. Stopping that will help speed the game up. Of course it will cause a lot of discord but that will soon pass when the message gets through. All these aspects of " game management" have been allowed to creep into the game and it will take a painful, radical approach to eliminate them and allow the fans and spectators to watch , as close as possible , 90 minutes of football. IMO most football fans are a conservative bunch ( note small 'c' and none political) but something radical needs to be done to get the game back to how the game should be played in the true " spirit if the game" without all this professional gamesmanship that has been allowed to insidiously creep into the game and spoil it as a sporting spectacle.

I may well be in the minority here but the more stringent approach from the referees this season has driven better behaviour in my opinion. It’s far from totally eradicated (a sin bin wouldn’t achieve this) and there is still room for improvement obviously but, it is still preferable to a sin bin from my perspective.

Rugby is a stop start game by its nature but football thrives on its flow and at times frenetic pace. VAR is slowly eroding this at the elite level and this would further compound the issue.

Another fear I have is the fact it will kill the game because teams without their full quota will defend with 2 low blocks until they get back to full strength.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
rancido
November 30, 2023, 11:27am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Sandford1981

I may well be in the minority here but the more stringent approach from the referees this season has driven better behaviour in my opinion. It’s far from totally eradicated (a sin bin wouldn’t achieve this) and there is still room for improvement obviously but, it is still preferable to a sin bin from my perspective.

Rugby is a stop start game by its nature but football thrives on its flow and at times frenetic pace. VAR is slowly eroding this at the elite level and this would further compound the issue.

Another fear I have is the fact it will kill the game because teams without their full quota will defend with 2 low blocks until they get back to full strength.

Certainly a stricter, stringent and more consistent approach from refs will certainly improve discipline in the game but IMO it would help if refs had the ultimate deterrent of sin binning to impose their control of the game. Although never admitted I'm sure time wasting and shamateurism is coached into players and this must be eradicated. I know we all laughed at Crocombe's  " cramp" but if it is a tactic used against us, we fans would have been furious.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
Sandford1981
November 30, 2023, 11:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from rancido

Certainly a stricter, stringent and more consistent approach from refs will certainly improve discipline in the game but IMO it would help if refs had the ultimate deterrent of sin binning to impose their control of the game. Although never admitted I'm sure time wasting and shamateurism is coached into players and this must be eradicated. I know we all laughed at Crocombe's  " cramp" but if it is a tactic used against us, we fans would have been furious.

Yeah I’m with you there actually, I don’t like bellendary including when it’s my own players. I’ve never bought the argument it’s ok when it’s your own team. It isn’t. Not for me anyway and I’m sure I’m in a minority on that one too!

I also agree it’s something that is undoubtedly encouraged  by coaches and managers and on a sky programme some years ago, I  think Gareth Ainsworth admitted as much.

As far as sin bins go though I take your points but for me they won’t work if the ultimate deterrent of getting a red card and a ban won’t. If anything it could get players pushing the edge more because they get to come back on.

I am  sure we’ll see though and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Lets face it if it gets to the stage of trials there’s an appetite for it by the governing powers and they’re unlikely to put the genie back in the bottle irrespective of success as they’ll not want to bruise their egos.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › sin bin to be trailed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.