GibMariner
November 19, 2023, 4:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from smokey111

I'm not sure that Hurst's rep will have been unduly damaged. If it was Christmas and we were in the bottom 2, then maybe. The decision was made before many of the fans had turned and was handled with a fair degree of mutual respect. I expect him to rock up at a big NL club soon. Whether he can change his spots.......I am not so sure.

Not unless GTFC settle as he will be on garden leave and paid as usual for as long as the contract, or until he takes up alternative employment. As a very minimum he will be better off financially in failure, and we out of pocket.

Think PH blowing smoke up his assistance proverbial in that Swan, Song speaks volumes that something was considered wrong and that it was put to PH at some stage before D-Day. Maybe an act of misguided loyalty going on.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
arryarryarry
November 20, 2023, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GibMariner

Not unless GTFC settle as he will be on garden leave and paid as usual for as long as the contract, or until he takes up alternative employment. As a very minimum he will be better off financially in failure, and we out of pocket.

Think PH blowing smoke up his assistance proverbial in that Swan, Song speaks volumes that something was considered wrong and that it was put to PH at some stage before D-Day. Maybe an act of misguided loyalty going on.

Depends on the agreement between the two parties.

Gardening leave means you are still employed and have to be available to be called back into work and is sometimes used to try to prevent an employee going to a competitor.

Would be a bit barmy for a football club to stop a sacked manager from getting another job. Even if the manager was able to get a position he would still be entitled to being paid for his contractual notice period. That's not to say the two parties coming to some sort of financial agreement.

Any contractual agreement for payment in lieu of notice would make that payment taxable, so there may be another way of making a non taxable payment to the benefit of both parties.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
chaos33
November 20, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Agree. Seems doubtful he would be on gardening leave to me.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
moosey_club
November 20, 2023, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Think the commonly held view is that a sacked manager would receive a percentage  pay off in lieu of remaining contract or possibly paid as normal until future employment is taken.
No idea how accurate that is , don't know any sacked managers personally so can't ask ...but I think the parting words of the board and Hursts response try to paint a nice picture so that all sides look as creditable as possible for both parties sake.
If you are paying a manager until he gets re-employed you want to make him sound as good as possible.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
ska face
November 20, 2023, 6:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,663
Gold Stars: 847
Why the fųck would any board put themselves in a position where they’re just paying an employee they don’t want until they end of their contract, after getting rid of them for unacceptable performance? Especially in the case of Hurst and Doig where they were supposedly on rolling contracts.

You’d have a position where we’d be paying them until the end of time if they decided not to bother getting another job? Who comes up with this shıte?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
TheRealJohnLewis
November 20, 2023, 7:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
That's not how rolling contracts work!
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
sam gy
November 20, 2023, 7:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Were they actually on rolling contracts? Or was that a Fenty thing?

I know they were initially, but if I recall they were given new contracts post promotion or fa cup, not sure if the terms of that were ever made public

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
Captain Sensible
November 20, 2023, 10:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

That’s a great analogy, and the sheer number of points dropped from leading positions this season absolutely backs up the theory.

If there’s a difference now though, it’s that we’re gaining points from losing positions. If I’ve done the maths correctly, we dropped 19 points from losing positions under Hurst this season (not double counting the two times we led at Notts County), and gained literally zero from losing positions (and we gave ourselves no shortage of opportunities in this regard.

For a bloke with over 700 games in management under his belt, this is simply appalling game and man management. Hard to believe that this is the same guy who oversaw almost superhuman levels of mental and physical resilience in the play-offs not much less than 18 months ago.

It does all sadly rather point to something having been seriously off behind the scenes. Hurst’s rep will take some time to recover from this one.

We were losing at home to Morecambe tbf (after 2 minutes) and took all three points.  Also we came from losing positions to draw against Tranmere and FGR.  That's slim pickings though, obviously.

It's an odd metric though, because you can both gain and lose points from losing or winning positions in the same match.  As happened at Tranmere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Poojah
November 20, 2023, 10:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Captain Sensible

We were losing at home to Morecambe tbf (after 2 minutes) and took all three points.  Also we came from losing positions to draw against Tranmere and FGR.  That's slim pickings though, obviously.

It's an odd metric though, because you can both gain and lose points from losing or winning positions in the same match.  As happened at Tranmere.

You’re right about Tranmere, so that’s one point. Hurst wasn’t in charge for Morecambe or FGR though, which was the point I was making. Ergo, we gained zero one points from behind all season under Hurst, and then suddenly four in two games under Pearson and Davies.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
Captain Sensible
November 20, 2023, 10:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

You’re right about Tranmere, so that’s one point. Hurst wasn’t in charge for Morecambe or FGR though, which was the point I was making. Ergo, we gained zero one points from behind all season under Hurst, and then suddenly four in two games under Pearson and Davies.

Ah, fair enough.  I hadn't realised you were looking at Hurst games only.

Even slimmer pickings.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.