6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 18, 2023, 11:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
I was level with the 18 yard line, n it looked like a clear cut pen  so can see why the ref gave it. Thought glennon did ok, but amazed nobody's mentioned Cartwright incredible instinctive 1 handed save from a header that looked a certain goal. And to make it even more vital it was only a couple of minutes after we equalised.
For me he was motm .
Wilson didnt do anything except score 2 goals! Pyke n rose were a threat. Didnt think anyone played badly, but neither did anyone stand out.
At least a new manager would see we are not a hopeless cause  ,there's enough there to work with. And they deserve praise for rescuing a vital point. Good , although v quiet , following from town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
grimsby pete
November 18, 2023, 11:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
When there player went down and got a pen I was looking for a sniper in the crowd.

Because non of our players touched him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
sam gy
November 19, 2023, 1:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from forza ivano

Wilson didnt do anything except score 2 goals! Pyke n rose were a threat. Didnt think anyone played badly, but neither did anyone stand out.

This is a bit of a conundrum. Pyke seemingly played decent, some good runs and was our biggest threat. Donovan seems a natural goal scorer but never seems to contribute much else, whereas Pyke seems to be a decent enough goal scorer and a better all round player.

Rose is seemingly first name on the sheet.

Is there a way we can play all 3?? Probably not!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
pontoonlew
November 19, 2023, 7:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from sam gy

This is a bit of a conundrum. Pyke seemingly played decent, some good runs and was our biggest threat. Donovan seems a natural goal scorer but never seems to contribute much else, whereas Pyke seems to be a decent enough goal scorer and a better all round player.

Rose is seemingly first name on the sheet.

Is there a way we can play all 3?? Probably not!

I think praise needs to go to Pearson/Davies on Pyke yesterday, very brave decision to take him off during a decent performance but the sub worked perfectly.

Contehs impact was also huge, although I’m personally of the opinion he should be playing every week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
moosey_club
November 19, 2023, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Best thing about today was Billy Joel - We didn't start the fire at half time

Blimey...I can remember when he was playing the likes of Wembley and the Hollywood Bowl

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Poojah
November 19, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think praise needs to go to Pearson/Davies on Pyke yesterday, very brave decision to take him off during a decent performance but the sub worked perfectly.

Contehs impact was also huge, although I’m personally of the opinion he should be playing every week.

The funny thing is, after 18 games we’re actually a point behind Holloway’s monstrosity of a side 3 years ago, but it’s clear we have some decent players. Rose, Pyke, Wilson, Khan and Gnahoua have all done positive things of late, while Eisa was probably the star of our early season.

In midfield, Holohan (though shaky at times yesterday) Green and Andrews have all looked good in the past couple of weeks too, and we know that Conteh is capable of being a star at this level if we can find a way to get the best out of him and the team as a whole at the same time. Clifton is undoubtably the one who has underwhelmed this season, but again we know he can be a very good player for us. Hopefully the rest he’s getting at the moment will do him some good - he’s run a lot of yards these last few years. That’s without even mentioning the likes of Hunt and Ainley, both of whom have been limited to brief cameos.  

That’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement there, and we have no real way of replacing Rose should he be unavailable at some point, but there’s definitely plenty to work with for a new manager. We have a lot more quality than we did a few years ago.

Evidently, 30 goals conceded in 18 games is the bigger concern. Even then, though, I’m more inclined to believe our players are lacking in confidence as opposed to being awful. Maher and Rodgers seem to be the biggest culprits in recent weeks and were at the heart of yesterday’s goals conceded again, though that’s perhaps a tad harsh on Maher given the FGR player’s theatrics for the pen, but the former was solid most of last season and the latter looked a level above when he first came in.

I don’t think we’re completely out of danger by any means, but we’re steadily clocking up points again and the one thing Pearson and Davies have done is restored faith that we do actually have some capable players. This season doesn’t have to be a relegation battle, and I would hope that so long as whoever comes in doesn’t make a complete hash of things (or change more personnel than is necessary, see also January 2021), I remain fairly confident that it won’t be.

Beating Sutton next Saturday really is a must, though.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
Hagrid
November 19, 2023, 10:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from Poojah

The funny thing is, after 18 games we’re actually a point behind Holloway’s monstrosity of a side 3 years ago, but it’s clear we have some decent players. Rose, Pyke, Wilson, Khan and Gnahoua have all done positive things of late, while Eisa was probably the star of our early season.

In midfield, Holohan (though shaky at times yesterday) Green and Andrews have all looked good in the past couple of weeks too, and we know that Conteh is capable of being a star at this level if we can find a way to get the best out of him and the team as a whole at the same time. Clifton is undoubtably the one who has underwhelmed this season, but again we know he can be a very good player for us. Hopefully the rest he’s getting at the moment will do him some good - he’s run a lot of yards these last few years. That’s without even mentioning the likes of Hunt and Ainley, both of whom have been limited to brief cameos.  

That’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement there, and we have no real way of replacing Rose should he be unavailable at some point, but there’s definitely plenty to work with for a new manager. We have a lot more quality than we did a few years ago.

Evidently, 30 goals conceded in 18 games is the bigger concern. Even then, though, I’m more inclined to believe our players are lacking in confidence as opposed to being awful. Maher and Rodgers seem to be the biggest culprits in recent weeks and were at the heart of yesterday’s goals conceded again, though that’s perhaps a tad harsh on Maher given the FGR player’s theatrics for the pen, but the former was solid most of last season and the latter looked a level above when he first came in.

I don’t think we’re completely out of danger by any means, but we’re steadily clocking up points again and the one thing Pearson and Davies have done is restored faith that we do actually have some capable players. This season doesn’t have to be a relegation battle, and I would hope that so long as whoever comes in doesn’t make a complete hash of things (or change more personnel than is necessary, see also January 2021), I remain fairly confident that it won’t be.

Isn’t harsh on Maher because he drunk about with it in the first place and put us under pressure

Sutton are land of the giants, I wonder if we will see Waterfall in from the start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Poojah
November 19, 2023, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Hagrid

Isn’t harsh on Maher because he drunk about with it in the first place and put us under pressure

Sutton are land of the giants, I wonder if we will see Waterfall in from the start

Probably, I would suggest. 6ft 5” Harry Smith is a particular concern as we don’t seem to deal well with freakishly large players (ever since Ben Chapman beat Peter Crouch in the air).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
headingly_mariner
November 19, 2023, 11:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid

Maher was looking to slip it to Andrews who turned his back on him and moved out of the space. He then should've just twatted it. Never a pen though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
headingly_mariner
November 19, 2023, 11:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

We had some good players in the Holloway squad and some shite ones. Remember his wasn't sacked he just dropped us in it on the Eve of the window when he realised whatever dodgy deal he'd done wasn't coming in. I fancy with the window he'd have kept us up, as much as I despise Fenty and Holloway, i think without Covid we wouldn't have had a change in ownership as we were just starting to look a good side as Covid hit.

This squad has some really good players, we haven't managed to hit our full potential due to fitness and form.  You're spot on regarding Clifton, he has been vital last few seasons and a loss of form has seen him less so. Maher also in for a bit of stick yesterday but I think he's been generally excellent since he signed, but been in and out with injury.
Pyke now fully fit looks a real threat, fast, strong, clever and technically good, I'd like to see him be a bit more aggressive.
I'm amazed by Wilson, he's been lethal, his record before us shows nothing of a prolific scorer but he looks a 20 goal a season player at this level. Still don't think he's fully fit and hope it's just not one of those weird scoring streaks players go on.

Rose has been consistently good and will comfortably get into double figures.

I think there is a short sighted habit to say players are excrement rather than out of form, people also expect players to be bang at it after injury. It's important to have a good squad.

I'm also pleased to see Hunt get some minutes but higher up the pitch, scored on Tuesday and had a moment yesterday that saw him skip past a couple of players, we don't have anyone like him, if we can get him the ball higher up the pitch and allow him to play he could be excellent.

Of our relegation threatened sides, this is the one I'm least worried about. We have several regular goal scorers, good options in midfield and an uncharacteristically shaky defence. Sort that out and we will be flying up the table. Seen enough in Rodgers to think he's out of form instead of being excrement.

This team misses a star loanee, someone clearly above the level who you get for 6 months. Be great to get someone like that in January.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.