Mappers
November 6, 2023, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 123614
This may be really left field, but why give the free kick taker a massive hole to aim at, especially now as it seems every Tom, male private and Harry can hit a top corner fairly regularly.  Give yourself a better chance to save the kick by standing in the centre of the goal.

I always thought when I played (i was a keeper at a decentish level  ) to not bother with a wall if it was over 30 yards (ish) out and just to stand relatively central , like you say so I don't completely disagree as you have the time the ball is travelling vs the benefits/negative of having a wall (the obvious visual impairment of the wall /bodies ) interestingly most the times I did it the oppo didn't score , sometimes they would put a wall in themselves, not sure if teams still do that ?

But that wall here didn't really jump for us did it , was pretty poor for me -- would Cartwright have saved it without a wall , stood in the middle ?

Maybe ,but it was what 25 yards out ? If he didn't have one and Davies top bagged it , he would have got absolutely battered for not having a wall wouldn't he .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 243
November 6, 2023, 1:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mappers

I always thought when I played (i was a keeper at a decentish level  ) to not bother with a wall if it was over 30 yards (ish) out and just to stand relatively central , like you say so I don't completely disagree as you have the time the ball is travelling vs the benefits/negative of having a wall (the obvious visual impairment of the wall /bodies ) interestingly most the times I did it the oppo didn't score , sometimes they would put a wall in themselves, not sure if teams still do that ?

But that wall here didn't really jump for us did it , was pretty poor for me -- would Cartwright have saved it without a wall , stood in the middle ?

Maybe ,but it was what 25 yards out ? If he didn't have one and Davies top bagged it , he would have got absolutely battered for not having a wall wouldn't he .

You are probably right, however my point is that if he had been stood in the middle of the goal, he would have had a lesser distance to cover to make the save.  It's just an observation that to me, makes a little sense.

Reply: 241 - 243
Mappers
November 6, 2023, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from 123614

You are probably right, however my point is that if he had been stood in the middle of the goal, he would have had a lesser distance to cover to make the save.  It's just an observation that to me, makes a little sense.

Fair mate .

I do think Cartwright has done really well the last 2 games in general though -- he looks the polar opposite in style to Eastwood who has a somewhat unorthodox technique .

Hoping he can keep it up on Saturday , a good characteristic to come back from a dodgy start - he's almost a complete contrast to the rest of our team .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 243
November 6, 2023, 1:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mappers

Fair mate .

I do think Cartwright has done really well the last 2 games in general though -- he looks the polar opposite in style to Eastwood who has a somewhat unorthodox technique .

Hoping he can keep it up on Saturday , a good characteristic to come back from a dodgy start - he's almost a complete contrast to the rest of our team .

Not criticising Cartwright at all, it's just an general observation on the use of walls.  Another thought was if the wall is central, it will probably have 4 or 5 players in it, reducing the number of players we have available to mark the opposition players.

Reply: 243 - 243
25 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Slough match thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.