Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln Sack Manager !!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lincoln Sack Manager !!

This thread currently has 6,840 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
toontown
October 20, 2023, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

Well, that’s a different argument altogether. Our recent investment in data analytics isn’t about creating the kind of competitive enjoyment that Brighton enjoy, it’s about not having the kind of competitive disadvantage that has been allowed to open up while clubs around us moved on (not the fault of the current board, I might add).

I don’t know the secrets of the proprietary system Brighton leverage; evidently no one outside of the inner circle of the club’s top brass does. But it ultimately stems from Bloom’s own predictive gambling data company, where it was able to be developed in the environs of a multi-billion pound turnover business, and accordingly, was able to benefit from appropriate investment which probably runs into the hundreds of millions over time (because it has its own direct payback model). That’s what makes it unique. That’s why others can’t copy what Brighton have done. Even Chelsea can’t pump hundreds of millions into developing proprietary technologies; that’s not their modus operandi.

All that said, the notion that having some kind of data analytics capability should be better than having none, seems reasonable. The logic goes that coming into this summer, we had a more settled squad, a significantly bigger budget, AND new and improved ways in which to identify targets and make better recruitment and strategic decisions; the cumulative effect of these advantages, over last season if not the competition, should be tangible improvements in the playing side.

Based only on the evidence we have seen so far, that litmus test has been failed. We are not tangibly better than last season. That is clear. That leads me to just three possible conclusions:

1. We simply haven’t used the data platform
2. The platform, or the staff using it, aren’t very good
3. It’s all working perfectly, we just haven’t seen the fruits of its labour yet

Personally, scenario 3 feels very unlikely at this juncture, however I’ve been very wrong before and I’ll be very wrong again. But whether we’re using it or not, our performances and results so far this season suggest multiple points of failure. As such, it’s rather difficult to pinpoint precisely where things are going wrong and to what extent.

It’s a little bit early to jump to conclusions on anything, for me.

I think there is an option 4 which is that the data side is working but the manager and/or coaching staff are unable or unwilling to take advantage of it.

Ultimately, no matter how good the data side is, they don't take the footballing decisions.

I am not suggesting that this is what is happening, just that it is a possibility that didn't seem to be included in your list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
jamesgtfc
October 20, 2023, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
You can find good players without data.  Just takes a lot of leg work for starters.

Colby Bishop is the top scorer for Portsmouth last season and this season.  They are top of Div 1 and probably heading for the Championship.  At age 26, he has scored 28 goals in 58 appearances.  A very good return.

They bought him from Accrington in 2022 after he scored 32 goals in 109 games for them.

Between 2019 and 2022 he scored 28 goals in 49 games for Leamington.

However, in 2017 he played a few games for Boston United.  No one spotted his talent there.  Should he have been on Town’s radar?  Was his undoubted potential for scoring a lot of goals evident there?

(He had previously been released by Notts County at aged 17.  He is local (ish) having been born in Nottingham).

Annoying that he was at Boston and then went onto much better things at other clubs.  A proven goalscorer over the seasons.  A career record of 110 goals in 291 games. At age 26.  

Boston fans I know said that he was absolutely hopeless for them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
NorfolkImp
October 25, 2023, 7:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Amazing what a change of Manager can do (albeit interim) even if you have 4 first choice forward players missing (House, Walker, Mandriou & Hackett)

22 (TWENTY TWO) shots at goal with 9 (NINE) on target, culminating in a quite scintillating 3-1 over ex-boss Appleton’s Charlton who were unbeaten to this point.

It looked like the players were playing with the shackles off and more entertaining than anything under Mark Kennedy.  

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
Heisenberg
October 25, 2023, 7:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,055
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Amazing what a change of Manager can do (albeit interim) even if you have 4 first choice forward players missing (House, Walker, Mandriou & Hackett)

22 (TWENTY TWO) shots at goal with 9 (NINE) on target, culminating in a quite scintillating 3-1 over ex-boss Appleton’s Charlton who were unbeaten to this point.

It looked like the players were playing with the shackles off and more entertaining than anything under Mark Kennedy.  

We need a bit of that, I tell ya! Things are getting toxic here, we’re all shell-shocked at our slump. Depressing times.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
Northbank Mariner
October 25, 2023, 9:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,459
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from NorfolkImp

This is the context needed to all those GTFC fans asking "who do we replace Hurst with" in defence of not sacking him!..
Sometimes its just a complete change of attitude that makes the difference, not necessarily a tactical masterclass, just letting the players express themselves without fear of retribution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
nealeardleyscrossing
October 25, 2023, 11:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
It has definitely been a complete contrast since Kennedy left, a win away at Fleetwood and then battering an in-form Charlton without your 4 staring forwards is not something I thought would happen. I would be surprised if we stayed with the interim manager but it has put us in a position we should be really with the team we have.

Speaking with someone who watches Grimsby a lot due to his role in Football (Non league scout) - He thinks your midfield is your strongest area by far. I had a chat with him Sunday at my sons football match and he said your back 4 is poor, and lacks pace through the centre - He also suggested that nothing sticks up front - I have no idea if this is true but he has watched you a few times this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
Hagrid
October 25, 2023, 11:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,419
Gold Stars: 534
It has definitely been a complete contrast since Kennedy left, a win away at Fleetwood and then battering an in-form Charlton without your 4 staring forwards is not something I thought would happen. I would be surprised if we stayed with the interim manager but it has put us in a position we should be really with the team we have.

Speaking with someone who watches Grimsby a lot due to his role in Football (Non league scout) - He thinks your midfield is your strongest area by far. I had a chat with him Sunday at my sons football match and he said your back 4 is poor, and lacks pace through the centre - He also suggested that nothing sticks up front - I have no idea if this is true but he has watched you a few times this season.

Pretty true, We're excrement at the back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
Poojah
October 25, 2023, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Hagrid

Pretty true, We're excrement at the back

I find this totally perplexing. Think of all of the solid defensive units we’ve had under Hurst even in the bleak years, the names of players goes on and on and on:

Pearson
Miller
Pond
Thomas
Gowling
Nsiala
Magnay
Townsend
Tait
Collins

Plenty of other honourable mentions too. The above group more or less overlapped over a period of 4 or 5 seasons, and generally speaking were as solid as a rock. Even last season we weren’t horrible.

How did a manager with such solid defensive credentials get things this wrong? I find it hard to understand.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln Sack Manager !!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.