Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln Sack Manager !!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lincoln Sack Manager !!

This thread currently has 6,850 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
October 19, 2023, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,611
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GrimPol

The only thing with League 1 it has 4 places down, which is a big trapdoor, compared to League 2 smaller trapdoor of 2 places. Indeed League 2 is unique where it has 4 up and only 2 down.

Somewhat frustrating though isn’t it that we’ve become far more adept at getting out of it the “hard way” than the statistically easier way. I swear if we end up in another relegation battle this season I’m going to blow my brains out before it has run its course.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
NorfolkImp
October 19, 2023, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

I know they were successful for you but their style of play is so anti football, its a huge change from what you've had these last few years surely?

Anti-football is very harsh, especially for lower league level … they made watching The Imps an occasion, not many have managed that over the decades. I watched Notts County attempt to play like Pep, but were trounced by Clough Jnrs’ Stags last weekend.

Kennedy literally bottled it after winning 6-3 away at Bristol Rovers last season, and quickly resorted to 5 at the back with 2 defensively minded midfielders in front of them … it’s been painful viewing ever since, I’m amazed we are still averaging 8k tbh.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 19, 2023, 1:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Well I’m obviously surrounded by, and spend many hours drinking and golfing, with Chimps and I don’t know anyone who want the Cowleys back. I think once they had the much more positive and attractive football played under Appleton they were thankful for everything the Cowley’s achieved with them but were pleased they had moved on.

Have the Board forgiven them for the money they spent without approval? Not sure their return is likely but would please me if they continue to suffer watching crap football just like us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
1mickylyons
October 19, 2023, 1:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Anti-football is very harsh, especially for lower league level … they made watching The Imps an occasion, not many have managed that over the decades. I watched Notts County attempt to play like Pep, but were trounced by Clough Jnrs’ Stags last weekend.

Kennedy literally bottled it after winning 6-3 away at Bristol Rovers last season, and quickly resorted to 5 at the back with 2 defensively minded midfielders in front of them … it’s been painful viewing ever since, I’m amazed we are still averaging 8k tbh.

Painful viewing eh? Try 9 years of Hurstball 500 games and about 20 that you'd class as a decent watch especially at home. Fans these days are probably way more demanding but give them some entertainment or they will eventually move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
nealeardleyscrossing
October 19, 2023, 1:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Well I’m obviously surrounded by, and spend many hours drinking and golfing, with Chimps and I don’t know anyone who want the Cowleys back. I think once they had the much more positive and attractive football played under Appleton they were thankful for everything the Cowley’s achieved with them but were pleased they had moved on.

Have the Board forgiven them for the money they spent without approval? Not sure their return is likely but would please me if they continue to suffer watching crap football just like us.

Whilst on the pitch we have not moved on too far from the Cowley's, I think off the pitch we have, with investment and infrastructure - I personally think we have outgrown them - Whilst I will always appreciate what they have done, I think we need to look at up and coming managers and continue moving forward. A day earlier we could have got Gateshead's manager, though some rumours now about Notts County manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 19, 2023, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79

Whilst on the pitch we have not moved on too far from the Cowley's, I think off the pitch we have, with investment and infrastructure - I personally think we have outgrown them - Whilst I will always appreciate what they have done, I think we need to look at up and coming managers and continue moving forward. A day earlier we could have got Gateshead's manager, though some rumours now about Notts County manager.

Think that was my point Appleton initially moved you forward in both playing style and results but Kennedy appears to have given you a great defensive set up but very little going forwards, however, as mentioned above been very unlucky with injuries to forward players this season which won’t have helped. Anyway, I need you back in a league us, as was the norm for my first forty years living here so that I can get by smug look back on when hearing about Lincoln’s woes!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
GrimPol
October 19, 2023, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -681
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

Somewhat frustrating though isn’t it that we’ve become far more adept at getting out of it the “hard way” than the statistically easier way. I swear if we end up in another relegation battle this season I’m going to blow my brains out before it has run its course.

I understand and feel your pain. However, it might push you off your psychological trauma cliff edge, if we do (Trigger warning) go down and Scunny (Trigger warning) go up, we will (Trigger warning) play each other in the National, I " What the hell am I doing here" league. Brrrrrrrr
Now where did I leave my anxiety tablets?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
GollyGTFC
October 19, 2023, 3:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,984
Gold Stars: 356

Data has never ever won any team a football match.

Do you want to tell Brentford & Brighton that? 2 clubs that we consistently outperformed and who are now light years ahead of us on and off the pitch.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 57
rancido
October 19, 2023, 4:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96

Is that why they keep getting the sack?

Lots of managers ask for lots of crosses,  Hurst asks for lots of tracking back. It's just a managers preference.

Data has never ever won any team a football match.

Maybe the use of data has never actually won a football match but it could highlight why you aren't winning games. Statistics and data are indicaters, not the answer to a problem on their own but are very useful in specifically identifying problem areas.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
lew chaterleys lover
October 19, 2023, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

Maybe the use of data has never actually won a football match but it could highlight why you aren't winning games. Statistics and data are indicaters, not the answer to a problem on their own but are very useful in specifically identifying problem areas.

I can't be arsed to go through it all again but retrospective data has no impact on the next match because all the conditions of the next match are different.

Analysts can pinpoint problem areas (as can the average fan to be fair) but solving it is another thing altogether. Hurst knows our problems but 13 games in we are getting worse so therefore the statistical analysis has counted for nothing. A new more attacking manager might have this team playing better but is that data led or just football sense?

As far as I can see on the playing side we are paying money to learn what Hurst already knows but as yet can't fix.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln Sack Manager !!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.