AncientExiledMariner
October 16, 2023, 2:45pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

So what he was still sacked from Scunthorpe as well as being sacked by Ipswich.

Do you know why every other manager has been sacked?

No, but when the owner (the one who does the sacking) publicly comes out and states it, you've kind of got to accept that is why. I understand you want reasons to bash on Hurst, and I'm sure there are many. I'm afraid this one isn't a good example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
GollyGTFC
October 16, 2023, 2:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from supertown

It’s not the fans choice whether a manager gets sacked , that’s utter rubbish you are spouting

You say that, but let’s see how long Hurst lasts if the few chants from Saturday become more widespread and it really turns toxic. Maybe at Doncaster with over 3,000 Town fans there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Think we'll take 3,000?

I think it'll need a good performance on Saturday, even if the result isn't a win, with a very good performance and win against Colchester to get a 'usual' following to Doncaster.  Closer and quicker to get to than a home game for me and I've not bothered with a ticket yet.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
arryarryarry
October 16, 2023, 3:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116

No, but when the owner (the one who does the sacking) publicly comes out and states it, you've kind of got to accept that is why. I understand you want reasons to bash on Hurst, and I'm sure there are many. I'm afraid this one isn't a good example.

So you are close to the ex Scunny chairman or do you just believe what every chairman says.

And where am I bashing Hurst? Just pointing out he has been sacked twice.

You're the one with the agenda here, I bet if Hurst took us down again you would still say he did a good job.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
1mickylyons
October 16, 2023, 3:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56

"Scunthorpe chairman Peter Swann said Hurst was sacked because of non-footballing reasons and that the relationship between himself and Hurst had simply broken down.[41]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hurst

Ahem he also said don't compare him to Fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
GrimPol
October 16, 2023, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
So MK Dons, a former league 1 club with higher budget, 2 points above us in the league, and some are so desperate to change, they'll take that...

Bargain bin time it looks like.

Some don't want us to succeed. They just don't want Hurst.

Are there any Managers who have not been sacked in League 1,2 ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
AncientExiledMariner
October 16, 2023, 4:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

So you are close to the ex Scunny chairman or do you just believe what every chairman says.

And where am I bashing Hurst? Just pointing out he has been sacked twice.

You're the one with the agenda here, I bet if Hurst took us down again you would still say he did a good job.

No, I just assumed you'd be able to click a link, find a reference and read. I guess I was mistaken. Here, let me help:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....-swann-hurst-3797430

Swann said that Hurst was not sacked for football reasons but that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the two but he was unable to elaborate on the reasons why.

“The situation is the relationship has broken down,” Hurst told Radio Humberside.

“It is not a footballing thing, it is not about how we played or how he coaches.

“We have a path we have to take at the football club and one of those paths was to get players out in the summer and what happened was we ended up with five extra.

“The budget coming into Christmas was substantially more than we started the season with.

“A big part of what we needed to do was move people on and get the budget down. That hasn’t happened and we are carrying extra players and financially that isn’t ideal.

“That isn’t the only reason, there are other reasons but breakdown is down to many things that haven’t happened.”

“We are carrying League One wages and our wages are the second biggest in League Two and we cannot sustain that,” Hurst continued.

“I need the fans to trust me. It is not an ideal situation but it is really important the club get on the straight and narrow and get themselves financially stable.

“It is frustrating but I have to make these decisions. I’ve made it and it is what it is.

“It was the best decision for the football club. We have a plan and a budget and I can’t do any more than put a manager in charge to do the job I request.

----

You're as wrong as me as you are about other stuff, and I'm assuming walking you through certain things step by step or paint by numbers won't help you see any better.

(I really don't like to play this way, but you went for the ad hominem.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
Northbank Mariner
October 16, 2023, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171

"Scunthorpe chairman Peter Swann said Hurst was sacked because of non-footballing reasons and that the relationship between himself and Hurst had simply broken down.[41]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hurst

Avsolute BS statement they reeled out...the fans hated the way that played, guess what, they didn't like his negative tactics, the players also weren't happy with his "my way or the highway attutude", and that's come from a player who now plays charity football with my son btw.
He underperformed at Ipswich and he underperformed at Scunthorpe.
Yep, he did wonders at the Shrews but don't be blinded by that, they choked at the end of the season and had a pretty poor run to boot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
arryarryarry
October 16, 2023, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043

No, I just assumed you'd be able to click a link, find a reference and read. I guess I was mistaken. Here, let me help:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....-swann-hurst-3797430

Swann said that Hurst was not sacked for football reasons but that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the two but he was unable to elaborate on the reasons why.

“The situation is the relationship has broken down,” Hurst told Radio Humberside.

“It is not a footballing thing, it is not about how we played or how he coaches.

“We have a path we have to take at the football club and one of those paths was to get players out in the summer and what happened was we ended up with five extra.

“The budget coming into Christmas was substantially more than we started the season with.

“A big part of what we needed to do was move people on and get the budget down. That hasn’t happened and we are carrying extra players and financially that isn’t ideal.

“That isn’t the only reason, there are other reasons but breakdown is down to many things that haven’t happened.”

“We are carrying League One wages and our wages are the second biggest in League Two and we cannot sustain that,” Hurst continued.

“I need the fans to trust me. It is not an ideal situation but it is really important the club get on the straight and narrow and get themselves financially stable.

“It is frustrating but I have to make these decisions. I’ve made it and it is what it is.

“It was the best decision for the football club. We have a plan and a budget and I can’t do any more than put a manager in charge to do the job I request.

----

You're as wrong as me as you are about other stuff, and I'm assuming walking you through certain things step by step or paint by numbers won't help you see any better.

(I really don't like to play this way, but you went for the ad hominem.)

I haven't a friggin idea what you are on about but again, do you believe everything a chairman says considering he is hated by Scunny fans for what he hàs done to their club.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
headingly_mariner
October 16, 2023, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Some times the right move is to hold your nerve and stick with the process. Hurst's teams have often been streaky, a bad run followed by a good run.

It was excrement Saturday and has been a few times this season. But we've also played well quite a few times and not got what we deserved.

I think he's earned more credit than the patience he's getting.

If he stays I expect us to get much better as the season goes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Franchise FC sack Graham Alexander

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.