lew chaterleys lover
September 27, 2023, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Tommy

You forget how crazy that season was don't you. The focus is often on the unbelievable sequence of events in the play offs. But what an odd season, with how you say we started the season in the first 13 games, flying. Then 2 or 3 months of being seemingly allergic to winning a game of football. And then a couple of statement wins kickstarting a bit of a revival and finishing the season with respectable but not outstanding form to get into one of the lowest play off positions.

An outsider looking at our results that season would be forgiven for thinking we had 3 different managers that season, such was the clear contrast in each third of the season. Which again, is very un-Hurst like, as he's generally a consistent sort of manager.

Not sure about the last bit. It's often very up or very down.

He goes through so many different players every season and often a lot of formations so I think consistency is often lacking.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
AncientExiledMariner
September 27, 2023, 11:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59

Not sure about the last bit. It's often very up or very down.

He goes through so many different players every season and often a lot of formations so I think consistency is often lacking.

The down patch in the conference co-coincided with losing McAtee. We were very much a 1 player team at that time.

If we are losing, do you expect him not to change things and just sit there hoping for the best? Do you expect him to hold players to account who are out of form and give another player a shot or not? Hurst will often stick with players if they're performing.

There is this weird trend of trying to simplify football to catch phrases. It just ain't that simple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
Mappers
September 28, 2023, 6:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Tommy

You forget how crazy that season was don't you. The focus is often on the unbelievable sequence of events in the play offs. But what an odd season, with how you say we started the season in the first 13 games, flying. Then 2 or 3 months of being seemingly allergic to winning a game of football. And then a couple of statement wins kickstarting a bit of a revival and finishing the season with respectable but not outstanding form to get into one of the lowest play off positions.

An outsider looking at our results that season would be forgiven for thinking we had 3 different managers that season, such was the clear contrast in each third of the season. Which again, is very un-Hurst like, as he's generally a consistent sort of manager.

We did have a great start , but it was a terrible mid season , then a return to type with a mixture of results at the back end - from memory I had the same feeling as now  of 'we are not going anywhere fast ' after the games against Solihull,Weymouth ,Kings Lynn  and Maidenhead. But we got over the line and as they say 'the rest is history ' .

Let's hope for a similiar outcome  this time out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
September 28, 2023, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237

The down patch in the conference co-coincided with losing McAtee. We were very much a 1 player team at that time.

If we are losing, do you expect him not to change things and just sit there hoping for the best? Do you expect him to hold players to account who are out of form and give another player a shot or not? Hurst will often stick with players if they're performing.

There is this weird trend of trying to simplify football to catch phrases. It just ain't that simple.

What catch phrase have I used? It's just an opinion which you obviously don't like.

I was actually referring to the amount of players he signs.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
diehardmariner
September 28, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539

So I'm not with you and want to put the counter argument, respectfully and for the debate...

I recall the phrase 'death slide' being used about the team toward the end of Holloway's time. We had gone from being OK to being awful and it was difficult to see where the change was going to come. He had signed a pile of players that just weren't up to it, the first team almost picked itself because there was no depth in the squad and that 1st team was poor.
Although not directly related to the on pitch performance we then had the chaos of Fenty, May and Holloway leaving etc etc etc - Holloway said he was staying but was gone within 3 weeks or so. That cannot have helped the players in terms of their preparation to play.
Hurst walked into this chaos and had to sign a lot of players in January and turn them into a side good enough to stay up, when all of us could see we were dead and buried if no changes were made. Some of his signings worked (Matete) and some didn't.
We struggled at first but got gradually better as time went on and I genuinely think that we would have stayed up if we'd have 5 more games (but we didn't). Not only did we get better results but we were better to watch. You are right that some individual results were disappointing but you could see an improving trajectory overall.
He had to fix a lot in that short period and almost got it right. Almost.

My personal view after relegation was that he should be given the chance to stay and show that he could get us going in the right direction and he did that with bells on as the club turned around from 20 years of Fenty shafting it.

I was just adding to Poojah's point that Hurst did get some things wrong.  Despite the 'errors' listed above, I thought Hurst had a bloody good go at turning that toxic ship around.  Death slide is a very good analogy for what he walked into.  I completely agree on that we were better to watch too. Watching in iFollow was bloody hard, but the performances later in the season were really good. Bolton and Salford stand out as ones, not in terms of pure football but just that everyone seemed to be in together and fighting for every blade of grass.

It just took too long to get going.  At the time and even now I can see that Hurst was trying to build from the back and as we got less leaky, we gained a bit more confidence to for it.  Maybe he left his finger tickling the trigger a bit too long, maybe not.  But with a few more games left in the season, I fancy we would have got out of it.  Alas, we'll never know.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
diehardmariner
September 28, 2023, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Tommy

I'd also add that although the team Holloway left us with wasn't great, I seem to recall almost all of the players PH brought in were worse than what Holloway brought in, with Hurst even reverting back to using the Holloway players over the ones he brought in. My recollection of that season is that Hurst made us significantly worse for a couple of months before we started looking like a football team.

Interesting points.  We definitely got worse through January and into February, but I still think that was as much about the rot setting in than because of Hurst.  It felt to me like Hurst had no choice but to rebuild that squad, to the point that it was going to go down regardless.  What Hurst did was take a six-week hit with the view to having a go at it in the final stages of the season.  Ultimately it didn't work.

Definitely disagree on the quality of players bit.  My memory might be playing tricks on me but the only Holloway signing I can recall Hurst using for the final few games was Spokes.  Of course, some that Hurst signed weren't great.  Habergham, Bunney, Payne definitely stand out as those that weren't successes.  But then they did replace the likes of Preston and Gibson.   Menayese, Matete, Coke, Eastwood and LJL were all improvements.  The other point is that Hurst was still having to shop in the bargain basement for players.  Habergham and Lamy came having not played for over a year.  Coke and LJL came from Conference North Hereford.  The limited budget he did was wasted on Payne.  Hindsight is fantastic, but I'd be interested to know who else Hurst had in mind as his big ticket signing.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
Mappers
September 28, 2023, 10:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner

I was just adding to Poojah's point that Hurst did get some things wrong.  Despite the 'errors' listed above, I thought Hurst had a bloody good go at turning that toxic ship around.  Death slide is a very good analogy for what he walked into.  I completely agree on that we were better to watch too. Watching in iFollow was bloody hard, but the performances later in the season were really good. Bolton and Salford stand out as ones, not in terms of pure football but just that everyone seemed to be in together and fighting for every blade of grass.

It just took too long to get going.  At the time and even now I can see that Hurst was trying to build from the back and as we got less leaky, we gained a bit more confidence to for it.  Maybe he left his finger tickling the trigger a bit too long, maybe not.  But with a few more games left in the season, I fancy we would have got out of it.  Alas, we'll never know.

I have got to admit through the Covid period I very rarely watched games - I just could not get into it without the crowds  so my knowledge of that period  is very small apart from results , us letting Vernam go because we thought a season would not be completed , the Alex May affair ,Steffan Payne nutting his teamate and our eventual takeover . Strange times .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2023, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from diehardmariner

Yep, that was why I was keen to say that I wanted to put in the counter argument.

You are completely right about it taking too long but I suspect that was because of the quality of the squad and how long it took to find the right blend with all the new players. I'm not a slavish Hurst fan and he's far from perfect but I really do think he took on a poisoned chalice at that point.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 28, 2023, 11:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Tommy

I'd also add that although the team Holloway left us with wasn't great, I seem to recall almost all of the players PH brought in were worse than what Holloway brought in, with Hurst even reverting back to using the Holloway players over the ones he brought in. My recollection of that season is that Hurst made us significantly worse for a couple of months before we started looking like a football team.

Hmm, I don't agree.

As I said earlier, the 1st team under Holloway had some reasonable players in it but not enough and they were very poor as a team. The squad was garbage and you couldn't replace the 1st choice players with the squad players. He brought in a couple of players from very low levels (one from the League of Wales - his name escapes me) who were miles away from being good enough to play in a L2 team.
Hurst did use players who Holloway brought in and he did bring in some players who were mistakes but the players who made us look better later in the season were all brought in by Hurst. And almost all of Holloway's awful signings were gone very quickly in the following summer.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
TAGG
September 28, 2023, 1:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 126
Just look at my signature
No comparison
Mr Buckley is a footballing God

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › AB/PH comparisons

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.