Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

are we better than last season ?

This thread currently has 6,347 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
September 20, 2023, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers
I have got to say so far I do find the Pyke signing a strange one ,not that  I see him as a bad player but to me he seems a player that is better with the ball in front of him rather than a back to goal striker .

He played 2 seasons as a right back/right wing back in league 1 and seemingly did really well .

You can only assume he signed with the promise of playing as a striker , maybe Hurst thinks he can mould him into the new Shop or something .

He has all the attributes of a player that should be tough to play against, he's obviously a pretty good footballer as he's played a lot of games in the division above and Shrews fans said he was a good player. Hurst has obviously brought him in as a bit of a gamble hoping he hit the ground running. Something you can't train is that nack of scoring goals and being in the right place at the right time. Podge had it to a T, he wasn't fast, wasn't tall, wasn't strong but he knew where to be and when. Saying that, if you told me after 10 games that Liam Hearn would go on to be one of the best strikers we'd had in the past 20 years i'd of told you to urine off.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 79
RonMariner
September 21, 2023, 10:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,723
Gold Stars: 226
Yes. We are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
September 22, 2023, 8:56am
Guest User
100% we are.
Reply: 52 - 79
Mariner_09
September 22, 2023, 11:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He has all the attributes of a player that should be tough to play against, he's obviously a pretty good footballer as he's played a lot of games in the division above and Shrews fans said he was a good player. Hurst has obviously brought him in as a bit of a gamble hoping he hit the ground running. Something you can't train is that nack of scoring goals and being in the right place at the right time. Podge had it to a T, he wasn't fast, wasn't tall, wasn't strong but he knew where to be and when. Saying that, if you told me after 10 games that Liam Hearn would go on to be one of the best strikers we'd had in the past 20 years i'd of told you to urine off.

I'm not sure about that, you could tell Liam was a proper player and once he scored, he'd explode.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
MrThirsty
September 22, 2023, 2:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HerveJosse

Such a complicated game! Get bodies in the opposition box and shoot. I think I worked that out in 1971 when we had a squad of 14 , had a manager a coach and a physio and that was the total back room staff ,nobody had heard of sports science, data analysis or expected goals and the players had a ciggie at half time (or in Matt Tees case got his pipe out). Where did it all go wrong.!

The past is a different country, they do things differently there. I think that was part of our previous owners issue and look where that got us. It can be understandable to hark back to the past when we were young but time moves on, for better or worse and that perspective is partly driven by our age.

While watching some performances has been hugely frustrating I’m not yet ready to discount some of the best moments I’ve had over the past two seasons in fifty plus years of following the team. I don’t think all is yet lost and the return of some of our more attacking players may yet change the dynamic of our performances and in summary I think we are better placed now than compared to last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
DB
September 23, 2023, 1:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
We've just given 18 year old Gardner a 3-year contract, so were certainly moving in the right direction.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
arryarryarry
September 23, 2023, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from RonMariner
Yes. We are.

No, not on that showing.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
denni266
September 23, 2023, 7:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
What ever is better is not winning games  so how can we be better . Or are we waiting once again for the next window  next season etc... Hurst out now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
fishcake63
September 23, 2023, 7:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
On this evidence no where near
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
MuddyWaters
September 23, 2023, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DB
We've just given 18 year old Gardner a 3-year contract, so were certainly moving in the right direction.

What on earth has that got to do with being better?
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.