Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

are we better than last season ?

This thread currently has 6,353 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
September 18, 2023, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Tommy

I don't disagree with the comment after the bit in bold about being toothless, but I can't agree that our play is exactly the same as last season. We are clearly trying to dominate possession a lot more and are much, much better at building possession in our defensive third and into the middle third. We've clearly brought players in to be able to play this way so it's clearly something Hurst wanted to do. I actually think there were games last year that showed he wanted us to play this way but couldn't because of the players we had.

The obvious deficiency we have is getting into the final third and maintaining the same control and adding creativity. But I think our style has noticeably changed this season.

How do we change or improve what we're with struggling with at the top end of the pitch? For starters, although I'm happy with Rose as a signing, we don't have much quality(options) up top really do we. Secondly, do we get enough players into the final third to prevent us being so overloaded by opposition players defending that we'd find it hard to keep the ball in that final third? Then, is this through lack of runners making those forward runs, is it through having one striker and no-one close to him centrally (think McAtee in a no.10 role). Would we need to come away from this 4141/433 and move to the 4231 we used in nonleague and at times last season, to have someone centrally to link with the no.9?
For me, that player in the middle of the 3 supporting the striker needs to be someone with craft and creativity, not just a runner such as Clifton/Holohan. Do we have that player in the squad? Ainley seems to fit the mould of that type of player if he fulfils some of his promise there. Other than that we don't really have anyone for that role that I can think of.

I agree with others that have said our forward options were healthier when we won promotion than at any time since (McAtee, Taylor, Mani, Abrahams), which is frustrating.

Often the most creative players, or goalscorers, are the ones that don't necessarily clock up 100k on the GPS every Saturday, or maybe have an ego, or maybe are a bit of a buffoon. Is our focus on signing good characters is so strong that we get attackers who are grafters rather than genuine quality. Hurst & Doig seemed to manage McAtee ok and he definitely had a (healthy level) of ego and arrogance, so hopefully they wouldn't be too put off bringing that type of personality in again.

Totally agree we play noticeably differently this season. Disagree about us being likely to drop 4 1 4 1 for 4 3 3 etc, as others have said, because 4 1 4 1 suits conteh and he's very good in that position we are likely to persist with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
IlkleyMariner
September 18, 2023, 7:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Anyone watching sky footy tonight?

Interesting analysis of how to score goals using statistics. Brentford manager Thomas Franks showing they try to get players into opposition box and shoot.

How often do mariners get 3-4 players in opposition boxes.

I mentioned something like this yesterday as Leeds scored 3 goals on breakaway with three or so players n the box but got usual red cross. Hope it wasn’t PH who gave me my red cross!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
toontown
September 18, 2023, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MaccasBoots
I agree with Mappers point that Conteh is essentially 1 and a half players, and that Hurst will therefore persist with the 433/4141 shape.

Essentially, there are two attacking problems that teams in this shape need to solve positionally.

1. Getting players close enough to the centre forward to threaten the opposition.

2. Maintaining width to stretch the opposition.

If you don't do the first one, then the centre forward gets marked out of the game, and you have meaningless possession out wide and deep. This is the issue we have been facing early in the season, in my view.

If you don't do the second one, then the opposition can defend really narrow, meaning there's no space between them and attacks end up being a congested mess.

To simplify, there are two primary ways to solve both these issues.

1. Have your wingers play narrower and get close to the striker, with the full backs overlapping and maintaing the width. Central midfielders focus more on holding their shape and covering the gaps left by the full backs. See Klopp's Liverpool, Zidane's Madrid.

2. Have your wingers stay wide to stretch the opposition full backs, with the central midfielders bombing forward and finding space in the gap between centre back and full back. Full backs tuck inside and support the lone holding midfielder. See Pep's City, Ange's Spurs.

As it stands, our full backs aren't getting forward enough for the first option (likely out of fear of being exposed as Glennon was early on), but our central midfielders also aren't getting into those attacking spaces with enough regularity. The result is that we have a lack of penetration, as opposition full backs can mark our wingers without having to worry about our full backs overlapping or our midfielders running in behind them.

I think Hurst maybe intended Glennon to be a full back who would get forward all the time, but that clearly didn't work as teams targeted us down that side and we had no answer. I now suspect he is looking for our midfielder players to get forward more while our wingers hold the width and the full backs tuck in - this would explain the signings of Ainley and Andrews, two attack minded midfield players.

It might see us lining up something like:

Eastwood
Mullarkey Rodgers Maher Amos
Andrews Conteh Ainley
Gnahoua Rose Eisa

Idea being that Gnahoua and Eisa use their pace and attacking threat to stretch the full backs, while Andrews and Ainley attack the space and support Rose. Mullarkey and Amos would play a little more conservatively, tucking in alongside Conteh, and acting as auxillary midfielders.

Just some thoughts about what Hurst might be planning - I'm probably well wide of the mark though!

Interesting post.
In his incarnation Hurst seems keen on full backs pushing forward, last season we frequently had effete as a spare man pushing as forward as a winger. Glennon was an effective attacker from wing back and full back, getting numerous assists. In clifton and holohan We have central midfielders who are more athletic than creative. So I'd have thought option 1 was more likely?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
HerveJosse
September 18, 2023, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Interesting analysis of how to score goals using statistics. Brentford manager Thomas Franks showing they try to get players into opposition box and shoot.

I mentioned something like this yesterday as Leeds scored 3 goals on breakaway with three or so players n the box but got usual red cross. Hope it wasn’t PH who gave me my red cross!

Such a complicated game! Get bodies in the opposition box and shoot. I think I worked that out in 1971 when we had a squad of 14 , had a manager a coach and a physio and that was the total back room staff ,nobody had heard of sports science, data analysis or expected goals and the players had a ciggie at half time (or in Matt Tees case got his pipe out). Where did it all go wrong.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
September 18, 2023, 10:02pm
Guest User

Pretty much what I said the other day re Brighton beating Man U 3-1,  1st goal 3 in box, 2nd goal 4 in box and 3rd goal 5 in box, this from the away team.

Reply: 44 - 79
lew chaterleys lover
September 19, 2023, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237

You don't need stats to tell you that, surely?

We don't score enough goals for this very reason.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
Mappers
September 19, 2023, 8:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,343
Gold Stars: 119
I have got to say so far I do find the Pyke signing a strange one ,not that  I see him as a bad player but to me he seems a player that is better with the ball in front of him rather than a back to goal striker .

He played 2 seasons as a right back/right wing back in league 1 and seemingly did really well .

You can only assume he signed with the promise of playing as a striker , maybe Hurst thinks he can mould him into the new Shop or something .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
Mappers
September 19, 2023, 8:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,343
Gold Stars: 119

I'm wondering if Khan can do that central role with Eisa and Gnahoua on the flanks. If Conteh and Clifton are sat behind him, it could be quite powerful. Obviously, we'll have to wait until he's proven his fitness a bit. We don't want to go too hard and losing him again. I'd prefer him fit for the rest of the season, not 2 games.

Maybe , I think Khan is probably more effective down the middle than on the left , as I find him pretty predictable on the wing he just comes inside everytime . It will be interesting to see how he does because he needs to have a good season - he seems a bit of a journeyman type player who's had quite a few clubs already and never really had any length of time at a club  . If he is going to have any sort of career above league 2 (or maybe even just stay in it)  he needs a good year or 2 really or he will probably fade into the NL imo.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
MaccasBoots
September 19, 2023, 9:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from toontown

Interesting post.
In his incarnation Hurst seems keen on full backs pushing forward, last season we frequently had effete as a spare man pushing as forward as a winger. Glennon was an effective attacker from wing back and full back, getting numerous assists. In clifton and holohan We have central midfielders who are more athletic than creative. So I'd have thought option 1 was more likely?

I agree that I think that was the original intention going into the season, but Glennon kept getting found out in those early games. I think Hurst has decided that having our full backs be the ones to get forward leaves us too exposed, and is therefore now looking for the midfielders to do that job instead - hence the signings of Andrews and Ainley. But I might be wrong!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
acko338
September 20, 2023, 9:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
What do Town need to improve?

Players to support the lone forward quicker and closer.

Wingers or overlapping wing backs who can actually cross a ball more accurately to one of our players, not into a goalie's hands, or too hard for players to chase.

An attacking version of Conteh.

Some fit forwards to give Hurst any form of player / formation choice for games.

A shoot on sight policy - Eisa has the right idea, just need him to stay fit !

A Rose clone - he can't do what he does for 90+ minutes in every game.

A regular No 10 player - that's the link between mids and strikers where things are breaking down, with no Taylor / McAtee style partnership forming.

Lloyd back in January if recovered / fit and allowed to come back on loan could be a solution. His mobility, harassing, aggression and odd few goals would dovetail into the current playing style.

We have more comfortable ball players this year, our passing and possession seem better, just a lack of a killing edge up front and poor wings service.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.