Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

are we better than last season ?

This thread currently has 6,346 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 17, 2023, 12:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Max vs Eastwood is tight. Although, based on Max’s post Christmas performances, it’s probably a slight upgrade.

Lloyd possibly, although I prefer Rose. But if you played Rose and Lloyd you would have to leave out one of Eisa or Gnahoua.

Obviously, talent wise, a fit McAtee would walk into this season’s team but only if he was fit, motivated and wanted to be here. Hypothetical of course!

We are definitely better on an individual basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 79
mariner91
September 17, 2023, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
I think we’ve improved on the ball definitely. In Conteh, Rodgers, Rose and Eisa we have four very good players for this level. I think Gnahoua is showing signs of that too and I think there’s more to come from him. Mullarkey is a good defender but very limited in an attacking sense. I also think Eastwood is an upgrade on Crocombe, certainly the Crocombe from January onwards.

However, we’re still lacking in some of the basic areas that we were lacking last season which are very important for this level. We don’t seem to have any genuine pace in the team and therefore don’t trouble teams with the threat of getting in behind. Eisa and Gnahoua are no slouches but it’s not raw pace, the sort that gives defenders nightmares. We’re also not a particularly big or physical side and whilst we’re comfortable on the ball, we don’t have these physical elements that disrupt and panic the opposition. I think this is compounded by most of our central midfielders not being creative or overly good on the ball. Holohan and Clifton offer combativeness and energy but neither offer much in the way of dictating play or sliding balls through for others. Perhaps Khan will improve things in this respect or Ainley but we’re yet to see him.

The area that Hurst has really let himself down in the transfer window is upfront. Rose has been an excellent signing but he’s been flogged to breaking point and we’re only in September. The injury to Wilson is unfortunate and he might give us some much needed pace, but then you shouldn’t be reliant on one player for that. But to only have one other striker in Pyke who is a downgrade from both Mani and Abrahams from what we’ve seen so far is spectacularly poor planning. It’s madness that slightly over a year after getting promoted, we have a significantly more toothless forward line than we did in the play off final.

Plus we should have signed a left back. By all accounts I think they must have been close to getting one but neither Amos or Glennon are good enough for a starting spot in a top 7 L2 team.

So in summary, we are better than last season in some ways and individually have improved quite a lot. Conteh is a significant upgrade on Green. Rodgers is much better than Waterfall. Rose is much better than last season’s Taylor. Eastwood is better than Crocombe. But we are still lacking in some areas that are pretty crucial. I can put up with that as long as we see progression as the season goes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 79
September 17, 2023, 1:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

The area that Hurst has really let himself down in the transfer window is upfront. . But to only have one other striker in Pyke who is a downgrade from both Mani and Abrahams from what we’ve seen so far is spectacularly poor planning.

Really, so do you know how many strikers PH tried to sign, and how many decided to go elsewhere for whatever reason?  I'm not going to tell you how many parameters need to be met for some players, because I don't know, and neither do you, but I would guess quite a few..  To say it is 'spectacularly poor planning' is a ridiculous statement, as you have no idea what planning went into searching for strikers who are available and willing to come here.

Reply: 12 - 79
mariner91
September 17, 2023, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 123614

Really, so do you know how many strikers PH tried to sign, and how many decided to go elsewhere for whatever reason?  I'm not going to tell you how many parameters need to be met for some players, because I don't know, and neither do you, but I would guess quite a few..  To say it is 'spectacularly poor planning' is a ridiculous statement, as you have no idea what planning went into searching for strikers who are available and willing to come here.

It’s spectacularly poor planning because we’ve played 8 league games already and we’re yet to have 2 fully fit strikers available. Injuries are bad luck and happen but if you only have three to start with then you’re always only two injuries/illness/suspension away from the bare bones. Furthermore both Wilson and Pyke were injured relatively early in pre-season so this wasn’t a situation forced upon Hurst with little time to plan and rectify it. I accept that he’ll have been trying to get people in but when you’re struggling for numbers and as toothless as we are at times I’d expect something in at least even if it’s only third or fourth choice. He’s had three windows since promotion but our attacking options in the play-off final were significantly better both in quality and quantity than at any time since then. That is not good management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 79
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
I think we are about the same better in midfield less up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 79
lukeo
September 17, 2023, 3:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from jimgtfc
We’re better than last season, unfortunately so are 70% of the rest of League Two. I think it might take a couple of years of the bigger spenders going up before we can challenge for promotion.

100% this. We are much better in personel and in the approach and way we keep the ball. It's just a shame a couple of first teamers have long term injuries and a couple have niggles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 79
denni266
September 17, 2023, 3:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Think over all we are not as good.. how many defenders played yesterday and how many free headers given away.. midfield same as last year so far . and dont mention strikers . Tell other teams who plays as striker for us  and they will say WHO.  Seems most teams can come up with strikers but us . Is that because anyone who has a clue does not want to play striker for us having to play from our 18 yard line because they have to be a defender as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 79
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2023, 3:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Midfield...
Conteh is an upgrade on Green and Morris.
Defense..
Rogers is an upgrade on Waterfall
Mullarkey is an upgrade on Efete.(defensively, juries out attacking wise)
Goalkeepers..
Eastwood and Cartwringht are upgrades on Max and Ollie.
Upfront...
Gnouhua, Eisa and Rose are better than anything last seasons squad gave us, I'm including Macatee be auss personally he disappointed me last season.
So all in all, yes we have an improved squad, but I'm still expecting nothing more than mid table due to the quality and budget of the teams that will sit above us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 79
Mappers
September 17, 2023, 3:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Weird one on Mullarkey as I think he is very good going forward , especially carrying the ball which I think he is much better than Michee at ,as Michee's first thought is to pass backwards whereas TM's seems to be about attacking the other teams left hand side .

All about opinions though
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 79
moosey_club
September 17, 2023, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
We have 5 less points than this time last season
We have scored less goals than this time last season (8 v 10)
We have conceded more goals (5 v 8 )
We have won less games than this time last season (2 v 4)

If we are better it isn't very apparent is it ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › are we better than last season ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.