Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Swindon (a)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Swindon (a)

This thread currently has 6,943 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 11, 2023, 10:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Price gouging is the new normal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
GollyGTFC
September 12, 2023, 6:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Wasn’t Swindon away £24 when Harry Cardwell was disgracefully hacked down for a stonewall penalty in 2018 under Jolley?

I seem to remember it was because at the time it equalled the highest I’d paid for an away match with Ipswich away in 2002/03 season).

Given how inflation has been over the past 2 years especially an increase of 12.5% from 6 seasons ago seems reasonable.

At Swindon they put away fans in the side stand in the highest priced area of the ground. The Findus Upper is £24 so it’s not that much higher than Town charge for the equivalent seat.

Swindon can only charge what they make home fans pay in the same stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 74
lukeo
September 12, 2023, 7:34am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Wasn’t Swindon away £24 when Harry Cardwell was disgracefully hacked down for a stonewall penalty in 2018 under Jolley?

I seem to remember it was because at the time it equalled the highest I’d paid for an away match with Ipswich away in 2002/03 season).

Given how inflation has been over the past 2 years especially an increase of 12.5% from 6 seasons ago seems reasonable.

At Swindon they put away fans in the side stand in the highest priced area of the ground. The Findus Upper is £24 so it’s not that much higher than Town charge for the equivalent seat.

Swindon can only charge what they make home fans pay in the same stand.

For me, yes the price is too high for a league 2 match but it's more what you get for that price. We have a tiny concourse which by 2.30pm last season was rammed and you could hardly move. If it was similar to what we provide (ie trust bar, seating indoors with tvs, fan engagement etc) I would still be annoyed at the cost but not disgusted like I am now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
HerveJosse
September 12, 2023, 8:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
I think that to some degree we have been protected from price rises  for services inour North East Lincs bubble . I pad £16 for a gin and tonic in Cambridge yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
Abdul19
September 12, 2023, 8:18am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think it was £19.93 - bonkers price because it was 25 years since their promotion to the Premier League! (and the reason why it's still in my head)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
DB
September 12, 2023, 9:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Unfortunately, we have to move with the times. You don't have to agree but you have to move with it. For reference, I can remember paying less than £3 for my late wife and I in the Pontoon and a program in the early 80's.

I've moved on, we all have to eventually.

P.S. As a 5 year old lad my dad was told to lift me over the turnstile at the Osmond end, as the operator thought I was too young to be made to pay. Would that happen today? I think not, but actions like that make you a lifelong Mariner Fan.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
GollyGTFC
September 12, 2023, 2:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

I think it was £19.93 - bonkers price because it was 25 years since their promotion to the Premier League! (and the reason why it's still in my head)

That’s probably right. It was probably the season after then.

The £24 record stood until I went to AFC Wimbledon last season when it was £25 for adults.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 74
GollyGTFC
September 12, 2023, 2:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
I think that to some degree we have been protected from price rises  for services inour North East Lincs bubble . I pad £16 for a gin and tonic in Cambridge yesterday.

I think our spells in the National League have protected us from price rises.

Home clubs can only charge away fans what they charge their own fans for the equivalent seat.

Swindon seem the worst offenders because they put away fans in their premium seating area. They charge their own fans £23 for that crappy home end.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 74
GollyGTFC
September 12, 2023, 3:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

For me, yes the price is too high for a league 2 match but it's more what you get for that price. We have a tiny concourse which by 2.30pm last season was rammed and you could hardly move. If it was similar to what we provide (ie trust bar, seating indoors with tvs, fan engagement etc) I would still be annoyed at the cost but not disgusted like I am now.

It might be small but it’s a better concourse than you will find at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 74
lukeo
September 12, 2023, 4:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It might be small but it’s a better concourse than you will find at BP.

I disagree it provides nothing at all. Concrete floor with a half decent sized telly in a bricked area that holds a maximum 500 odd people safely without being over crowded.
Our 'concourse' for away fans is spacious and offers an indoor seating area (and sofas!) with a bar and tvs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Swindon (a)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.