September 11, 2023, 10:26am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from DB

According to that wiki page he is our No10. So is Vernam on his way out?

He's injured til new year at least, which is why Hurst has signed him.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 40
pontoonlew
September 11, 2023, 6:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
Ainley could turn out to be a good signing or as bad as Crewe fans claim him to be.

One things for sure though, we should probably stop using the one example we have in Jon Nolan as some kind of benchmark of how we think a player who’s clearly lost his way might do under Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
mariner91
September 11, 2023, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from pontoonlew
Ainley could turn out to be a good signing or as bad as Crewe fans claim him to be.

One things for sure though, we should probably stop using the one example we have in Jon Nolan as some kind of benchmark of how we think a player who’s clearly lost his way might do under Hurst.

Wouldn't McAtee be a fairly good recent example?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
Oly1987
September 12, 2023, 10:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from pontoonlew

Or Fox, Crocombe, McAtee, and by his early showing this season Eisa?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
pontoonlew
September 12, 2023, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Oly1987

Or Fox, Crocombe, McAtee, and by his early showing this season Eisa?

I don’t think any of them came with bad reviews on their footballing ability though did they? It’s a bit of a myth McAtee came with scathing reviews on his footballing abilities as well.

I can’t remember a single bad word said about Crocombe or Fox & Eisa came with reviews that he was constantly injured, which he was.

Maybe Mani can count to a degree but he was largely poor when given enough time on the pitch, he cropped up with a couple of cult hero goals instead.

I know it’s not popular to read too much into bad reviews from fans but they often prove to be not too far off the mark, the good news is, I very rarely see them about many of our signings these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
diehardmariner
September 12, 2023, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pontoonlew

I don’t think any of them came with bad reviews on their footballing ability though did they? It’s a bit of a myth McAtee came with scathing reviews on his footballing abilities as well.

I can’t remember a single bad word said about Crocombe or Fox & Eisa came with reviews that he was constantly injured, which he was.

Maybe Mani can count to a degree but he was largely poor when given enough time on the pitch, he cropped up with a couple of cult hero goals instead.

I know it’s not popular to read too much into bad reviews from fans but they often prove to be not too far off the mark, the good news is, I very rarely see them about many of our signings these days.

Bloody hell, that's harsh on Mani!  I agree he's one who came here with poor reviews from previous clubs and went against the grain of them.

But he only started 3 games here (Yeovil, Kings Lynn and Eastleigh).  In fact they were the only 90 minute games where he got more than 25 minutes.  He scored against Yeovil and bagged a hat-trick against Eastleigh.  Kings Lynn he was as wasteful as everyone else on the day, I'm still amazed that we didn't get done by a smash-and-grab equaliser that about 4 of the away fans would have managed to see from the 2inch vantage point behind the goal.

I also agree on the Jon Nolan point, even though it was the first thought I had in mind when looking at Ainley. Creative midfielder, mixed reviews, a bit of a raised question mark about his aptitude rather than ability.   We probably do need to find a better and more relevant example.  But it's just such a good one to reel out when Hurst signs a player who he thinks he will get the best out of, even when all of us supporters know far better.

Bit like how every left back will always get compared to either Conor Townsend (if on loan) or Danny Andrew, more so if injury history and a striker dropping down a level will get the Amond treatment, heightened to the ninth degree if they've spent any time in League One playing on the right wing.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
chrissy
September 12, 2023, 11:22pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Looking at the photo of Callum at first I thought he was over six foot tall.
Then I realised he was stood next to Hursty.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
Nelly GTFC
March 22, 2024, 10:13am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,748
Gold Stars: 31
Posted yesterday.   Could be in the mix now for getting minutes in

Tweet 1770850355477393723 will appear here...

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
AdamHaddock
March 22, 2024, 11:14am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Welcome back Ainsleys

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
HertsGTFC
March 22, 2024, 11:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,919
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Posted yesterday.   Could be in the mix now for getting minutes in

Tweet 1770850355477393723 will appear here...

Clearly had a tough time, would be a massive achievement & boost for him.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Callum Ainley

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.