September 2, 2023, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Anyone who thinks Town fans are negative should read the Gillingham forum 😆

I just have and I am a beacon of positivity after all.

"Grimsby were bang average" and the Gills have better players than anyone else but haven't got the right formation/manager.

We played extremely well today with much more energy and a willingness to get forward but Gillingham had an absolute mare.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 102
aldi_01
September 2, 2023, 8:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I just have and I am a beacon of positivity after all.

"Grimsby were bang average" and the Gills have better players than anyone else but haven't got the right formation/manager.

We played extremely well today with much more energy and a willingness to get forward but Gillingham had an absolute mare.

Imagine having only one shot in the last minute, multiple changes and system changes to be dominated like that…town bang average though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 102
1mickylyons
September 2, 2023, 8:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56

I just have, and I am a beacon of positivity after all.

Lew I couldn't believe what I was reading?
On the one hand they have 12 points somehow but fans that take no notice of the opposition. Town are a side that look a much stiffer test for away sides and have improved in several areas since last season so why they're harping on about last season I don't know? One last thing Gillingham have a pretty poor record at Blundell Park over the years and even when they have  had good teams they have lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 102
ginnywings
September 2, 2023, 8:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Lew I couldn't believe what I was reading?
On the one hand they have 12 points somehow but fans that take no notice of the opposition. Town are a side that look a much stiffer test for away sides and have improved in several areas since last season so why they're harping on about last season I don't know? One last thing Gillingham have a pretty poor record at Blundell Park over the years and even when they have  had good teams they have lost.

Like the time they came here riding high when we had Barry Conlon in the team and we did a pack the park offer. We battered them and their manager said the players froze because of the noise and hostility in BP.

Always makes me laugh when fans name an opposition team "bang average" after they have just played them off the park. Most overused put down in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 102
Grimal
September 2, 2023, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,874
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from aldi_01

Imagine having only one shot in the last minute, multiple changes and system changes to be dominated like that…town bang average though…

If they think Town were bang average, their team must be way down on the scale.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 102
aldi_01
September 2, 2023, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I don’t think I’d have been the only fan expecting a game today and a tough test. We got a game but only from us. Gillingham were poor. I’m sure they’re not that bad every week but sometimes, as a fan you have to just sit back and realise the other side were better.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 102
gtfc_chris
September 2, 2023, 9:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Thought we were very good today but I don't think it's anything massively improved from two of the other home games. That's not downplaying today, it's suggesting that we haven't actually been poor in our other games either.

The exception of the 4 at home so far is the Mansfield game, but even that I don't think was a case of us being poor, more Mansfield being a good side and making us adapt and play to match them than the other way around.

Our general play in the Wimbledon, Salford and Gillingham games have been very similar and all of them have been impressive. I don't recall today being a barrage of shots at their goal or golden chances missed, the same as the other games. If there is a slight difference I think it was Gillingham looked the least likely to score of the trio, a positive nudge to our defensive work and organisation.

For me, the reaction is evidence of the positive bias we apply when we win. Had we lost then it would have been about not enough chances, Hurst too pragmatic and defensive, poor window etc etc. I don't believe anything we saw today is different to what we've seen already other than maybe slightly more cohesive.

None of the above designed to be critical of the team or todays result or performance, it was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and only adds to the belief we can compete with most teams in this league, even if we're not going to head and shoulders above many of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 102
Badger57
September 2, 2023, 9:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from gobby
Nothing to add apart from a good Refereeing display. Think most of you didn’t even notice he was there.

I meant to mention that myself. Yes, he was excellent. 👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Gillingham

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.