5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
August 9, 2023, 7:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Willing to let this one slide and hope it’s a one off. Also willing to let slide the fact nobody knows how to spell Rodgers or Vernam, we all have off days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
diehardmariner
August 9, 2023, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
I just presumed we had called Graham Rodger and Scott Vernon out of retirement, which made sense with the performance.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Garth
August 9, 2023, 10:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Think most of the fans on here are more disappointed than angry, not so much at the loss but of the lack of Grimsby grit and determination shown last season.
As Hurst says he has learnt a lot about individuals last night both in ability and endeavour, surprisingly players trying to show that they should be regular starters failed to prove their points when they were given their chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
NorfolkImp
August 9, 2023, 12:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
If it’s any consolation for Saturday Notts looked dreadful last night v Imps. That said Langstaff & McGoldrick were rested.

20 (Twenty) and 9 shots on target, despite only having 30% possession, we just picked them off as they offered virtually nothing.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
1mickylyons
August 9, 2023, 1:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from NorfolkImp
If it’s any consolation for Saturday Notts looked dreadful last night v Imps. That said Langstaff & McGoldrick were rested.

20 (Twenty) and 9 shots on target, despite only having 30% possession, we just picked them off as they offered virtually nothing.

Que Hurst in his pre match claiming Notts are like vintage Barcelona in all but name.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Mikey_345
August 9, 2023, 3:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Didn't make the game but from listening and watching the highlights it looks like we were lucky to get away with 2-0.

A midfield of Holohan, Green and Gnahoua will have to wait a while till it is tried again, if ever. All 3 are decent enough, just probably not all at the same time. From listening to PH it sounds like he admits he took abit of a punt to have a look and it's not worked. For me i put this down as a tried something in the cup, it didn't work, move on.

Can't buy into/understand the criticism been thrown around already after a draw and a league cup defeat. It is incredibly early days in the season and from what I have seen we are undoubtedly going to be a lot better on the ball this season but just looks like we need to get it all gelling together which ill take abit of time, understandable with an entirely new forward line and midfield.

Re Rose being isolated, think we need the wide players to work harder to get up with him in those circumstances, however I don't see us wanting to use it as an option to build our attacking play from, so unsure if just sticking another upfront actually does anything other than encouraging long balls..

Will be interesting seeing our league game against them soon with the stronger 11.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
sam gy
August 9, 2023, 4:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
At the risk of getting pelters, i think it's a shame we don't have McAtee to help link the midfield and attack this season. Think he could work well with Rose.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Poojah
August 9, 2023, 4:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from sam gy
At the risk of getting pelters, i think it's a shame we don't have McAtee to help link the midfield and attack this season. Think he could work well with Rose.

That may well be, but it looks as though he’s going to be playing Premier League football this season alongside his new mate Ross Barkley, so I think we can safely say that’s a ship that’s sailed and one that we really ought to move on from.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Chrisblor
August 9, 2023, 4:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,864
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mikey_345
Didn't make the game but from listening and watching the highlights it looks like we were lucky to get away with 2-0.

We were lucky not to lose about 7-0 given the chances Mansfield fluffed, however those highlights were INCREDIBLY selectively edited. The only chance they showed from town was Holohan spannering one miles high and wide, yet we did actually trouble their keeper on a few occasions. There was a breakaway attempt early in the 1st half which Vernam tamely hit straight at the keeper when he had options on, a header from a corner from Waterfall I think which their keeper had to dive at full stretch to keep out and a penalty shout where Khouri was absolutely murdered at the far post from a corner by their defender who had no intention at all of playing the ball (one where VAR would have intervened in the PL imo) all not included. It would have been nice to see the Pyke breakaway mentioned earlier in this thread where he passed to a marked Khouri instead of shooting himself in the highlights as well.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 9, 2023, 6:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Just a reminder that, arguably the best Town side of my lifetime, the 97/98 side, only won 1 out of the first 7 games of the season; scoring 4 goals.

They only won 1 of their first 8 league games too.

It’s far too early to judge anything, other than last night’s performance was shïte.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.