thornemariner
August 8, 2023, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from barralad

Yes I can. Rogers is a class act and if he carries on like he's done for the first two games he'll become a huge asset.
Sadly it was as much their ineptitude in front of goal as our defensive steadiness that meant the score was kept to two.

Good to see you as ever, Barra.

I was glad when that game ended. I actually  wanted the final whistle to come as soon as possible after the second goal. Had it not been for Mansfield's woeful finishing we would have been thrashed.

Had to laugh at the cashless stadium announcement. The card payment machines in the ticket office and club shop weren't working!

I see the cost of the team sheets has gone up to £1 this season!
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Limerick Mariner
August 8, 2023, 11:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
First half looked like some kind of experiment which went totally wrong. Midfield completely overrun. Gnahoua gave a good impression of Pepple’s debut in the equivalent game last season, unfortunately Mansfield didn’t perform like Crewe, except in front of goal where they were appallingly profligate.

For us to go in just a goal down and that from a schoolboy goalkeeping error really was remarkable.

Not sure why PH didn’t completely change things at HT if we really did want to get through and not treat this as just another pre-season minutes in legs job.

Don’t knownwhat was up with Glennon - he looked well off the pace.

Vernam was better than Eisa so was surprised he went off and not Eisa. Neither got anywhere near Rose though who was totally isolated. Evan did well when he came in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
chipsandgravy
August 8, 2023, 11:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Gold Stars: 37
Hurst said in his post match interview that Mansfield's performance was the best he'd seen from a League 2 team for quite a while. True as that maybe was but boy did we make it easy for them. Not at anytime did we match there commitment or energy like we did when playing them last year.
Very early days yet but feel like we are being slightly conditioned already to lower our expectations for the season despite all the new signings. However our 'first team" and a fit Khan and Wilson should and could have made a difference. Still expect a couple in and a couple out before the window shuts.
Special mention to Rodgers who I think is going to be a great player for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
gtfc98
August 8, 2023, 11:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Listened to the game on Hullberside and just watched the highlights. When I saw that midfield 2 I wasn't very hopefully of a good result but deary me they looked awful as a pair, particularly on that second goal. Thank god we have Hunt, Conteh and Clifton. Either one of Holohan and Green are fine in the middle but not together. Complete lack of mobility and zero creativity. Bad day at the office, got to improve on Saturday.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Kris2
August 9, 2023, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Seems like Hurst used the game to give some more minutes to fringe players but it all went so very wrong. Cartwright decided to do his best Calamity James impression and failed to make a simple clearance gifting them a chance. I guess every keeper will have a few of those in their career, some more than others. The second goal it almost looks like nobody was all that bothered, just strolled through like 5 players and slotted the ball in the corner under no pressure. Waterfall made the smallest attempt to block then blamed everybody else. Seems like none of the players who came in made a case for getting into the starting line up on that showing.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Gilbertswand
August 9, 2023, 12:37am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +183
Gold Stars: 21
We were a yard off the pace and lucky to only lose by two.

Mansfield played some cracking stuff and exposed Glennon time and again....TBF Glennon had very little support from Vernham and Gnahoua (who looked like he needed a preseason)..

We seem like a team caught in two minds...we seem to be pressing higher when we haven't got the ball, which i like, but when we have... we get caught in two minds between playing it into feet and playing it in behind.
Rose for all his endeavour isn't a target man and i think this is what we need to accompany him...Hopefully Pyke is that man, if not id love to see Armstrong in.

We have to put in perspective. Its early days...it was a much changed team and we have a lot of new players who are still getting used to each other....Mansfield were excellent all over the pitch and will be right up there..

Rogers looks a class act again and we really missed Hunt and Conteh, who i think would have been better suited for tonight's game if we were going to match Mansfield's quick passing.

I like Green for his passion, commitment and professionalism. However, he lacks the quality...which is a shame.

Holohan looked ineffective and maybe NL is his level.

Sad to hear the fans abusing the team. Even in jest its not helpful.

Anyway onwards and upwards to Saturday, We could do with a goal. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 9, 2023, 6:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Results are irrelevant, sustainability is the key, in hurst we trust

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Northbank Mariner
August 9, 2023, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Another game where we offered nothing, and I mean nothing in front of goal, never mind how classy Mansfield looked (which they did, and on that showing will be top 3-6), we are absolutely toothless, no decent balls into the box, no clever passes, its the same issues as last season and that worries me more than our overall p!ss poor performance last night!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
male private Nale
August 9, 2023, 7:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Just give me 442 , never hear of your strikers being isolated then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Mappers
August 9, 2023, 7:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
After a period of reflection on the drive back I put it down to a bad day at the office , it was a performance we saw too many times in our decline but the lads who were here last season and  in the promotion season have hardly ever let us down so we can give them one off night

The newer one's playing in a team that was bits and pieces with a couple of square pegs in round holes deserve a bit of leeway to .

I was annoyed last night as nearly always Hurst teams compete and are in the game , but last night we just were not .

I am hopeful for a hell of a lot better Saturday and that win, lose or draw we give them a very tough game . Notts fans seem to be at panic stations after their  two losses - keep it tight and they may well get edgy Saturday ; we get a result and Tuesday is forgotten .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.