ginnywings
July 30, 2023, 10:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Davec
These lapses of concentration in defence needs to be ironed out, firstly I know we have league 2 defenders so there's always going to be lapses of concentration and moments of really poor defending but last season I thought our defence has an whole we're fairly solid but had too many lapses of concentration, same as the season before in our promotion season, it's uncharacteristic of a Hurst team in my experience so he must be slightly concerned how we always seem to be prone to it. Just something to iron out hopefully before it costs us too many sloppy goals.

Defensive errors are the root cause of most goals.

Watch MOTD on a Saturday night and you will see plenty of them by Premier League players. There would barely be any goals scored without them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 112
louth_in_the_south
July 30, 2023, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
What I liked from the first half highlights was how quickly we pressed to win the ball back

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 112
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 30, 2023, 11:58am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 117
If we play like that every game against League 2 opposition, we shouldn't have any problems against any of the other teams. Having a new front line gives us so many more options, and having quite possibly the best defence in the League......

We just need to gel a little better and we should be 20 points clear by Christmas  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 112
cmackenzie4
July 30, 2023, 12:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I’ve been to 2 friendlies (Grimsby Borough and Lincoln) I think we look decent, them highlights from Fleetwood yesterday give me hope for this season, we look to be more pressing than past seasons and pass the ball around well.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 112
HatTrickHero
July 30, 2023, 12:12pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +779
Gold Stars: 25
The conceded goal vs Fleetwood was all too familar, cutting across from near the byline for a tap in, also familiar is the similar move we make 2nd half with a superb ball cut across to the far post only to be met by their defender who traps it almlost on the goal line and takes an age to decide what to do. Hoping that Wilson will be the far-post forager that can put these away.
If the highlights are accurate though, it looks like the best team lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 112
Kris2
July 30, 2023, 3:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I’ve been to 2 friendlies (Grimsby Borough and Lincoln) I think we look decent, them highlights from Fleetwood yesterday give me hope for this season, we look to be more pressing than past seasons and pass the ball around well.

Apart from missing a quality finish in the box and some bad luck we did just about everything else right except get a goal and I'd imagine most would feel it was deserved on balance. The pressing game playing out from the back is something Hurst has been trying to instill but has lacked the players to do it and had to adjust accordingly. Some decent ball playing defenders have been added and the way they are playing in  pre season shows why these players were bought in. If we can sort out the final third and get a bit more composure and quality in finishing off counter attacks then we'll be a tough team to play against this season. It's the sort of formation and style players like Clifton with a high level of fitness can thrive in and somebody like Hunt who was also around last season can get more joy with as the passing and playmaking is more what he does over ball winning and defending which is why he struggled with the more defensive style of midfield last season.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 112
TonySmith
July 30, 2023, 3:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
Judging from those highlights, we played some very nice football, were the better team, and were unlucky to lose. Fleetwood's goal came from a pretty slick move, to be fair, but we created most of the decent chances. Taking pre-season as a whole, I'm cautiously optimistic for a good season. I'm pretty sure we'll create chances. Only time will tell how good we are at taking them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 112
forza ivano
July 30, 2023, 3:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
Atent Fleetwood firm favourites to be relegated?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 112
Teestogreen
July 30, 2023, 5:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Where was this game advertised ?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 112
marinerjase
July 30, 2023, 5:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from Teestogreen
Where was this game advertised ?

Well it was announced on the official site ages ago, and mentioned numerous times during pre season. No secret.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Fleetwood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.