12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
July 29, 2023, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
I’m leaning towards pre season being too intense with too many matches and too much game time for some with not enough for others. Quite a bit of that is down to unavailable players and bad luck but a really positive picture and sense of optimism now looks to me, to be somewhat flat, with the squad now looking thin in attacking areas and goalscoring potential. And Im a pragmatic sort of supporter who very rarely finds himself feeling pessimistic.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
Mappers
July 29, 2023, 6:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,473
Gold Stars: 119
I think we will have a very good season , carrying a small squad has it's risks though and it's going to probably mean at some point (assuming Hurst does not use 6 loans ) that one or two of the untried might need to be used -I'm thinking Braithwaite at this point as he seems to be getting a decent amount of minutes in pre season .

My only concern is goals , can we score enough to take us from 10th-14th up towards that upper tier ?

I'm not so sure , but what I do think is we will be much easier on the eye than last season and a better watch at home .

Looking forward to The Wombles
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
buckstown
July 29, 2023, 7:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 79
I know lots of people are critical of Glennons defensive work but sound like his delivery was spot on today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
GyMariner
July 29, 2023, 7:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
Do we really have that many injuries? Judging by PH post match it sounds like we have 2 definitely out, likely to be Pyke and one other? Eisa sounds ok, and we have a couple due back training next week, maybe Wilson and Khan?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
thefish
July 29, 2023, 7:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GyMariner
Do we really have that many injuries? Judging by PH post match it sounds like we have 2 definitely out, likely to be Pyke and one other? Eisa sounds ok, and we have a couple due back training next week, maybe Wilson and Khan?

That’s it mate- sportsmen are going to feel slight niggles, especially after a break, and then the sensible thing to do in pre-season is rest. But, don’t let that get in the way of the ‘too intense a pre-season/ Dave Moore’s methods are dated conspiracy’ that currently seems to be building.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
HerveJosse
July 29, 2023, 7:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GyMariner

If you think Khan and Wilson are starting next week after missing the last three games you are in cloud cuckoo land. Hurst is not going to say in post match interview we have five out next week so bring it on Wimbledon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
Spurn boy
July 29, 2023, 7:57pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from GyMariner

Exactly that, you can’t expect 20 plus players to turn up for pre season training and friendly games and not pick up the odd injury, every team suffers these problems and town are no different. Hursty can sometimes be a bit doom and gloom in his after match interviews but even he was upbeat in regards to players returning from injuries. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
chelseacity
July 29, 2023, 8:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Overall we matched Fleetwood today, the same problem as it has  been for several years, finishing off good moves that should result in goals. We did have a few good chances, but the difference between winners and losers is being clinical, as yet we are not clinical. We need to be faster on the break, and we need to cut out the silly 100 yard balls in the air that almost never result in anything but giving the ball back to the opposition. Lovely little ground, great support from the Mariners fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
GyMariner
July 29, 2023, 8:30pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from HerveJosse

If you think Khan and Wilson are starting next week after missing the last three games you are in cloud cuckoo land. Hurst is not going to say in post match interview we have five out next week so bring it on Wimbledon

Who said anything about starting? Would it be unreasonable to say we could start with a front three of Vernam, Rose, Eisa. Then bring on Wilson and Khan in the last 20 or so? Hardly struggling if that’s so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
arryarryarry
July 29, 2023, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from chelseacity
Overall we matched Fleetwood today, the same problem as it has  been for several years, finishing off good moves that should result in goals. We did have a few good chances, but the difference between winners and losers is being clinical, as yet we are not clinical. We need to be faster on the break, and we need to cut out the silly 100 yard balls in the air that almost never result in anything but giving the ball back to the opposition. Lovely little ground, great support from the Mariners fans.

I thought we were better than them in the first half, we created several chances especially in a mad scramble just before the half time whistle, sadly the same old story, poor defending let them in.

Their subs improved them and they looked the better side, ours didn't improve us and we created diddly squat in that second half.

I was a big fan of Vernam when he was last here but apart from that glaring miss I can't remember anything else he has done. He needs to improve quickly.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Fleetwood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.