12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
July 26, 2023, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 116
Watched it on Mariner TV. Couldn't comment on this game as I didn't have a clue what was happening with picture freezing every 10 secs. and urine poor commentary. Enjoyed reading the match thread on here though. Can't wait for the season to start and get back to B.P.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 112
HatTrickHero
July 26, 2023, 9:15am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from golfer
Watched it on Mariner TV. Couldn't comment on this game as I didn't have a clue what was happening with picture freezing every 10 secs. and urine poor commentary. Enjoyed reading the match thread on here though. Can't wait for the season to start and get back to B.P.

Watched the stream and  it was perfect, not a single frame drop or stutter, might be worth checking your broadband. John Moore's a bit meh for me, don't mind him but I'd go for the commentator/co-commentator any day, though for a £5 friendly I don't mind us keeping it basic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 112
buckstown
July 26, 2023, 9:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Don't you just love football forums!
The fishy - generally great performance, full of promise for the new season
Vital Lincoln - based on the first half against our juniors, if that was the cods starting line up they're going to struggle this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 112
Mallyner
July 26, 2023, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from buckstown
Vital Lincoln - based on the first half against our juniors, if that was the cods starting line up they're going to struggle this season

I didn't spot many Lincoln fans doing 'high sixes' last night.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 112
Garth
July 26, 2023, 9:46am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Lincoln fans last night were a pretty subdued lot nothing for them to cheer about, content with kicking a ball around the stand to ease their embarrassment, what a waste of money following that shower
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 112
diehardmariner
July 26, 2023, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Surrey97
I really liked the dynamic between Hunt, Conteh and Clifton in midfield tonight. Think that trio has real potential.

Agreed.  I think the signing of Conteh pushes others in the team and the team overall to the next level.  He's a proper holding midfielder, not someone who can just take the ball of the defenders and/or protect them.  I took a bit of time in the second half to watch his movement and he's literally a linchpin, his movement dictates everything around him.  The way he takes the ball under pressure and moves opposition sides will open up teams for fun in League Two.  It was joyful watching Lincoln try a high press on him and get dragged about like unorganised schoolkids.    

Conteh in that role frees up Hunt too.  Was speaking to my brother-in-law the other week, as a Wednesday fan he's got a fleeting interest in Hunt's development was genuinely surprised we were using him in that No.4 type role.  Said he was always viewed at Wednesday as someone who would play further forward, an understudy to Barry Bannan is how he described him.  

Hunt himself has clearly bulked up and that's only going to help his game.  But getting him further forward where he can unlock teams is very exciting.  I thought Clifton, Vernam and Eisa all drifted in and out the game, not at all concerned by that.  We know what Clifton is about.  Vernam and Eisa are probably going to do that most the season, if they had anything near 100% consistency they wouldn't be dicking about at this level.  What I like about how Hurst has built this team is that there's so much going forward.  If the wingers aren't doing much, the overlapping full-backs will offer something.  There's two guys in midfield who are pressing high, helped by Rose pulling defenders out of position.  

Eastwood looked great.  Big, commanding, distributed well with hands and feet and some very smart saves.  

Maher and Rodgers look a hell of a pairing.  Both good on the deck, strong in the air and we don't look like we'll struggle for pace either.  Was impressed again with Mullarkey too, hope he was just taken off as a pre-caution.

Reserves or not, we schooled Lincoln in that first half. Some of our play was an absolute joy to watch.  Second half we tired and they brought a stronger side on who were fresh, was only going to swing the balance of play.

Deluge of rain mid-game and then just as leaving the ground, thought I'd escaped it.  5 minute walk back to the car and it looked and felt like I'd swam the Humber.  Sods law that it eased off the moment you get in the car too.  July, eh?
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 112
nealeardleyscrossing
July 26, 2023, 9:51am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from buckstown

I wouldn't worry about Vitals and their opinions as you suggest forums will always be biased.

The reality is always probably in between the two - The team we played for the first 65 minutes bar maybe 1 player will not be near our 1st team - but to limit a strong L2 side to 2 goals I think bodes well for their development. The last 25 odd minutes probably had 7-8 of our first team, maybe Tyler walker gets added to that, and I am pretty certain we will add another player or two. From what I gather we were the better side for this last part of the match and your keeper was outstanding.

I have read a few posts on here suggesting we were almost arrogant by playing our reserve side against you, but is much more down to science with pre season and putting certain minutes in legs - Hurst would have known this - Kennedy put this message on our website so it was not a secret. We put our 1st team out against Boston United and beat them 7-0, you will probably play your second string?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 112
HatTrickHero
July 26, 2023, 10:14am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
I think we all acknowledge that Vitals is the place where serious football discussion goes to die. Even Norfolk Imp incurred the wrath of Vitals Admin, sorry, 'owner' when questioning their performance and daring to praise a couple of Town players.

No struggles this season, this is a team that more than comfortably competed in last seasons L2 that has now had extra strength and skill added to all areas.
Apparently we're all so happy to have won 2-0 against their 'kids and trialists'...no, we're happy bc even when Lincoln threw on SEVEN subs and effectively made their team a more than half decent outfit we simply changed gear and while Lincoln improved a lot we still had it in us to contain them, despite just one sub. Eastwood made some very good saves and had an excellent game but the shots were hardly peppering his goal.

In the true nature of friendly games we had a couple of questions and even slight doubts answered in the game and saw that the fitness, strength and passing game is coming along nicely while Lincoln probably took away more questions than answers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 112
TownSNAFU5
July 26, 2023, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Hunt has a lot of time to improve.  Modric is still top class and he must be at least 50! 😏. Modric only has a slight build as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 112
July 26, 2023, 11:56am
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

Agreed.  I think the signing of Conteh pushes others in the team and the team overall to the next level.  He's a proper holding midfielder, not someone who can just take the ball of the defenders and/or protect them.  I took a bit of time in the second half to watch his movement and he's literally a linchpin, his movement dictates everything around him.  The way he takes the ball under pressure and moves opposition sides will open up teams for fun in League Two.  It was joyful watching Lincoln try a high press on him and get dragged about like unorganised schoolkids.    

Conteh in that role frees up Hunt too.  Was speaking to my brother-in-law the other week, as a Wednesday fan he's got a fleeting interest in Hunt's development was genuinely surprised we were using him in that No.4 type role.  Said he was always viewed at Wednesday as someone who would play further forward, an understudy to Barry Bannan is how he described him.  

Hunt himself has clearly bulked up and that's only going to help his game.  But getting him further forward where he can unlock teams is very exciting.  I thought Clifton, Vernam and Eisa all drifted in and out the game, not at all concerned by that.  We know what Clifton is about.  Vernam and Eisa are probably going to do that most the season, if they had anything near 100% consistency they wouldn't be dicking about at this level.  What I like about how Hurst has built this team is that there's so much going forward.  If the wingers aren't doing much, the overlapping full-backs will offer something.  There's two guys in midfield who are pressing high, helped by Rose pulling defenders out of position.  

Eastwood looked great.  Big, commanding, distributed well with hands and feet and some very smart saves.  

Maher and Rodgers look a hell of a pairing.  Both good on the deck, strong in the air and we don't look like we'll struggle for pace either.  Was impressed again with Mullarkey too, hope he was just taken off as a pre-caution.

Reserves or not, we schooled Lincoln in that first half. Some of our play was an absolute joy to watch.  Second half we tired and they brought a stronger side on who were fresh, was only going to swing the balance of play.

Deluge of rain mid-game and then just as leaving the ground, thought I'd escaped it.  5 minute walk back to the car and it looked and felt like I'd swam the Humber.  Sods law that it eased off the moment you get in the car too.  July, eh?

100% agree re Conteh.  I noticed late on in the first half how calm and collected he was both on and off the ball, and like DHM, made a point of watching him even more closely in the second half and liked what I saw.  I think we have a real player here who may go on to be a star further up the Leagues, lets hope so!

Reply: 99 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Lincoln

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.